Customer Service 866.965.0400

HGG over ceramic line?

BBQbirch

Question

Hello, new here and new to Adam’s products…

I just bought a new crossover suv with lots of black plastic, silver painted wheels, and silver-blue metallic body paint. It’s a daily driver that sits outside in the northeast (90’s in the summer and lots of salt and snow in the winter).

This is what I have from Adam’s: Ceramic Spray Coating (CSC), Ceramic Liquid Wax (CLW), Ceramic Boost 2.0 (CB2), Ceramic Waterless Wash (CWW), Glass Sealant (GS), Tire & Rubber Cleaner (TRC), Tire Armor (TA). I also have a various collection of Strip Wash, Clay Bars, Polishes, etc.

This is what I’ve done so far In > This > Order

(after iron remover, strip wash, clay):

On the plastic: CSC > CB2 > CWW

On the paint: CSC > CLW > CB2 > CWW

On the wheels: CSC > CLW > CB2 > CWW

On the glass:

GS only on the windshield,

GS > CB2 > CWW on all other glass

First question… Am I doing it right? Layers in the right order?

Second question(s) is about HGG. I read that it is a hybrid with Carnuba and SiO2. Is that right?

It sounds like it would really add some pop to the metallic paint, and really easy to apply.

I was thinking CB2 about 2-3 times a year with the HGG about once a month.

Can it be used as a topper over the CB2? Or is that a bad idea?

Should I just stick to CB2 with CWW about once a month?

I just asked this question on Amazon, and then I found this forum. Lots of great info here! Thanks!

22 answers to this question

Great questions- so your layering sounds like you did it right.

One thing I want to point out, is to wait at least 4 hours after applying CSC before layering anything.

Also the CWW is really really great. I don’t know if it’s fully necessary to use it as a “layer” after CB2, but it works amazing as a quick detailer and as a drying aid.

in terms of HGG, it works better over a paint sealant than it does over the Ceramic Coating. I think you would want to use CB2 as your topper about once a month ish. Or that’s what people here seem to prefer.

however I’m a huge fan of HGG it’s one of my favorites! It protects so well and looks so dang good!!

The new HGG with "Hybrid Technology" printed on the front (and smells like honey dew) will play well with ceramic coatings because, as you said, it does contain silica. The original version, if that's what you have (smells like grape), is best applied in conjunction with Paint Sealant (same product families). But HGG still shouldn't be applied more than about once a month or so, like the Ceramic Boost, or it will build up on the coating. While Ceramic Boost is designed for coatings, alternating between both is fine, but you may find one you like more than the other. Play around and see what you like.

Agreed with @Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin that the Ceramic Waterless is INCREDIBLE! I love it, and the uses he outlined are perfect for light dust, fingerprints, etc.

1 hour ago, Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin said:

One thing I want to point out, is to wait at least 4 hours after applying CSC before layering anything.

I actually found the CSC looking for a coating that has less cure time than the usual 12-24 hours of thicker coatings. This is on a daily driver that sits outside. 12 hours after a wash it has some dust on it from a busy highway nearby, and it almost always has dew settled on it overnight. I applied it in the morning after a rainy night (keeps the dust down a bit). So, yeah, the 4 hour cure time was just what I was looking for.

It’s also very forgiving. I think Adam’s recommends an MF towel, but I used an MF applicator. It rainbows like any true ceramic; however, it still comes off easy if you leave it on too long. I even had the sun hit it mid process, and it still came off easy. I wouldn’t recommend applying it in direct sunlight or on a hot surface, but, you know, stuff happens when you’re working outside.

1 hour ago, Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin said:

Also the CWW is really really great. I don’t know if it’s fully necessary to use it as a “layer” after CB2, but it works amazing as a quick detailer and as a drying aid.

50 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

Agreed with @Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin that the Ceramic Waterless is INCREDIBLE! I love it, and the uses he outlined are perfect for light dust, fingerprints, etc.

Wait. What. I didn’t realize the CWW could also be used as a drying agent. I’ll be trying that.

51 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

The new HGG with "Hybrid Technology" printed on the front (and smells like honey dew) will play well with ceramic coatings because, as you said, it does contain silica. The original version, if that's what you have (smells like grape), is best applied in conjunction with Paint Sealant (same product families). But HGG still shouldn't be applied more than about once a month or so, like the Ceramic Boost, or it will build up on the coating. While Ceramic Boost is designed for coatings, alternating between both is fine, but you may find one you like more than the other. Play around and see what you like.

Ah! Ha! So maybe some of the comments I’ve read might be talking about the old version. I’ve read some saying there is NO SiO2 in HGG, and others saying there is 5%. That clears up some confusion.

I haven’t purchased the HGG yet, so I’ll make sure it’s the new version. I was thinking I would try HGG in the summer and then stick with the Ceramic Boost just before winter. From what I understand, the Boost is the more-durable of the two? Not much car washing around here from December thru February… maybe a touchless drive thru if its above freezing for a few days.

Thanks for the replies!

49 minutes ago, BBQbirch said:

I actually found the CSC looking for a coating that has less cure time than the usual 12-24 hours of thicker coatings. This is on a daily driver that sits outside. 12 hours after a wash it has some dust on it from a busy highway nearby, and it almost always has dew settled on it overnight. I applied it in the morning after a rainy night (keeps the dust down a bit). So, yeah, the 4 hour cure time was just what I was looking for.

It’s also very forgiving. I think Adam’s recommends an MF towel, but I used an MF applicator. It rainbows like any true ceramic; however, it still comes off easy if you leave it on too long. I even had the sun hit it mid process, and it still came off easy. I wouldn’t recommend applying it in direct sunlight or on a hot surface, but, you know, stuff happens when you’re working outside.

