Customer Service 866.965.0400

Single stage paint buffing?

Wrenchin

Question

19 answers to this question

Does this mean I can use the swirl remover too?

Yes you can, if necessary. Single stage paint corrects much easier than clear coat, so always be sure to start with the least aggressive method...that being FMP.

Also, it will all but ruin your pads.

Here's a single stage truck we did a demo on in Carlisle:

4ezu4uha.jpg

Ruined, not hardly, stained: yea a bit.

Nick, I brought them home just to see what I could do with them. The pads were soaked in 2oz of APC separately for several hours then cleaned just like any other pad. The Single Soft microfiber towel was soaked in an ounce of Microfiber Revitalizer overnight, wrung out, soaked again for a couple/few hours and cleaned in with the rest of my towels.

The White pad has a bit more pink to it than my others have from just Detail Spray, but not much more. The Orange pad appears to have come completely clean. The Green pad has a pinkish hue in the center. The Single Soft has some pretty good stains left but is clean.

IMG_5590resize.jpg

Yes you can, if necessary. Single stage paint corrects much easier than clear coat, so always be sure to start with the least aggressive method...that being FMP.

Also, it will all but ruin your pads.

Here's a single stage truck we did a demo on in Carlisle:

4ezu4uha.jpg

Thanks, awesome job...

Dave, have you tried using those pads yet? I've "cleaned" pads of my own after doing a single stage car, just as you did with the ones we used. They looked and felt perfect after cleaning, but the next time I used them on a cleared car, I ran into more dusting than normal and some strange issues with flashing times. I assumed there was still some paint left in them, so they have been relegated to "single-stage only" duty.

Just my .02...

I've discovered the same thing Nick. I had a white & orange pad from a single stage polish recently and was able to "save" them with a good soaking & cleaning. However the next usage of the white pad I noticed a lot of dusting as well on a cleared finish. I have not used the orange a 2nd time though.

Maybe it all depends on the overall usage somebody may have used them for on the first round. For now, I too have declared those pads as "single stage" only for future polishing.

Standing by for Dave's response.

Nick/John, I've not used these pads since cleaning, but they rinsed clear and seem clean. I've only had one experience with foam pads and single stage paint. Threw the orange out (it was worn out) and cleaned and reused the white without issue that I can recall. The car was black but no where near as oxidized as the Ford Truck, so no where near as much paint in those pads as these.

"Back in the day" late 70's early 80's every vehicle I did was single stage, but I was using wool pads on a rotary and we simply threw the pads in the washing machine with the towels. Never had issue with them but a different material. Foam material and cell design could be a factor.

I've got a late model Toyota Sienna scheduled within the next couple/few weeks and will give the pads a try on it, if not before, and let you guys know how they worked.

Dave and John,

When removing other products from the paint (sealant, glaze, wax) will those products pull paint up also? Just curious so I know whether I should designate specific towels or not. My dad is looking at buying a '70 Nova SS that's been restored but the previous owner only did a single stage paint and it would definitely need polished. I already know that if he buys it that he'll want a correction done so I know I'm going to get a set of pads designated for the car, but don't know if I'll need designated towels for removing LSPs also (I assume I will). Additionally, what about DS wipe downs? I would assume there wouldn't be an issue with paint transfer there?

BTW I'm anal about my premium towels getting "ruined" in a sense. Ha.

Edited by egott_91

Erik, depending on the paint condition and how aggressive you are there always could be the chance for your towels to gather some color transfer. For the most part I haven't really experienced anything significant or even at all with the numerous single stage paints I've worked on. To be cautious I would plan on using some towels that may not be brand new. Remember you can soak them afterwards to bring them back to life again since what does get on there is only going to be minor.

I just did a 72 Nova a few weeks ago and it had a very annoying Dupont single stage black paint. As always the pads were changing color on the most aggressive rounds then from there it wasn't as bad. So by the time the sealants/wax was ready to be removed there was no overall color transferring to the towels. From there there shouldn't be any color transfer from the DS wipe downs either since the paint is now protected with your LSP.

Edited by JBlack151

Erik, Most all of any paint transfer is going to come from the polishing steps. Once you have the paint corrected not much more should lift. If it does it should almost completely wash out if your washing the pads and towels correctly, if there's any staining left it shouldn't be of any real concern as it will be just that; staining, not ruined towels. MSS, QS, Americana and Buttery are all layed down onto the paint, not worked in like "Old School" waxes: so not much, if any, color should come up. As stated above DS wouldn't have any issue since the detail spray is being sprayed on your LSP not on the paint itself. What color is the car? Red is by far the worse I've worked with for color transfer, but still I just wash the towels and continue to use them with no concerns.

Oh, and to follow up on my post #10. The Toyota Sienna Van came out nicely. I used the three pads; green, orange and white that were used on the red Ford Truck back in early October with no issues at all.

IMG_5684resize.jpg

Edited by BRZN

Good advice given by JB here...think about it like this...

The polishing and correcting steps you are "cutting" into the paint in this case, therefore you are receiving color transfer. While there is a chance to also get transfer while glazing or waxing, it's far more minimal given you aren't aggressively "massaging" the paint.

Caulk-I use BG/APW as my LSP for all Single Stage jobs.

Mook

Good advice given by JB here...think about it like this...

The polishing and correcting steps you are "cutting" into the paint in this case, therefore you are receiving color transfer. While there is a chance to also get transfer while glazing or waxing, it's far more minimal given you aren't aggressively "massaging" the paint.

Caulk-I use BG/APW as my LSP for all Single Stage jobs.

Mook

Looks like I'll have to swing by the warehouse and pick up some Americana