Customer Service 866.965.0400

Can a Flex do this....

Captain McFunk

Question

Hey guys,

So i'm contemplating picking up a Flex polisher, as i've got some money sitting in a paypal account I haven't used in awhile, so I can get one for about $160 out of my bank account. My question is: With the PC, it takes 2 passes with SHR and 2 passes with FMP to get the swirls out of my camaro. Would it be safe to say with the Flex that i'd be able to cut this down to 1 pass of each? I'm ALL about efficiency, and actually would like to spend as little time correcting as necessary.

Thanks!

20 answers to this question

Hard to speak in absolutes b/c detailing is full of variables.

Will the Flex work much faster than the PC? Yes.

Will it cut your number of passes in half? Maybe... hard to say.

Gotta figure just based on stats:

Flex @ Speed 6 = 9600opm + 480rpm

PC @ Speed 6 = 6800opm + 0rpm

Just based on the speed at which the polisher will break products down you can bet it will be faster. How much faster will come down to the defects you're going after, your technique, your car, the conditions you're working in, etc.

Adam, the Flex will cut your time by at least a third. But here is something you probably didn't think of. You said you did 2 passes SHR and 2 passes FMP and now your paint is good, right? So as long as you maintain your paint right you will never need to SHR again (except for scratches). That right there will save you time.

However, the Flex is very nice if I do say so myself. :D

I did one panel correctly, the rest i did too fast so it didn't correct all the way, so there is still some to be done! plus the girlfriends car needs some SSR BAD hahaha.

Awesome, great info, my only desire is the cut down the time I spend on each panel. I think it's fair to say if it takes me 30 minutes on a panel, it'll take me 15-20 with a flex for the same results. Thats what i'm looking for.

Adam, the Flex will cut your time by at least a third. But here is something you probably didn't think of. You said you did 2 passes SHR and 2 passes FMP and now your paint is good, right? So as long as you maintain your paint right you will never need to SHR again (except for scratches). That right there will save you time.

However, the Flex is very nice if I do say so myself. :D

well i went with the flex. My wife is going to sheit when she finds out i dropped 800 bucks to finish my adams collection. But it was either badas paint or rims. Since im wanting 22's i went with paint since it is so expensive for tires for 22'' rims.:help: BTW if you dont see me post anything on here for a while its probly cause my wife has murdered me.

once i get comfortable with the PC im going to jump to the flex...i spent close to 35 hours last week correcting my DD and only got it to 95%. I actually just finished it lastnight(or this morning i should say) i started Americana around 1am and finished around 2-15ish am:help:

The Flex is faster, but there is no way we could say how many passes it would take for either machine. Each car, paint, situation is different. If you are only going to have one polisher you need the PC! Then add a Flex later!:thumbsup:

Serious words of wisdom there Chris and it applies to much more than just the PC vs Flex :bow::bow::bow:

Hard to speak in absolutes b/c detailing is full of variables.

Will the Flex work much faster than the PC? Yes.

Will it cut your number of passes in half? Maybe... hard to say.

Gotta figure just based on stats:

Flex @ Speed 6 = 9600opm + 480rpm

PC @ Speed 6 = 6800opm + 0rpm

Just based on the speed at which the polisher will break products down you can bet it will be faster. How much faster will come down to the defects you're going after, your technique, your car, the conditions you're working in, etc.

Awesome, great info, my only desire is the cut down the time I spend on each panel. I think it's fair to say if it takes me 30 minutes on a panel, it'll take me 15-20 with a flex for the same results. Thats what i'm looking for.

The Flex is faster, but there is no way we could say how many passes it would take for either machine. Each car, paint, situation is different.If you are only going to have one polisher you need the PC! Then add a Flex later!:thumbsup:

this is great advice..

I have the PC and will eventually get the Flex as well, but with the PC being able to utilize the 4" focus pads, and apply MSW, I'm glad I have it..

The Flex is faster, but there is no way we could say how many passes it would take for either machine. Each car, paint, situation is different.If you are only going to have one polisher you need the PC! Then add a Flex later!:thumbsup:

:iagree: with Chris...

If your doing this on a regular basis, you will want the flex sooner than later

But i am pondering the idea of switching from hand polishing to machine so is pc or flex best. Not trying to hijack your thread man just figured i add to it.:jester:

Start with the PC.

If you are only doing your vehicles, there should only be one "heavy" correction for each car. Proper wash techniques will take care of that for you. The PC is more versatile, but does take a little longer when doing "heavy" corrections. That being said, most pro detailer's I know use the PC and if that isn't enough they use a rotary.

Flex is faster if used properly. I personally use both side by side...

As for minimizing the damage done by washing after polishing.... Foam Gun is a pretty good idea, Grit Guard, two bucket wash, drying with DS or WW & pooling method. Remember when using WW to flip the towel when the side you are using gets dirty.

Plz help as i am curious as well. i have very minor imperfection in the paint as i have always used the best technique to wash my truck as possible except for once where i got these imperfection(stupid so called pros). But i am pondering the idea of switching from hand polishing to machine so is pc or flex best. Not trying to hijack your thread man just figured i add to it.:jester:

Archived