Customer Service 866.965.0400

Rinsing Shampoo Question

CrazyChipmunk

Question

I tried a search first and didn't find what I was looking for. I have a large truck to wash and what I run in to is this... using the wash method per the instructional DVD and not rinsing until completely washed is leaving a gray film after washing. Most of the soap has dried on the truck by the time I get to rinsing and all the dirt I managed to lift by washing is drying right back on the truck. I am trying to wash as fast as I can and still do a proper job. I do have to wash in my driveway and there is no shade, but the weather has been cool. I hate to wipe the film off with my dying towels and am wondering if anyone else is running in to this problem?

21 answers to this question

When was the last time you laid wax down?

Are you using anything as a Drying Agent?

Using detail spray on entire truck. Tried to follow instructional DVD as best I could. Film wipes right off. Truck is new so no wax yet. Going to start claying end of this week and polish/wax. Hopefully that will help.

It should help immensely. By claying/polishing/waxing you'll greatly reduce the surface tension and thus give the 'film' a much more difficult time sticking to the surface.

My thinking as well. Now if the stupid weather will cooperate. It's been in the 60's but raining every other day.

:hi:I would bet that it is your water. Currently I wash my entire Mustang with Adam's wash from top to bottom and by the time I am done the hood is usually dry. I've had -0- issues with any film OR spotting. I also lightly mist the entire car with Adam's Detail Spray before I dry after a final "pool rinse". I had hard water once that was so bad my car suffered from water spots that were next to impossible to remove. You might want to invest in a good filtration system for your water supply. They install very easily right in your water supply in the house.

Washed again a few days ago and had same issue. I just have to rinse as I go. The shampoo may be better for my paint than hard water but hard water is better than me having to wipe a gray film off of 80% of the truck. My next wash is going to be at sunrise or sunset. I just don't have any place to get out of the sun to wash and it takes so long to wash my truck. The sad thing is our water has so much chlorine in it that it smells like a swimming pool half the time and makes for some industrial strength water spots. It also doesn't make detailing very relaxing or fun.

If anyone has a solution I'd love to hear it. Until then I'll probably be washing horizontal surfaces, rinse, then the vertical surfaces (one side at a time) then rinse and dry.

That is what I often do. Because of our humidity (or this time of year when the combination of the angle of the sun and the lack of leaves on the tree reduces the amount of shade) I often will 'pool' rinse after doing the top and the shade side. I do the other side, rear, then front, and do the final rinse.

Most of the time when I came across this problem its caused by something that has like VRT on it or something makes plastic shine. It's like excess that wasn't whipped off all they way and it creates a film on the car.

Rewash, Dry with DS, Clay and Wax.... Should look better.

Clay, I'm having the exact same problem on my Accord ( not a very big vehicle). I'm using a 2 bucket w/ grit guards and 2 washmits. It happened about a month ago when I washed so when I washed yesterday (bright sun and 65 degrees) I payed close attention to wash the sunny side last. Still the same problem. I decided to rewash that side again. I will say my car was really dirty this time from the salt from the roads.

If anyone has a solution I'd love to hear it. Until then I'll probably be washing horizontal surfaces, rinse, then the vertical surfaces (one side at a time) then rinse and dry.

It's a big truck, worse case i guess you could just wash/rinse a side at a time then move to the next side and wash rinse. That would potentially only leave you with some rinse water on the paint that dried before you had a chance to dry it and that would wipe off with the great white and some ds during the final dry.

If you pool rinse as part of the rinsing you should have next to no droplets left on the paint anyways after rinsing.

That truck is definitely large so maybe just break the work down into sections.

That's my next suggestion. I would think if there was too much suds in the bucket, there may be too much left on the paint, not rinsing off. When I detail big trucks like a King Ranch SuperDuty, I wash one side at a time, using common sense, or what I have of it.

Good luck man! I know it's frustrating, but we can all help to get you thru it!~

It's a big truck, worse case i guess you could just wash/rinse a side at a time then move to the next side and wash rinse. That would potentially only leave you with some rinse water on the paint that dried before you had a chance to dry it and that would wipe off with the great white and some ds during the final dry.

If you pool rinse as part of the rinsing you should have next to no droplets left on the paint anyways after rinsing.

That truck is definitely large so maybe just break the work down into sections.

Something else that's beggin a question from my brain about this////

Are you using too much soap for the amount of water in the bucket?

Will pay closer attention next time. Used Adam's "eyeball method" to measure shampoo like in video.;) Will keep everyone posted on results later this week. Thanks for all the help. Nice to know this forum is here for when we need help.

If I'm reading this correctly, you're actually having trouble with some of the panels drying BEFORE you can finish washing the entire truck and rinse everything, correct? So you're actually getting some soap and contaminants drying on the paint before you can rinse the panel. That would definitely leave behind a film and it most likely wouldn't rinse off, especially if the sun has baked it back on.

Correct. Used 2 wash pads and 2 bucket method. Rinsed often. Will just have to make metal notes next time I wash. Wasn't expecting the film so didn't pay super close attention to everything.

I tried a search first and didn't find what I was looking for. I have a large truck to wash and what I run in to is this... using the wash method per the instructional DVD and not rinsing until completely washed is leaving a gray film after washing. Most of the soap has dried on the truck by the time I get to rinsing and all the dirt I managed to lift by washing is drying right back on the truck. I am trying to wash as fast as I can and still do a proper job. I do have to wash in my driveway and there is no shade, but the weather has been cool. I hate to wipe the film off with my dying towels and am wondering if anyone else is running in to this problem?

If I'm reading this correctly, you're actually having trouble with some of the panels drying BEFORE you can finish washing the entire truck and rinse everything, correct? So you're actually getting some soap and contaminants drying on the paint before you can rinse the panel. That would definitely leave behind a film and it most likely wouldn't rinse off, especially if the sun has baked it back on.

Side of bed was where I noticed it most. It was the side facing the sun as well. Will try and pay closer attention next time to see if I continue to have problem. Didn't know if I was doing something wrong or not. I was assuming that the shampoo basically encapsulated the dirt during washing and allowed it to be rinsed off even after it dried. The problem was not over the entire vehicle and seemed to be the parts that I washed first and had dried the most.

Using 2 bucket wash method and truck was not very dirty at all. Using seperate pads for above/below mid-line of truck. It is not actually "dirt" still on the truck but more of a gray film. Some sections of the truck are dry to the touch before I finish washing. Kicking old wash habits will be harder than I thought!

If you're washing correctly most of the dirt should be removed from the surface leaving pretty much only water and soap with VERY small amounts of dirt/grit (if any at all) left behind. Can you elaborate a little bit on your process so maybe I can help you identify a solution?

Are you using a grit guard?

How dirty is the truck when you're starting?

Have you gone 2 a second bucket/grit guard for 2 bucket washing?

Are you rinsing the pad regularly?

Archived