Customer Service 866.965.0400

Stubborn swirl/scratches

Poppi

Question

I purchased Adam's kit a few weeks ago to detail a '02 Corvette Z06 I just bought. There were significant swirl marks in the finish and I followed the DVD directions. Using the PC orbital polisher, the orange pad and the SHR, followed by the white pad and the polish. I was able to get about 90% of the scratches removed. Should I redo the process or would a yellow pad have been an option to start with. Not sure how aggressive the yellow pad would be.

Thanks for any input, love the products and ease of use!!!

Poppi

14 answers to this question

I did 4 or 5 horizontal and vertical... the SHR was drying at that point. I did spray the detail spray on the pad first...

I meant, how many times did you do this process? Sounds like once. Sometimes you have to do what you did multiple times, when you see the desired look, move on to the FMP with the white pad.

Yep, that's what I was thinking... thanks and I will redo the surfaces again and see what happens... so far the product is working well... but I want to put this car in a show in October because it is a beauty. Corvette Zo6, Torch Red, supercharged with 565 rwhp... and a lot more... not too many of these around where I live and only 18K miles on it... so I want it to look pristine. Again, thanks, Poppi

More passes with orange should get you where you want to go.

Also don't be so formulaic about your polishing. There are no set number of times to work vertically/horizontally... just work the polish slow and methodically until it 'flashes' which means it goes clearish/oily looking. Thats when a polish has been used up and done its job, it sounds abstract, but once you see it you'll know what I'm talking about.

Stop any sooner than that you aren't maximizing the products or getting the ultimate results.

I purchased Adam's kit a few weeks ago to detail a '02 Corvette Z06 I just bought. There were significant swirl marks in the finish and I followed the DVD directions. Using the PC orbital polisher, the orange pad and the SHR, followed by the white pad and the polish. I was able to get about 90% of the scratches removed. Should I redo the process or would a yellow pad have been an option to start with. Not sure how aggressive the yellow pad would be.

Thanks for any input, love the products and ease of use!!!

Poppi

Don't mean to thread jack but this is were I get confused a lot. When do you use the yellow pad? I know for severely swirled paint, but wouldn't it make more sense to use the yellow pad for one pass rather than the orange for 2-3 passes? or am I missing something? :confused:

With that being said :worth:

Don't mean to thread jack but this is were I get confused a lot. When do you use the yellow pad? I know for severely swirled paint, but wouldn't it make more sense to use the yellow pad for one pass rather than the orange for 2-3 passes? or am I missing something? :confused:

Perfect example Dylan.

Yellow pads cause a lot more damage to the paint than an orange pad would (only use if you have to). After you are done making a pass with the yellow pad you will have a haze on the surface which will need to be corrected with the orange pad. So, using a yellow pad is just as much work as making 2 passes with the orange pad in the first place. If your not seeing results in 2-3 passes with the orange pad you need to examine your technique/equipment/products. So, back to the basics, always start with the least aggressive method first.

Thanks for all the info... kinda figured I needed to go through the SHR and orange pad again because it did so well the first time, just not 100%...

Marylandvette... thanks from a vette guy... I will redo... Poppi

Archived