Customer Service 866.965.0400

Need advice on a correct detail process and problem areas w/ pics

daddylonglegs86

Question

Hello guys, I'm new to the forum... I just started my collection. I have a gilmour foam gun, 2 buckets with 2 grit guards, claybar with detail spray, car wash, soft microfiber mit, drying towel.

I'm planning on getting a pc with polishes for my minor swirls on my truck, but in the mean time I want a fresh detail.

I plan on..

dawn wash/dry with 2 bucket system

claybar w/detail spray

carwash w/ mit & dry with 2 bucket system

What kind of wax should I get considering I would be applying by hand? Is process with a coat of wax suffice??

Also need some suggestions on how to get rid of this nasty accumulated road grim on my paint/wheel well. Also I have some yellow road paint on my paint... what's the best/safest process for removing these items???

Here's some pics to show you what I'm talking about.

Sorry for all the questions

9 answers to this question

First :welcome:!

Does your paint need correcting? If so you would need to go over it with SHR to remove any scratches then Revive to polish then a coat of Buttery or Americana. I think you did say you would be working by hand.

To remove the tar & paint on your paint I would try claying. Under your fender wells I would use APC and a scrub brush and maybe a plastic scraper. Did you watch the Detailing Videos?

The paint has very minor swirls, I'm still waiting to get the PC with all the polishes... I mainly wanted to get a good wash, clay, and seal it off with a coat of wax for now. So I guess my question is after I wash and clay it, I'm going to be applying my wax by hand because I don't have a PC yet, so which wax would be better for my application? I will try the claybar on the road paint and grime... I also have some 3M adhesive remover... how should I apply this to the paint if the claybar doesn't do the trick??

Thanks again.

Chris is right now with what to do. If the claybar doesn't work on the grime, take a M/F towel and pour some 3M on it then rub on the grime. If you use the 3M, make sure you keep rotating the towel. You don't want to rub the grime back into your paint.

So I guess my question is after I wash and clay it, I'm going to be applying my wax by hand because I don't have a PC yet, so which wax would be better for my application?

Americana Paste Wax or Buttery Wax. Buttery is liquid wax that is very easy to apply and remove. APW is also easy to apply (but don't let it sit too long) and gives the longest protection of the hand applied waxes.

Get some APC man. You will love it. All of that nasty stuff on your tires/wheel wells/bumper/exhaust will magically slide off after some APC is applied. Also, I have found that some diluted APC on those areas makes it easier on my wash mitt.

I agree with Vincenzo, you have a lot tar and bugs from the pictures... to help save time with the clay bar process, I would recommend spraying down these trouble areas with so APC before you wash. This will knock the bulk of that stuff off and save tons of time during the claying process... and also save your clay bar!!!!

Archived