Customer Service 866.965.0400

Porter Cable Cord

03Ap1

Question

21 answers to this question

speaking of safety and what not ide recomend putting a GFCI outlet in your garage for your PC/Flex/vacumes. I put one in after watching a "1,000 ways to die"(episode of hot chicks in scantaly clad bathing suits doing a charity wash) and dragging my vacumm cord through the damp concrete....

Takes 10 minutes to swap out an outlet in your garage....

Here's a better chart that I posted as a sticky in the machine polishing area.

pc_extension_recommend.jpg

My PC is personally extended with a 25' foot, 16 gauge cord and it is not cumbersome whatsoever.

Good to know. I thought it would be harder to deal with. That is what I get for thinking!:)

Here's what Porter Cable says!

extension cord

An extension cord must have adequate wire size (AWG or American Wire Gauge) for safety.

The smaller the gauge number of the wire, the greater the capacity of the cable, that is 16 gauge

has more capacity than 18 gauge. An undersized cord will cause a drop in line voltage resulting in

loss of power and overheating. When using more than one extension to make up the total length, be

sure each individual extension contains at least the minimum wire size. The following table shows

the correct size to use depending on cord length and nameplate ampere rating. If in doubt, use the

next heavier gauge. The smaller the gauge number, the heavier the cord.

Minimum Gauge for Cord Sets

Ampere Rating

Volts Total Length of Cord in Feet (meters)

120V 25 (7.6) 50 (15.2) 100 (30.5) 150 (45.7)

240V 50 (15.2) 100 (30.5) 200 (61.0) 300 (91.4)

More

Than

Not More

Than AWG

0 6 18 16 16 14

6 10 18 16 14 12

10 12 16 16 14 12

12 16 14 12 Not Recommended

Here's a better chart that I posted as a sticky in the machine polishing area.

pc_extension_recommend.jpg

My PC is personally extended with a 25' foot, 16 gauge cord and it is not cumbersome whatsoever.

well if you have a wash bucket that you havent emptied, a puddle from when you rinsed your car.. its just nice to have it as a precaution.. and like mentioned, they're cheap and easy.. why risk it?

speaking of safety and what not ide recomend putting a GFCI outlet in your garage for your PC/Flex/vacumes. I put one in after watching a "1,000 ways to die"(episode of hot chicks in scantaly clad bathing suits doing a charity wash) and dragging my vacumm cord through the damp concrete....

PCs dont come much into contact with water much, I think I should be ok. (Or I Hope lol)

Here's what Porter Cable says!

extension cord

An extension cord must have adequate wire size (AWG or American Wire Gauge) for safety.

The smaller the gauge number of the wire, the greater the capacity of the cable, that is 16 gauge

has more capacity than 18 gauge. An undersized cord will cause a drop in line voltage resulting in

loss of power and overheating. When using more than one extension to make up the total length, be

sure each individual extension contains at least the minimum wire size. The following table shows

the correct size to use depending on cord length and nameplate ampere rating. If in doubt, use the

next heavier gauge. The smaller the gauge number, the heavier the cord.

Minimum Gauge for Cord Sets

Ampere Rating

Volts Total Length of Cord in Feet (meters)

120V 25 (7.6) 50 (15.2) 100 (30.5) 150 (45.7)

240V 50 (15.2) 100 (30.5) 200 (61.0) 300 (91.4)

More

Than

Not More

Than AWG

0 6 18 16 16 14

6 10 18 16 14 12

10 12 16 16 14 12

12 16 14 12 Not Recommended

:iagree: I know the one in my garage is. It's also code here to have one.

If I remember correctly, a 14 ga. cord will not fit in the protector. You may have to put some type of lube to get a 16 ga through.

If you're going 25 feet a 16 ga will be fine. Besides 14 ga. 25 foot cord will be expensive.

I just tore open my PC. It's a T-20 torx screw. I was wrong with the wiring. It's two wires that come in. So you will have two wire cord and splice them. The cord comes in and then goes right to the dial.

P1000593.jpg

That 14g wire is not gonna cooperate very well when you wanna sling the cord over your shoulder while detailing. You sure you wanna go that big? For me. I just use the stock cord and zip tie the extension cord to the pc cord. That way I can drag it without it diconnecting and I still have a flexible cord close to the car that is easy to work with. My .02

I was going to use a 25 foot 14 gauge wire just to be safe. I rather buy a bigger gauge as long as I know its safe. Seems simple enough. Maybe Ill make a DIY with pics if I do it. Quick question how are the wires attached inside the machine? Solder, screw etc? (To anyone whos taken it apart before) Will 14 guage fit in the old sleeve protector on the PC?

Good to know. Also I was just wondering can someone link me up a DIY on how to do change the cord out for a longer one? Thanks Chris

I thought there was one on here, but I can't find it.

It is really quite simple. First off, how long of a cord do you want? The cord on the PC from the factory is an 18ga cord which is only rated to go up to 25 feet long. After that you have to go up to a 16 ga cord. 16 ga. will be good up to 100 feet long. However it is bigger and less flexible.

After figuring out what size cord you need, you have to take apart the PC. (I have never taken apart my PC, but I can see how it comes apart) First thing you have to remove the three screws in the grey casing. Then pull the two halves apart. You will see where the cord comes in and attaches. There should be three wires (hot, neutral, and ground) Unhook those wires and make a note which one went where (which color went where). Where the cord enters the PC body there is a cord sleeve/protector. You will need to save that. Now the PC is de-corded. Get your new extension cord and cut off the female end with a wire cutters. Then slide the cord sleeve on the new cord and out of the way of the cut end. On the cut end stripe the insulation back on the three wires and hook them up to the PC. Slide the cord sleeve back into place and put the casing back on the PC. Insert the three screws and BAM! New longer cord on the PC.

I have never opened my PC, so I'm not 100% sure on what the insides look like. But I'm willing to bet that I'm pretty close in my instructions.

If you want a 25 foot cord, use 18 ga. 25 to 100, use a 16 ga.

Does this help?

Good to know. Also I was just wondering can someone link me up a DIY on how to do change the cord out for a longer one? Thanks Chris

I'd do it with Duct Tape and an extension cord :D:D:D

I'm not real handy with that kind of stuff :mad:

Archived