Customer Service 866.965.0400

How The Junkman Avoids Hard Water Spots - The Videos!

Junkman2008

Question

Hey boys and girls, a question that I get a lot is how to deal with hard water spots. If you ask anyone from detailers to your knowledgeable average Joe, you will get a slew of answers. Some folks have to get extremely aggressive with them, while other don't have to do that much at all to rid their paint of them. Because the answers vary so widely, I have decided to share my mindset. For me, prevention is the key. It's the same with another issue I get asked about, wax build up on the rubber trim. If you don't get wax on the rubber trim OR, you immediately address any wax or polish on your rubber trim, dealing with it is a cake walk. After watching these videos, you will see exactly what I'm talking about.

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." These are words to live by with a lot of situations and when it comes to detailing, these words ring so true. Thus, keep that in mind as you watch these videos. You will see how true this is.

One thing to note. I allowed my car to stay filthy for a week just for this video series. By driving the car in that condition and touching the paint, I created some micro-swirls in the paint. Now they are so minor that they will easily buff out, even by hand with some Fine Machine Polish but this just shows you how damage can slowly make it's way into your paint if dirt isn't addressed immediately. This is why I wash my car 2-3 times a week during the summer when I am driving it often. I look at dirt sitting on my paint like brand new razor blades standing up all over my skin. It doesn't take much movement for one of those blades to start cutting. Dirt laying on your finish long enough will do the same thing if you disturb it. That's also why proper washing is so important.

Okay, on to the videos! :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgBJG_loTlQ&feature=channel_video_title]Avoiding Water Spots - Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUa_jGC7a7c&feature=channel_video_title]Avoiding Water Spots - Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

The Junkman

Edited by Junkman2008

• Answers 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

EXACTLY! That's why I tell people to watch them multiple times. It's the nature of the beast! :thumbsup:

OBTW, Just wait till you see my garage when it is finished. :bow::bow::bow:

and YES it has a drain.

Good stuff A.j., I was gonna wash my truck this morning. woke up at 6 and say screw it (cold and tired) lol. will be washing this evening.

I've got my suspension so well setup on my G8 now; that I drive between the rain drops, keeping all water off my vehicle...

That being said, it sits still outside at work across from a concrete plant. If I showed you what it looked like now you'd probably pass out! lol

Good post AJ! (as usual)

Hey, So I'm wondering, why layer the protection?

The reason I layer those two products is for "more protection". For me, it has absolutely nothing to do with how it looks because my paint looks beautiful without a drop of wax on it. Wax protects the paint and that's why I use it. MSW and Americana are the two, longest lasting waxes that Adam's has.

The reason I layer those two products is for "more protection". For me, it has absolutely nothing to do with how it looks because my paint looks beautiful without a drop of wax on it. Wax protects the paint and that's why I use it. MSW and Americana are the two, longest lasting waxes that Adam's has.

Hey!

Great to know, but keeping that in mind, is there anything that I'm missing by just applying americana? (granted, I don't know if i could just *not* drive my car for that sort of time, lol )

Hey!

Great to know, but keeping that in mind, is there anything that I'm missing by just applying americana? (granted, I don't know if i could just *not* drive my car for that sort of time, lol )

Not at all. Americana is a fine product to use to protect your paint. It goes on quick and comes off quick. To me, keeping it simple is the best advice that I could give a novice about waxing.

Not at all. Americana is a fine product to use to protect your paint. It goes on quick and comes off quick. To me, keeping it simple is the best advice that I could give a novice about waxing.

GREAT! Just making sure I'm doing it right!

What about the Brilliant Glaze, where would you use that? I have etching in my paint and it seem that after the polishing they are still there. So I thought that BG would help cover it up a little. I was thinking MSW, BG and Americana. Would that work too?

What about the Brilliant Glaze, where would you use that? I have etching in my paint and it seem that after the polishing they are still there. So I thought that BG would help cover it up a little. I was thinking MSW, BG and Americana. Would that work too?

IMO paint should be perfect before sealing it. BG hides minor issues, but is incapable of hiding major ones like etching. I hammer out etching with a rotary followed by the PC. Then I do the MSW, BG, Americana trifecta!

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

You can apply that protection in that order but I am not sure how effective BG is going to be on etching. I don't cover up anything so I'm not a good source to speak for BG. I'll do whatever necessary to get rid of some damage before I cover it up. That may require much more aggressive measures.

IMO paint should be perfect before sealing it. BG hides minor issues, but is incapable of hiding major ones like etching. I hammer out etching with a rotary followed by the PC. Then I do the MSW, BG, Americana trifecta!

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

I'm new to this so I'm not confident on using a rotary, what could I use for now to diminish the etching?

I'm new to this so I'm not confident on using a rotary, what could I use for now to diminish the etching?

You should have a healthy fer of a rotary. Nothing wrong with that. As for the etching, there's no telling what it will take to get rid of it. I couldn't say without seeing it in person. About the most aggressive thing that I would suggest to you is a green pad and Severe Swirl Remover. You will either remove the damage over time or at least diminish it over time.

You should have a healthy fer of a rotary. Nothing wrong with that. As for the etching, there's no telling what it will take to get rid of it. I couldn't say without seeing it in person. About the most aggressive thing that I would suggest to you is a green pad and Severe Swirl Remover. You will either remove the damage over time or at least diminish it over time.

Thanks Junkman, I wish I was closer, It's a long drive to KY from MA... I have the green pad a SSR so I will try it with that and slow down with the PC, I was moving too fast. Your video have help a bunch. If you ever do a clinic near New England let us know, I will be there with your preferred food!!!

Thanks Junkman, I wish I was closer, It's a long drive to KY from MA... I have the green pad a SSR so I will try it with that and slow down with the PC, I was moving too fast. Your video have help a bunch. If you ever do a clinic near New England let us know, I will be there with your preferred food!!!

Bring women too and I'll fix your car for free. :D

Junkman

Great video. After watching this I had a question about washing you car on road trips. Several times during the summer I take may car overnight to a weekend car show or a family event and only have access to a public self serve car wash. What tips, methods, products products do you recommend for these situations? In the Midwest I always fight bug guts on the front of the car that I don't want sit on there for a couple of days and or I may be prepping for a showing after driving one or two hundred miles. Thanks for your input.

J.