Customer Service 866.965.0400

Catalytic Converter Question....

Kingsford

Alright guys and gals,

My catalytic converter on the 150 is going out. I took it to the 3 top places I trust to work on my truck and they all priced a new one with labor at $800 and above. I honestly just can't afford dropping that much money at once on something small like that. It hasn't gone out yet, but it makes a horrible noise when the truck is cold. My dad said to just take it off and put a straight pipe on it, I know its illegal but I dont really know what else to do. I also dont know how it would affect my sensors in there and my dash lights.

Any thoughts? :(

That sucks. I personally would just remove it. Performance guys delete their cats all the time. It will require some PCM programming to clear any codes but it should be a lot cheaper than that new cat.

Sounds like the shops are trying to hose you... just did a search on a few different parts sites and most came up less than $250 for a cat. That means they're trying to bang you out for almost $600 in labor to cut one out and weld one in? Sorry, but thats criminal.

Sounds like the shops are trying to hose you... just did a search on a few different parts sites and most came up less than $250 for a cat. That means they're trying to bang you out for almost $600 in labor to cut one out and weld one in? Sorry, but thats criminal.

:iagree:

I have a guy that will weld it in for me for cheap. You can get two cats for $135-$150 from performancepeddler.com. Then enter in the coupon window "clubgp" and you will get I believe 10% off. That's the best way to go. If you have any muffler shops around town. They can weld em' in for cheap

Anyone care to help me find a few different ones off of some different websites?

I've ordered and trust stuff from Stylin Trucks and Street Side Auto just to name a couple.

2005 Ford F-150 STX V6 4.2L

I was a little off :

From ford

EMISSIONS DEFECT WARRANTY COVERAGE

During the warranty coverage period, Ford Motor Company warrants that:

• your vehicle or engine is designed, built, and equipped to meet – at the time it is sold - the emissions regulations of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
  • your vehicle or engine is free from defects in factory-supplied materials or workmanship that could prevent it from conforming with applicable EPA regulations.
  • you will not be charged for diagnosis, repair, replacement, or adjustment of defective emissions-related parts covered as shown in the What is Covered? section of information below.

The warranty coverage period for:

• Passenger cars, light duty trucks (applies to vehicles up to 8,500 pounds GVWR)
    • 8 years or 80,000 miles (whichever occurs first) for catalytic converters, electronic engine control unit (ECU), transmission control module (TCM), and any other onboard emissions diagnostic module.
    • 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever occurs first) for all other covered parts.

I would try to get it fixed for free.

THANKS RAY!

I went and looked in my book and sure as **** it was there!!!

Guess whats got two thumbs and is calling Ford tomorrow?

THIS GUY! *Points at self with thumbs*

How can your cat be bad already? Seems odd. How many does it have? My F150 with the 5.4 has 4 of the darn things... Knock on wood... 93,000 miles and not an issue.

Chris

Good luck Jason, hope it works out man. Nothing sucks more than laying out cash for stuff like this.

No kidding. Especially after I placed a big order here and bought a few other things for myself with my tax return....

How can your cat be bad already? Seems odd. How many does it have? My F150 with the 5.4 has 4 of the darn things... Knock on wood... 93,000 miles and not an issue.

I have no idea. Everyone that's looked at it says the same thing. The noise sounds like a vibrating noise when the engine is cold. Its more audible when its it reverse but does it in drive and in park too. I'm pretty sure mine has 2 Cats. It almost sounds like a weld broke loose inside and when it gets cold it shrinks and always it to vibrate and when the metal gets hot it expands enough to push against a wall of it.

Interseted to see what Ford tells you. Probably won't find them in a junk yard because they have what is called valuable metals inside them. People still them off cars and try and sell them.

You can always move to MI, you don't even need an exhaust, just run open headers. We got special people in this state....wait I think I am one of them, I have no cats, no flex joints and no mufflers.:D

FYI the reason for high quotes is because modification to the stock catalytic set up is technically illegal. In order to even touch it, a inspection facility has to deem non-functioning and its replacement necessary to maintain emissions integrity. Then it has to be replaced with a new, stock replacement (as determined by the manufacturer, aka oem only not oem replacement), in the exact positioning and placement as the catalytic converter.

If you can get it replaced under warranty you're golden...

If not, you could buy a similar sized generic magnaflow off Summit and either weld it on yourself or take cash with you whenever you go to a shop and do it under the table.

Also, take it with you! Used catalytic converters are worth $$, which means more Adam's products.

Truck goes in Monday hopefully its the CAT going bad cause I don't have the money to pay for something else and its getting worse.

Did a little research and people say that it makes the noise that mine is making if the CAT is rapidly cooled from snow or water and cracks the shell. Wouldn't surprise me with the type of winter we had.

How about an aftermarket one like at Pep Boys or NAPA? In NJ if you get caught without one I believe it's a $10,000 fine!

yeah but the chances of getting caught are slim....

well let me put it to you this way... a handful of my boys have had various cars with straight pipes since h.s and no1 has ever gotten caught

I took the cats off a mustang I had and bought the things that plugged in at the sensors to make them think the air was good.

Also I gutted a cat out on my S10 with no problems.

Of course Alabama doesn't do inspections.

Archived