Customer Service 866.965.0400

Dropped my white pad - Can it be saved?

Eidolon

Question

Was working to finish up polishing my car tonight, and I had set the orange and white pads atop a stack of boxes with my Adams stuff. A little later, I glance over and notice my white hex pad hex-side-down on the rough concrete portion of my garage floor. :(

I picked it up and brought it inside for cleaning with the rest, and here's what it looked like.

dropped-1.jpg

I ran it under the tap to clean it off and used APC, as always. It came out looking just fine.

dropped-2.jpg

The question is, is there grit embedded in the pad that will tear up my car the next time I try to use it? What do you guys think? Usable again? Or did I, with my carelessness, purchase a one-way ticket to a shopping cart full of the Gen3 pads? (I mean, not that that's a bad thing; but waste not, want not!)

16 answers to this question

I dropped mine couple of times and I washed it, then machine washed it (I never do that, only when I dropped it) let it dry and use it, no problems. Try it on small area first or on a beater and see the results, at least thats what I did and it worked. :)

I put BMR's on mine in conjunction with my Pedders bits and MAN did it make it FUN!

I don't have any Pedders bits yet. But the next set of mods will be Spohn arms with BMR bushings.

For me, I would toss it and get a new one. My paint is worth more than $12 to me :rockon::rockon::rockon:

That, and the new backing pad and pads should hug the compound curves on the G8 fenders much more nicely.

You just can't win... That G8 is kicking your back side for sure... lol

If it's actually the G8 doing the kicking, it might be mad because I've had it taped up for so long! I think this makes week five. I hope to actually drive the thing this weekend. Especially since I got my new sway bars just yesterday. :D

safest best is to scrap it unfortunately, but only you can make the decision.
I'd chuck it. Looks like that pad has seen better days anyway.

Luckily, I'm done with the polishing. We'll see how much residue the painters tape has left (it actually did leave some on the trunk). But if I need to polish that off, I have the focus pads and my drill, still. APC also appears to do the trick.

I think the pad is likely worn out from the use of too much product. Even after cleaning it with APC and hot water, I can squeeze it and get a waxy film of FMP on my hands. It's just saturated.

Archived