Customer Service 866.965.0400

Polishing Pad getting "dirty"

VertimgoC502

Question

I would like input on what should be done if the pad you are using on the PC appears to get "dirty". This is after properly washing, drying, claying and starting with the yellow pad. What SHOULD be done. Continue the process of SHR, FMP, and MSW; wiping down between each step or only continue the SHR, wipe down, clean the yellow pad and start over?

11 answers to this question

Well after I used my White Pad for the first time it never looked the same. My Yellow Pad has an orange tint to it from the SHR. I was my pads really well with APC.

As you use them the pads will get a little dirty. I have seen pictures of people with the Yellow Pad looking like its gray. Mine seem to get a little dirty but not extremely dirty.

I wouldn't wash them while you are doing a detail, they retain a lot of water. If you turn it on you will just be slinging water every where.

I assume after some time you will have to buy new ones if they are getting worn out.

I use three pea sized drops of product for roughly a two foot by two foot area. I am stating while polishing the pads get dirty. I am not referring to discoloration of used pads. It appears that the dirt is being "pulled" out/off of the paint. My question is do I continue or stop and start again once the pad is cleaned until I am not getting the "dirty" look.

My guess would be that your pulling up coats of old wax still on the surface. In this case a strip wash would have probably helps matters. Its not going to hurt anything, but you may find by the end that your pads are too caked up to finish.

Either plan on using more than one of each pad to complete the car or stopping part of the way thru to clean your pads and resuming later.

My guess would be that your pulling up coats of old wax still on the surface. In this case a strip wash would have probably helps matters. Its not going to hurt anything, but you may find by the end that your pads are too caked up to finish.

Either plan on using more than one of each pad to complete the car or stopping part of the way thru to clean your pads and resuming later.

Interesting. I washed the neighbor's black Highlander with original Dawn, rinsed and washed again. I then clayed vigorously. After doing my test spot on the hood I darn near crapped myself because the pad was dark. At first I thought I was dealing with single stage paint, it was THAT dark and dirty. I was using a white CCS pad and M105, speed 5 on a GG DA. I ended up going through three pads and getting half the vehicle done yesterday, the other half today. I used Adam's Detail Spray and three pea sized drops of product. I was too lazy to run to CVS or Walgreens to get some Isopropyl alcohol...:lolsmack:...I can be such a slacker sometimes. I ended up using M105 x2 passes on a white CCS pad followed by one pass M205 on white CCS pad. The M205 pad hardly showed any color change. So, thinking out loud here, you think I might have been removing a paint sealant of some sort?

BTW: BSG is sitting on it overnight. She'll then get Americana x2. :rockon:

Sorry for the thread-jack.

Archived