Customer Service 866.965.0400

Multiple layers of wax?

Justin@SwanCreek

Question

I have noticed that alot of people on the forums like to add multiple layers of wax on their cars... I wanted to know what combinations and orders in which you use the different wax. For example, would you use brilliant glaze (to fill in missed areas from polishing) then MSW to seal it in? I'd like to know what the best combinations and orders are that you apply them in to achieve the ultimate in shine and protection.

20 answers to this question

On my black cherry NEW paint job-I did see little swirls -had orange peel on driver's door, etc. After 90 days I wet sanded the door,all over some FMP ,waited... Americana...waited...then another coat of Americana and BSG on top of that.

The black cherry looked like it was a deep pool of liquid gloss...

:bow:you cant go wrong with Adam's products!

Probably right but, according to Adam's video Vol. 6, he stated that he used the hand method for most of the Ferrari paint correction with great results. So, that is plan "A" for me. If it doesn't work, plan "B" will be a PC from Adam's. I'm using the least aggressive method to a "T". My car is new and the paint is almost flawless. Winter will leave it's toll, however. I try to still wash it once a week. The DS has prolonged the fall sealant I put on the car.:rockon:

Thats not a bad plan @all :thumbsup: As its always best to be least aggressive & hand polishing will be the first rote in that. If you have close to flawless paint SHR by hand in the spots that need it the polish with revive (by) hand or FMP by pc, then the waxes. Don't forget to polish though so you clean up behind the SHR :thumbsup:

I use buttery a lot.....a lot, its my fav still because I use it most & it is a dang great wax. But since getting my tub of Americana I have been blown away! the deeper look is incredible, even on light colors like white & light gray.:2thumbs:

the wax build up usually will only happen after several detail sessions without stripping the remaining wax with dawn....which isn't always a necessity depending on a lot of variables.

If you truly have fine micro scratches the SHR will take them out by hand....its just not as effective if they cover the whole car lol yer arms would be real tired. But you said paint is close to flawless so i suspect you will be focusing on key areas instead of whole panels & that's where hand polishing, IMO is the right way to approach it to start with fine localized damage.

*revive is a great polish to clean up behind SHR...... I give Adams tons of props on there hand lines as they are the most effective on the market IMO.

Here's the prob I see if you don't use a PC with the SHR...some of those spots are gonna be awful tough to get to, as you need a lot of RPM to get the SHR to lay down right. I guess that's up to you though, and how bad the spots are vs how much Popeye Arm you wanna get lolololol.

Probably right but, according to Adam's video Vol. 6, he stated that he used the hand method for most of the Ferrari paint correction with great results. So, that is plan "A" for me. If it doesn't work, plan "B" will be a PC from Adam's. I'm using the least aggressive method to a "T". My car is new and the paint is almost flawless. Winter will leave it's toll, however. I try to still wash it once a week. The DS has prolonged the fall sealant I put on the car.:rockon:

What has the most shine..Americana or Buttery? Also, I'm going to hand detail my car this spring (I know... 3 more months!) and here is what I'm planning:

SHR (where needed)

Revive

BG

Americana

Buttery bi-monthly

Like Osok pointed out the majority of your 'shine' is going to come from your paint prep steps... the better your prep the better the wax will perform. You can't rely purely on the wax to do the work for you.

Americana will give a deeper/wetter looking shine than buttery and provide longer lasting protection than Buttery (as it should for 3x the price!) but unless you're prepping the surface to the best of your ability then you'll never see the full potential of EITHER product.

What has the most shine..Americana or Buttery? Also, I'm going to hand detail my car this spring (I know... 3 more months!) and here is what I'm planning:

SHR (where needed)

Revive

BG

Americana

Buttery bi-monthly

Here's the prob I see if you don't use a PC with the SHR...some of those spots are gonna be awful tough to get to, as you need a lot of RPM to get the SHR to lay down right. I guess that's up to you though, and how bad the spots are vs how much Popeye Arm you wanna get lolololol.

Thanks for all the quick responses!!

Hey Justin, good question!

Sealants (like doug pointed out) need to be in direct contact with the paint in order to work their best. As such you'll want to apply Machine Superwax first if you're going to use it at all then layer Brilliant Glaze, Buttery Wax, or Americana over the top of it.

On the flip side you can apply Brilliant Glaze first then apply a wax over the top as waxes don't bond so much as they just ride along on top of the paint.

Heres somp possible application orders... just remember that MSW has a cure and setup time so anytime you include in in the equation you need to give it the right amount of time.

MSW > BG > APW

BG > APW

MSW > APW

MSW > BW

Let me know if that makes sense, if you need anymore clarification don't hesitate to ask.

Thats exactly what I was looking for! thanks alot man....

And how many layers would cause clouding? more then two?

MSW is a sealant (a very shiny one), and needs to be in direct contact with the paint to work correctly. BG or Americana would go on top of that. If you put BG directly on the paint, you can't put MSW over it- it won't bond properly to the BG.

:iagree: You can use BG under or over Americana!:thumbsup:

Hey Justin, good question!

Sealants (like doug pointed out) need to be in direct contact with the paint in order to work their best. As such you'll want to apply Machine Superwax first if you're going to use it at all then layer Brilliant Glaze, Buttery Wax, or Americana over the top of it.

On the flip side you can apply Brilliant Glaze first then apply a wax over the top as waxes don't bond so much as they just ride along on top of the paint.

Heres somp possible application orders... just remember that MSW has a cure and setup time so anytime you include in in the equation you need to give it the right amount of time.

MSW > BG > APW

BG > APW

MSW > APW

MSW > BW

Let me know if that makes sense, if you need anymore clarification don't hesitate to ask.

MSW is a sealant (a very shiny one), and needs to be in direct contact with the paint to work correctly. BG or Americana would go on top of that. If you put BG directly on the paint, you can't put MSW over it- it won't bond properly to the BG.

Archived