Customer Service 866.965.0400

Brilliant Glaze used on car right out of body shop ?

mikeg6045

Question

Basically what the title says.

I have a car here that just left the body shop. Picked it up about a week ago after just having the door and bumper painted.

What i do know is that the paint was obviously dry when picking the car up. (baked i believe ?)

I'm wondering what Adams products are safe to use on this car fresh out of the body shop ?

I'm looking for a definitive answer on these products

-Adams Brilliant Glaze ?

-Adams carwash ?

-Adams Waterless Wash ?

-Adams Detail Spray ?

Any suggestions or help ? I know not to wax or polish the car for 90 days.

Thx

20 answers to this question

junkman is right, ask the painter. the general rule is 90 days but if its really hot where you are then 60 - 70 days would be fine. I would not recommend washing with car shampoo until you can no longer smell the paint. if you can't smell the paint car shampoo should be fine but nothing else, its not worth the risk

He'll be okay with the shampoo but that about all. That's the only thing that I would put on new paint, unless I was removing the after paint wet sanding marks.

Okay, My 69 mustang was just painted. They said I could apply wax anytime, these guys got best paint at Hot August Nights in Reno. I am going to wait 90 days before I do anything. When it gets dirty in the mean time do I just wash it only? Thanks Bernard

Yes, just wash it.

Okay, My 69 mustang was just painted. They said I could apply wax anytime, these guys got best paint at Hot August Nights in Reno. I am going to wait 90 days before I do anything. When it gets dirty in the mean time do I just wash it only? Thanks Bernard

Here's the rule of thumb when it comes to fresh paint jobs...

It doesn't matter if they're oven baked or air dried, you wait at the very least 30 days before applying any silicone based products to the paint.

I would say 30 days if you live in the desert and you car sits outside all day long. But the truth is, it totally depends on the paint used and the climate/humidity that you live in. Curing time is NOT an exact number of days for everyone in the world. It depends on where you live. Thus, you should wait 60-90 days just to be safe. That will guarantee you no issues.

Here's the rule of thumb when it comes to fresh paint jobs...

It doesn't matter if they're oven baked or air dried, you wait at the very least 30 days before applying any silicone based products to the paint. You absolutely DO NOT introduce silicone into a fresh paint job. If you do this it will force silicone based fillers deep within the paint pores and seal the paint underneath the top layer. This will cause the paint to smother and will cause clouding over time, and then unnatural oxidation.

As paint dries, as mentioned in this thread I believe already, the pores of the paint shrink and the gasses (actually solvents) are released. Obviously this is the "curing" stage, and while this is happening, you must not introduce silicone into the paint. These paints in their curing stage are susceptible to absorption and want to drink moisture.

There are non-silicone based polishes out there that body shops use to achieve a good shine right after a paint job, and that is why you'll see just about every paint shop carrying some products from the 3M line. 3M's "Perfect It" is one of the best non-silicone based polishes out there to perform this type of polishing after paint jobs. I'm sure there are others, but this is what I always used when I was working in paint shops and restoration boutiques back in the day. This is why it's very important to know the product you're using. Know what the chemical make-up of it is and always try and get an MSDS from the manufacture.

would you wait for the paint to cure first when removing sanding marks ? or would you do it before waiting 90 days ?

I dont see any wetsanding marks, but Its also difficult to see swirls and scratch's on the color of my car. I could look with a halogen, and likely find them though. but at this point, I dont even want to go crazy inspecting until after I get the car's paint corrected to perfection.

I would remove the wet sanding marks right away but I know not to use the wrong compounds when doing so. You have to ensure that what you use is safe for new paint.

Nice ride Mike.

My car is going to make its way over the Phil at Detailers Domain, to be worked over. Those guys produce amazing results, and My paint on this car is just so difficult to correct.

:iagree:

You can't go wrong with Phil. He and his crew do some amazing work.

He'll be okay with the shampoo but that about all. That's the only thing that I would put on new paint, unless I was removing the after paint wet sanding marks.

would you wait for the paint to cure first when removing sanding marks ? or would you do it before waiting 90 days ?

I dont see any wetsanding marks, but Its also difficult to see swirls and scratch's on the color of my car. I could look with a halogen, and likely find them though. but at this point, I dont even want to go crazy inspecting until after I get the car's paint corrected to perfection.

I have not used anything except car wash shampoo on the car.

I did ask the painter. and I also wanted to ask the product manufacturer. Asking and acting are two different things as we all know. I wanted to hear what the thoughts were on a question like this. Some Glaze's by different manufacturers are meant to be used on the car right after the paint dries, and before the customer picks up the car from the body shop. I was curious as to where some of the Adams products stood, as there is limited information on the bottle and available online.

I want to thank everyone for there input in this thread :thumbsup:.

My car is going to make its way over the Phil at Detailers Domain, to be worked over. Those guys produce amazing results, and My paint on this car is just so difficult to correct. I dont have the time or patience to produce the type of results i'm looking for at this point, considering my job and schedule (leave when its dark in the AM, come home when its dark in the PM). What I could do with a thousand pass's with the products I have, Phil could do in a day with his tools and products. Once he is done, I will go back to maintaining the car how I like.

Someone asked for pics, and here is a couple. i had a new bumper installed and sprayed. as well as my door touched up.

DSC00236.jpg

DSC00200.jpg

junkman is right, ask the painter. the general rule is 90 days but if its really hot where you are then 60 - 70 days would be fine. I would not recommend washing with car shampoo until you can no longer smell the paint. if you can't smell the paint car shampoo should be fine but nothing else, its not worth the risk

I wouldn't use any type of glaze or wax on new paint! You are just asking for problems down the line when you will have to repaint the car because of all the damage that shows up from the paint curing. You should always consult with the PAINTER on how to care for your paint, not a message board. Only he knows how the car was painted and thus knows how that paint should be cared for. His answer will always be better than ours.

I'd ask the body shop. They are the only ones who can tell you what products they use for clear coat and paint.

I asked the guys who did my truck when I could wax it again and they said with the type of clear coat they use I could do what ever I wanted to it as soon as I got it home.

I'd call and ask if you can put wax on it. If you can put wax on it then you can probably glaze the hell out of it.

Detail Spray contains some synthetic polymers (the gloss enhancers) so while it probably wouldn't hurt anything its probably best to avoid that as well.

Did the bodyshop give you any input as to the interval of time for letting it gas out? The types of paints used and the process thru which they're applied/cured has just as much influence on your ability to use the products as the products themselves do.

The general rule is 90 days, but of course depending on the shop it could be less.

I would only GENTLY wash it for a few months until the paints finishes it "Gassing". Maybe us the DS, but that's it. You probabaly paid good money to have it painted, so I would wait. I recently had the entire bed of my Black Dodge 2500 repainted and waited for 4 months before I applied any protectants. Longer than I really needed to do, but I wanted to be sure I wouldn't cause any long term issues.

Archived