Customer Service 866.965.0400

Calling those with TBSS wheels!!!

StormChaser

Question

Ok, So I am preparing myself for a major detail of my girl in the early weeks of May.

I am going to be putting her in a car show and I want her looking absolutely AMAZING. Last year I didn't win and well let's be honest...I didn't have Adams behind me! Now not only do I have amazing products I have absorbed so much information that I feel I can successfully get my baby in pristine condition.

One of the things I want to do is take off my wheels and get up into the wheel from behind.

I suspect Dylan or Mook (Chris) will be very knowledgeable in this but I didn't want to send a PM so everyone can learn. I did try to search the threads here in this section but nothing was geared for my quest.

----

What I am wondering is whether or not there is anything aggressive enough IE: brillo pad, wheel brush, etc that would be good enough to get the grit off where I was never able to reach (while the wheel is off)?

I don't have the wheel thingy attachment and I will likely never get one so I am wondering is it ok to use a brillo pad on the back side of the wheel or not??? there are pieces of material that are stuck to the wheel that I couldn't get off even with my finger nails. It seems to be super glued on there!

Any suggestions??? Or would it be OK to let APC soak on it or something?

I just know those few specs while not large are going to be an eye sore for ME and only ME.....but I want them gone!

Thanks in advance and Sorry for the book! :)

21 answers to this question

Jack SS up. Place Tire Iron on Lug. Turn COUNTER clockwise until said lug is loose and off. Rinse and Repeat five more times until the wheel is off.

ANNNNNNND You're Welcome. :2thumbs:

LOL I know the process...just no muscle mass behind my arms....

Besides no harm in letting the tbss guys THINK i'm a helpless girl!

how do you think I get away with so much!!!

:lolsmack::lolsmack:

That's exactly what I'm doing! Getting my game plan on.

Although I am going to have to call on my local tbss crew to help me get the tires off! HHAHAHAHA

Jack SS up. Place Tire Iron on Lug. Turn COUNTER clockwise until said lug is loose and off. Rinse and Repeat five more times until the wheel is off.

ANNNNNNND You're Welcome. :2thumbs:

You guys are AWESOME!!!

The car show isn't until May but I am SUPER OCD about planning and I need to get my game plan on!!!

Just ask Eric with Thompson Racing...I've slammed him with questions about the meet and yea it's 3 months away! HAHAHAHA

I have used Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and APC, works great! Be careful not to lay the wheel face down, without cardboard or something to keep from scratching. Have fun!:thumbsup:

Be careful with the Magic Eraser...I have been told it's abrasive.:cheers:

I don't have the wheel thingy attachment and I will likely never get one so I am wondering is it ok to use a brillo pad on the back side of the wheel or not??? there are pieces of material that are stuck to the wheel that I couldn't get off even with my finger nails. It seems to be super glued on there!

Could it be leftover glue from old balancing weights? Try some "goo off" type stuff and/or 3M Adhesive Remover (you may need the adhesive remover to clean out road paint splatters from you wheel wells). Also get some plastic razor blades - they are great for removing stuff like this (Detailer's Domain carries them).

Good luck Brandi, we're pulling for you!:grouphug:

The back of our wheels and inner hoops ARE cleared just like the front. The backside with the rough casting on it still has some clear on it, but I would use a stiff brush in that area only. The inner hoops ARE cleared as well. You can be a little more aggressive in both of these areas because neither is polished and it's not going to stand out much because it will be somewhat hidden. After you've cleaned them, hit them with some clay on all the smooth surfaces to make sure you've removed as much contaminants as possible before you start to polish. Throw out the clay when you're done or retire it for wheel duty only.

Ya I am treating the front of the wheel like paint but I'm referring to the back side. Is the back polished too???

And what is the difference is using Americana vs brilliant glaze on the front??

Mook can u put up pics of ur wheels with bg?

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

My wheels are the 942s...you are speaking of the stockers? Would you like me to dig mine outta the shed and shine one up for ya? :pc:

Brilliant Glaze is going to add some mirroring quality, minor blemish control, and a little bit of pop. Not durable. Needs to be added underneath the Americana. The APW is gonna give you the durability and protection and shine you are looking for.

Back of the rim has no clear coat on it. You want to use a stiff brush for this, anything else is going to get clogged up with gook and grease. I would use Dawn dish soap for the back of the rim as it cuts grease really well and you won't be wasting the APC. Just my .06 ( adjusted for inflation)

If you do end up using Dawn, please don't forget to lay some juice back down on them!

Back of the rim has no clear coat on it. You want to use a stiff brush for this, anything else is going to get clogged up with gook and grease. I would use Dawn dish soap for the back of the rim as it cuts grease really well and you won't be wasting the APC. Just my .06 ( adjusted for inflation)

Ya I am treating the front of the wheel like paint but I'm referring to the back side. Is the back polished too???

And what is the difference is using Americana vs brilliant glaze on the front??

Mook can u put up pics of ur wheels with bg?

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

if you are worried about abrasiveness of product, try water cuttin some apc 50/50, and using that. tbh, the powerstick is on my list of things to pickup, simply because of the end result.

wheel off, it becomes tons easier to clean. I'm not sayin there arent alternatives to get u bye until u do get a powerstick.

they've already covered pretty much what I would do! I BGd my wheels last week!

Brandi, just keep in mind that our wheels are clearcoated just like our paint, so once get them clean, you'll want to polish them out and then seal in the shine. Assuming they aren't really bad, you can probably use some Revive, then throw on a coat of MSW, some APW and top with some BG and then start handing out sunglasses to protect peoples' eyes from the shine! Good luck!

Thanks Bruce!!

I didnt think I could use BG on the wheels. I have Americana on the exterior right now...and it's awesome!

I plan for this to take at least a full three days before I get her 100% before the show. I am very excited about it and I can't wait to see how the Undercarriage spray works, etc....

I appreciate the reply...I hope the APC, etc work on it...I know if it doesn't I'm going to be calling someone! HAHAHAHA :) :)

With the wheels pulled you should be able to get a lot better access and get the gunk off. Do not use anything abrasive like a brillo pad though or you will ruin the clear. APC or GWC should do it. Clean the suspension pieces real well also, rear shocks, spare tire, fenderwells, etc.

Last, after polishing and waxing (MSW) the wheels hit them with a coat of Brilliant Glaze!

Good luck in the show.

Bruce

(our TBSS is same color as yours)

Archived