Wait. What. I didn’t realize the CWW could also be used as a drying agent. I’ll be trying that.

Ah! Ha! So maybe some of the comments I’ve read might be talking about the old version. I’ve read some saying there is NO SiO2 in HGG, and others saying there is 5%. That clears up some confusion.

I haven’t purchased the HGG yet, so I’ll make sure it’s the new version. I was thinking I would try HGG in the summer and then stick with the Ceramic Boost just before winter. From what I understand, the Boost is the more-durable of the two? Not much car washing around here from December thru February… maybe a touchless drive thru if its above freezing for a few days.

Thanks for the replies!

Yes! Hey I have a recommendation for you for December to February. Take a look at Rinseless Wash.. it’s really a great product. And again the ceramic waterless wash!

Im just going to speak up for winter washing portion.  I do full washes when possible with warm/hot bucket water.  My pressure washer is always hooked up in the garage, so its a matter of turning on the main outside water supply in my basement and a quick connect to the front spigot.  I do this on sunny days over 40.

Moving along,  i will never use a tunnel wash, touchless or not

yes im also ceramic coated...

I will hit the pay and spray often, knock off salt and snow, finish with the spot free rinse, and its right off the highway, so I hit that at like 90-100mph and I’m good.  The dumb blowers at the pay and spray are broke and he wont fix them 🤬

9 hours ago, Nickfire20 said:

Moving along,  i will never use a tunnel wash, touchless or not

I might visit the car wash once or twice a year in the winter, but I usually stay away. I get an undercarriage wash (touchless tunnel) to blast away the salt and grime build-up in the spring before I start waxing/coating again. I live in the Rust Belt of Western Pennsylvania, so I have to wait until April before the rains get all the salt washed away.

There’s a carwash right around the corner from my house that has a touchless tunnel and a few pay n spray bays, and they do detailing. The owner tells me the drain water all runs through the same tanks and same recycling filters, and they all use the same high-ph soap no matter what bay you're in. The only really clean water is the spot-free rinse which runs through the RO filter. Municipalities all have different water restrictions, but I believe this is typical of most car washes. I’m sure some of the pros on here could offer more insight on this.

Which reminds me… I used the CSC and CB on the plastic wheel wells. The grime just sprays right off now. I also keep an old wash mitt around just for this. I think I’ll hit it again with the CB a few times this summer/fall. I don’t imagine there will be anything left after being blasted with salt all winter, but I guess I’ll see how long it lasts.

10 hours ago, Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin said:

Yes! Hey I have a recommendation for you for December to February. Take a look at Rinseless Wash.. it’s really a great product. And again the ceramic waterless wash!

Has anyone used this with a clay mitt?

Dunk > Wipe > Rinse > Repeat

And when will Adam's come out with a fine-grade mitt?

1 hour ago, BBQbirch said:

Has anyone used this with a clay mitt?

Dunk > Wipe > Rinse > Repeat

And when will Adam's come out with a fine-grade mitt?

Are you talking  about rinsless wash? Yes you can dilute it into clay lube. Dilute it into a spray bottle, I think the ratio can be as low as 1:64 for claylube and I would put in a spray bottle instead of a bucket to dunk in. 

Use the bucket method with a dilutions ratio of 1:128 ish and some Adams double soft towels and use that to actually wash your car. Dunk, wipe, flip towels and I tend not to put those back in the bucket, but use a new towel when the first one is soiled

5 hours ago, Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin said:

Are you talking  about rinsless wash? Yes you can dilute it into clay lube. Dilute it into a spray bottle, I think the ratio can be as low as 1:64 for claylube and I would put in a spray bottle instead of a bucket to dunk in.

Yes. I’ve never done it yet, just watched some videos using diluted rinseless wash in a bucket as lube for a clay mitt. Do one panel at a time (or less) and spray the mitt with a hose, then dunk again.

Dunk > Panel > Rinse > Repeat

I guess this is probably best in a new post… I'm getting way off topic, haha.

But anyway…

I ordered a bottle of HGG, so I’ll post something after I try it out.

I applied the HGG a few days ago using the damp towel method. The gloss is great, but so is the CB. Both leave a glass-like wet look. I think the HGG does add a little depth, and definitely makes the metallic paint pop a bit more.

It’s rained on it a few times and the hydrophobics still look pretty good. I had read that the HGG might change the characteristics of the ceramic due to it also having some carnuba in it. So far, I don’t see any difference… still has the same small tight beads.

I guess I’ll know a little more after I do a quick wash today with a plain car wash soap (no wash and wax or drying agents). Just wash and dry.

10 hours ago, BBQbirch said:

I had read that the HGG might change the characteristics of the ceramic due to it also having some carnuba in it.

Not sure where you read that? Maybe the old did, but the new HGG was a near total makeover of the old (RIP, grape scent 😢) and as you point out, has silica so will play fine with coatings. Just don't apply it more than once a month or so as if can build up.

19 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

Not sure where you read that? Maybe the old did

Yep, you're right... just found that comment again in the pinned HGG thread.

It wasn't about the carnuba, it was about having no sio2.

The comment was recent (April):

"...it would detract from the characteristics of a ceramic coating as HGG has noSIO2..."

Apparently still talking about the old version, doesn't know there is a new version?

I think this is one of the comments I read before you cleared things up for me.

Maybe they should have rebranded the new version with a new name? 

Or maybe add a callout on the front of the bottle "New Improved Formula, Now with SiO2"

IDK... just a thought, if anyone from adams is reading?

Oh, and I did wash it today. It looks great. They should definitely leave the word "gloss" on the bottle!

I think it looks better than when I first applied it, if that's possible, lol