Customer Service 866.965.0400

Engine bay cleaning tips?

stalebreadjr

Question

So, I've watched several videos from the Adams team about cleaning and polishing the engine bay, but I'm still left with the question "what do i need to cover or avoid spraying with water?"  In all the videos it is just stated that newer cars are "bulletproof" to spray the engine bay full on with light pressure water hose or pressure washer. 

I'm sure I'm not the first to ask so maybe you guys can point me to a thread in the past where this was discussed or give me your method.   Both my vehicles are 2016 or higher. 

Thanks in advance! 

10 answers to this question

I cover the alternator.

Blow dry then let it sit for a while before starting just to make sure the bay is dry. You can also used distilled water since it doesn’t contain the impurities that can cause electrical issues. Worx Hydroshot with the 1 liter bottle adapter is great for engine bays. 

Edited by GXPaycheck

FWIW, I've never covered anything and I've never had a problem, but I'm careful about where I spray water and what I let get wet. You should be fine if you use low pressure spray and stay away from the fuse box, electrical connections, and the air intake.

What make/model? Besides British cars that will like up like a Christmas tree, if all stock and no aftermarket parts, you're good to go on the whole engine bay with a light fan of water. I've done it to my car (2013), and seen Adam do it on a newer model Corvette at a clinic without covering a thing. Rhe videos are street, but here's a thread since you asked (embedded video since deleted).

And the videos Adam's has are spot on, so since I don't know which you've watched, here's some to (re?) watch. In fairness, I did see you'll want to cover open filters or exposed electrical. I didn't cover my battery and didn't have any issues, either. 

In the end if in doubt, cover it. No harm, no foul that way.

2 hours ago, falcaineer said:

What make/model? Besides British cars that will like up like a Christmas tree, if all stock and no aftermarket parts, you're good to go on the whole engine bay with a light fan of water. I've done it to my car (2013), and seen Adam do it on a newer model Corvette at a clinic without covering a thing. Rhe videos are street, but here's a thread since you asked (embedded video since deleted).

And the videos Adam's has are spot on, so since I don't know which you've watched, here's some to (re?) watch. In fairness, I did see you'll want to cover open filters or exposed electrical. I didn't cover my battery and didn't have any issues, either. 

In the end if in doubt, cover it. No harm, no foul that way.

The second video was one i watched and 1 with Adam himself, I'll have to find it.  My vehicles are 2016 dodge ram 1500 and 2018 jeep compass, no after market, no modifications. Thanks for the thread and other video, checking them out now Chris.  Thanks everyone for your input! 

Oddly enough, that thread is kind of indicative of what I see with answers varying so much. I wish the original video was still up as it sounds like it was very descriptive! It's obvious all the concerns are from folks not wanting the "Christmas tree"effect lol! 

Honestly, Matt,. I think you'll be just fine with both vehicles. Again, if you're in any doubt, cover the part. Take some before and afters to post when you're done (and no, I don't mean of the dashboard 😆).

Here's that one with Adam...

10 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

Honestly, Matt,. I think you'll be just fine with both vehicles. Again, if you're in any doubt, cover the part. Take some before and afters to post when you're done (and no, I don't mean of the dashboard 😆).

Here's that one with Adam...

This is actually the one I saw, finally found it again.  In this one he doesn't have anything covered and uses a pressure washer, it also has the "VRT milk"procedure in it.  I'll be sure to document my process and hopefully will not have any negative outcome. 

8 minutes ago, stalebreadjr said:

This is actually the one I saw, finally found it again.  In this one he doesn't have anything covered and uses a pressure washer, it also has the "VRT milk"procedure in it.  I'll be sure to document my process and hopefully will not have any negative outcome. 

Yeah, I've seen him use a pressure washer, as well, so should've mentioned that above. Actually forgot about that recent video, so I'm glad you found and posted it. Happy cleaning!

I use Rinseless Wash with 'work' MF towels and a few brushes.  Modern cars are mostly plastic cladding, and so they clean fairly easily.  I will hit my truck with APC sometimes, then rinse with a stream of water, no pressure.  Then I make everything look good with VRT 'milk' - VRT and distilled water - start with about 70% VRT to 30% water, and adjust for your tastes.