Customer Service 866.965.0400

HELP! Pitting/Oxidation Polished Aluminum Wheels & Chrome Side Steps

Z71_Denali

Question

my truck sits outside in an apartment parking lot, and my covered space happens to be at the end right next to a water sprinkler, and let's just say you can taste the chlorides in the hard tap water here! the polished aluminum wheels and chrome side steps are starting to pit, rust, oxidize, whatever you want to call it!

i have tried soaking them in APC, GWC, clay barring them, metal polish, SHR, Revive, and the pits/oxidation is still there.

i noticed on the back of my Metal Polish bottle, it states, "for heavily oxidized metal, use an acid-based cleaner first."

will this help? i think my wheels are clear coated polished aluminum, and the steps are chromed steel. any suggestions, please help before i take it in to replace the parts under the rust warranty!

please excuse the reflection of my muddy undercarriage, the rust spot is more of an issue to me right now:

8251f281.jpg

kinda hard to see the pitting, all other photos i took showed no blemishes; no idea what that bump/chip in this photo is from:

133d0270.jpg

9 answers to this question

Pitting is a physical void where the chlorines have eaten into the metal.... no amount of polishing is going to fix that. As the detailing adage goes: YOU CAN'T POLISH WHAT ISN'T THERE.

Wish I could say otherwise, but if you have pitting its something thats outside the realm of DIY repair. You're looking at having things refinished.

Pitting is a physical void where the chlorines have eaten into the metal.... no amount of polishing is going to fix that. As the detailing adage goes: YOU CAN'T POLISH WHAT ISN'T THERE.

Wish I could say otherwise, but if you have pitting its something thats outside the realm of DIY repair. You're looking at having things refinished.

well, maybe i just worded it badly... when i run my fingers across it, it doesn't feel like a voidage.

well, i hate to say it, but i went to the parts store and bought an over the counter wheel cleaner that was safe for clear coated OEM wheels... it got the grime off the wheels where GWC couldn't.

no, i don't want a 110% refund because i still like using the GWC every car wash. lets just say the stuff i used has a VERY potent smell and probably isn't biodegradable. i had been neglecting the wheels on my truck, and that is why the grime was so bad.

HOWEVER, the rust spot on my side steps did not go away after trying everything imaginable... looks like the dealership owes me a new side step under the 6 year rust warranty!

Archived