Customer Service 866.965.0400

Deep Scratch Help

Kingsford

Question

A few nights ago my neighbor awoke to find a long scratch down the side of her Black Sequoia. I believe it was caused by someone keying it lightly.

I ran my hand over it and tried to see if I could feel it with my nail. I couldnt feel anything. I brought it over to my garage and broke out the yellow pad. I went over it about 25-30 times with very little improvement. I again tried to feel it with my nail. I spent about 10 minutes going over it with my finger nail and indeed you could feel it, but BARELY!

Any suggestions?

Pictures were taken BEFORE trying the PC.

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

After looking at the pictures I took yesterday I am beginning to think this one might be impossible.

Just a side note, I've never touched this vehicle before. I dont want people thinking I'm a crappy detailer.

17 answers to this question

I am slowly giving up trying anyways. I went to 3 places tonight, 2 of them being auto parts stores and nether of them had 2500 or 3000. All I could find was 1000.

I still want to play with wet sanding on my bumper.

In person the scratches appear white in color and do not seem like the bare metal. You can also barely feel them with you nail.

Honestly, wet sanding should be a last resort for the vast majority of us.

I have had a couple scratches on my Coupe I thought were in that catagory and some time with the PC and focus pads cleaned them right up for me.

For my money, it is always start light and then get more agressive if required.

Agreed! Try the least invasive method first if you're not 100% sure.

Focus pads ARE your friend here.

Chris

Honestly, wet sanding should be a last resort for the vast majority of us.

I have had a couple scratches on my Coupe I thought were in that catagory and some time with the PC and focus pads cleaned them right up for me.

For my money, it is always start light and then get more agressive if required.

Sorry to bring up old thread, was searching on how to fix similar scratches. Friend's car have a deep scratch and I can catch my nail in it but I'm not sure how to tell if it's down to primer or bare metal since it's very thin line and still looks kind of white.

Should I try to wetsand it first and if that fails then do touch up paint or should I just go straight to touch up?

I was wondering if touch up is only good when it's down to bare metal or if it's only clear coat scratch can touch up paint adhere to it?

Color is a dark grey with metallic flakes. Thanks for any ideas. :)

Those are very deep... keep in mind you cannot polish what is not there, if thats down thru the paint and into the primer or bare metal theres no saving it, not even with wet sanding.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

looks like may be down to the primer at least........ unless the key was whitish-gray :(

you may need to help the neighbor find a competent body repair guy.

unfortunately body shop is out of the "detailing" range of repair.

gl

I am slowly giving up trying anyways. I went to 3 places tonight, 2 of them being auto parts stores and nether of them had 2500 or 3000. All I could find was 1000.

Try searching for "auto paint supply Kankakee IL". The one that looked like it would work is Metro Paint Supplies - http://www.metropaint.com/index.asp. Also, try this link to Sherwin-Williams automotive finish dealers in your area - http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/AboutUs/StoreLocator.aspx?zip=60901.

I went to a couple of PBE stores, but ended up ordering the sandpaper. Also, be sure you get a sanding block!

I just watched it. I'm going to run out to Farm & Fleet later tonight and see if they have any. I have an old bumper that I can scratch up and play with so I'm not too chicken.

You may get lucky, but most places don't carry 2000 grit, much less 2500 or 3000. You will need a PBE (paint, body, equipment) store or place an order online.

I would suggest using the 3000 grit in your testing to see where you get. A PC with an orange pad and SHR can get out 3000 grit marks.

AJ has a wet sanding series at his Youtube page.

I'm too chicken to try...LOL

I just watched it. I'm going to run out to Farm & Fleet later tonight and see if they have any. I have an old bumper that I can scratch up and play with so I'm not too chicken.

I'm a lil' confused.You said you went over the area 25-30 times,but the swirls are still there as well as the scratch?:confused:

Those are before pictures.

You may have to wetsand!:( Looks deep!

I have the old bumper off my truck from when it was hit. I might take it out and put a few scratches in it with a key and get some sanding paper.

Are there any threads on the forums that do step by step wet sanding?

Archived