Customer Service 866.965.0400

Custom Center Console Help

Kingsford

I came across this picture on another forum years ago and have wanted to do it ever since....

Custom_Console_Side_1.jpg

I started to make it once but it seemed too complicated for me.

Questions:

How do I get the right measurements?

What type of wood should I use for the structure?

What type of tool would be best to cut the wood?

I am fairly good at upholstery so I think I can manage that. I still have all the stuff from when I tried to make it before. Anyone care to help?

Anyone care to make the sides of it for???? :)

I made a similar (but far smaller and less complex custom GPS mount for my VW. I'll take some pics later today, but basically I used lexan instead of wood.

What I did was:

Figure out the size of the piece as if it were flat, then cut the lexan to size. To form the lexan I clamped blocks of wood along the edges and leaving just about 1/4 inch gap where the "fold" would be. Then I heated that area with a heat gun and gently folded it to the proper angle. I cut a appropriately sized side pieces for the sides, drilled out holes so the sound could come out of the back of the GPS, then epoxied it all together. After that I sanded the seams smooth, prepped the entire surface and them painted it with automotive interior (lightly textured) spray paint that I bought at Advance Auto. Then I put a little rubber edging around the cutout for the GPS -- and that's it!

It weighs next to nothing and everyone that gets in my car thinks it's factory. Pops right out, too, in case I park in a sketchy area and want to put it in the trunk.

I know this post is worthless without pics, so I'll get some later today.

Rich

Your gonna need..

1. MDF

2. Router with multiple bits

3. Table saw

4. fiberglass or bondo

5. Drill

6. screws

7. glue

:iagree: Jason, here's a tip. Pre-drill the holes in the MDF. Sometimes if you're too close to the edge you will split the wood. If you don't have a router, you could try a Dremel or jigsaw. When cutting the holes in your pieces make a jig. It will be the easiest way to do it.

I think what I would do to get the correct dimensions of the box is take cardboard and make a template. Cardboard is much easier to trim and fit. Once you have it how you want it, you can pull the template apart and trace it on the wood.

It doesn't seem very hard. If you lived closer I could bang it out in 2 hours or so.

OK, here are the pics of my setup:

This shows the cubbyhole area that I built over.

DSCN5204.jpg

The top front edge is what I heated and bent. The sides are epoxied in. The large holes are there to allow sound to make it out of the GPS's rear speaker and into the cabin.

DSCN5202.jpg

And here's the piece in place. Looks stock and has the same general plastic texture texture as everything else. :thumbsup:

DSCN5201.jpg

Thats a Great Idea for the GPS.

I like where you have it positioned! I don't even look at my GPS when i'm using it. When it tells me to turn, I turn!

Turn Right NOW. :lol:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tZXM_g3mqew" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I would use card board or card stock paper (available at your local office supply store) to make the initial mock up. The card stock may be easier to work with because it is thinner and esier to cut. You can even epoxy the card stock to make a mold of you want.

Jason, just take some cardboard and play around with it. Make it out of cardboard first. It's the cheapest and easiest way to get the fit and look you want.

Exactly... Just take some measurements, make a rough template out os light cardboard, then fiddle & trial/error your way to the right specs. :thumbsup:

Archived