Customer Service 866.965.0400

My first "real" detail

scott5

Question

OK. I am getting ready to dive in into this world. I can't wait, but do have some questions. This is the kit i am looking at (http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-99-adams-essentials-detail-kit.aspx#contents)

The adams essnetials detail kit. Now i have printed out the steps along with reading this sticky by Dylan(http://www.tbssowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6293) and am going to follow it by the T. I am going to take a whole day doing my SS because i want to make sure i do this right.

My two questions. Aside from that kit, is there anything else i should consider purchasing? And are there any little extra tips that may help me out(or maybe a video that is a need to see)? I always enjoyed cleaning my cars, but with all this info i am gaining it seems that i will LOVE detailing now with the type of results i have been seeing and the fact that i haven't been using great products.

I have been trying to read all the stickys and watch the videos as much as I can so if I have skipped something and asked a question that has been answered numerous times, I apologize.

Thanks for your time, Scott

10 answers to this question

On the purchase: add a gallon of Detail Spray to your order. I didn't and placed a 2nd order within a week. This will get you on the road to a cleaner car with easy to use products, but don't expect to correct your paint to the level that you see on here without using a machine.

Tips

With any cleaning or polishing step use the least aggressive method first - add an empty APC bottle to your order and fill it with 1/2 water & 1/2 APC. When cleaning use the 50/50 solution first. If that does not produce the results you want use it full strength.

Also, remember with Adam's less product is better - especially with the polishes and waxes. Use the recommended amount of the product - more polish will just clog the pads and make it harder to use, and more wax will just be harder to remove and will not provide more protection. If you think you need to use more of something, try the recommended amount first, then apply again if it doesn't look good to you - specifically SVRT on tires as some prefer more shine.

Good luck!

Micheal nailed it mostly.. Especially on the DS. I went through a whole bottle just claying the SS. If you are planning to Clay & hand polish then wax the whole thing, you will need a lot more than a day. I used a PC on my SS, and it took me about 30 hours to do a total top to bottom FULL ON inside and out detail. 25 of that was the exterior! Just some food for thought!

You will need gallons of DS and APC. As long as you have seen the videos on this site (and watch the junkman's on youtube) you will do well. And remember to pick up some of your favorite energy drinks because you will be exhausted hand polishing (or PC polishing).

Yup, add a gallon of DS. The first claying is the most demanding (never been clayed before) and sets the stage for the shine to come. The first time will take a bit of effort, but wait until you see the results. After claying and polishing, the finish will fee like glass.

(this is how it starts... :D )

Everyone has pretty much nailed it. Glad I added the gallon of DS to my first order. I have since added just about everything in a gallon. But that kit is a great starter!!

:iagree: watch the junkman and the dvd. Those gave me tips that make so much sense but you dont think of them till someone tells u. BTW u found the perfect forum for that. I have found that here on adams no question is stupid at all just repeatedly answered in the same robotic tone as if we are all brain washed. To answer that yes we are all brain washed by glorious shine. it's a proven fact that man is attracted to shiny objects!:banana:

Archived