Customer Service 866.965.0400

Kindle Question

MAYBEN

Kindle vs iPad for reading  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Kindle vs iPad for reading

• Do I get her a Kindle and eventually an iPad?
    • Just wait until I can afford the iPad

My Wife loves to read and I have been debating getting her a Kindle.. I have yet to because I usually tell myself, just get her an iPad since I plan on getting her one of those eventually..

I am trying to figure out if I should bother with it.. I can't afford an iPad right now but can swing a Kindle..

Our First Anniversary is coming up this weekend and since the traditional gift would be paper, I was thinking the Kindle might work with that idea, obviously its electronic, but its function is for 'paperbacks' lol

I would love to hear anyone's experience with it and I am making this a poll.. my fear is if I get her a Kindle now, and then an iPad eventually, will the Kindle become obsolete? or is it maybe more convenient to have in her purse?

HA! Happy anniversary, ours is tomorrow actually :cheers:

I guess the question is would she want it for more than reading? The Kindle and nook are both strictly readers and actually much better suited for it than the ipad is.

the ipad can brows the web, watch movies, and all that stuff too so its much more than just a reader.

also, IMHO as a reader it sucks. we have one and its a bit big for an e-book and the glare is annoying in certain lights.

Congrats on your anniversary, ours is the 29th.. we actually have to go to a wedding on it..

also, IMHO as a reader it sucks. we have one and its a bit big for an e-book and the glare is annoying in certain lights.

I was thinking the size may be an issue, as well as the glare.. I imagine she would like to use it at the beach.. I guess maybe that makes up my mind as far as getting a separate reader, but you brought up another thing I saw which is the Nook..

I like the color aspect of the Nook but it may not be a necessity..

I've played with both... I don't think I'd say either is better than the other, but the kindle seems to be far more popular/better marketed which would lead me to believe it will continue to be supported where as the nook may end up falling off the face of the earth.

As an Apple fan, I would have the say the Ipad. With the Ipad, you can add apps, have the camera, awesome and clear screen. It basically is a mini computer without the disc drive. It's a little bit bigger than the Kindle, but I think it would be better out of the two.

The Kindle is really lightweight, small, and does not have the glare. From what I understand though, it only has the ability to read books, use wifi, and has a drawing/note pad. So it's good for books, but if you want to play games or watch movies then you can't.

The Blackberry playboys is a waste unless you have a blackberry.

The Samsung Galaxy tab is about the same size as the Kindle just a little thicker and is similar to the Apple Ipad.

There is another tablet they used to sell at Officemax, but I can't remember what it's called.

Check out the Barnes & Noble Nook Color too. I heard that it was pretty cool and is kind of in the middle between the two.

Hope this helps a little, need to know more just let me know. I've done a little bit of research on the two in question for myself. Sorry for the long response!

I appreciate the responses.. I am thinking I will go with an eReader so she does have something dedicated for reading and should fit in her purse rather well.. I definitely think she will use it on the beach so glares would definitely be a drawback of using the iPad..

I will eventually get her an iPad, but I think she would still use this for its purpose.. I know right now she's wishing she had one as she is on a plane to Chicago for work until Thursday evening..

I am leaning towards the Kindle as they have 'paved' the way for eReaders.. I guess the next part of my decision would be whether to get the 3G capability for $189 or the Kindle with only wifi for $139.. I would also get her a decent case and like the one's with the built in light..

definitely is worth a look..

from what I see so far, the 3rd gen is more compact and 'faster' according to http://www.best-ereaders.com/2010/08/10/kindle-2-vs-kindle-3-the-ultimate-comparison/

My fear of getting a refurb is that it will look like a refurb.. When I worked at VZW, some of the phones that were refurbs came in scratched, worn, etc..

definitely is worth a look..

from what I see so far, the 3rd gen is more compact and 'faster' according to http://www.best-ereaders.com/2010/08/10/kindle-2-vs-kindle-3-the-ultimate-comparison/

My fear of getting a refurb is that it will look like a refurb.. When I worked at VZW, some of the phones that were refurbs came in scratched, worn, etc..

I've bought a lot of refurb stuff thru woot... would never know it wasn't new. they do an amazing job of repacking too, most times in factory original packaging!

We have a couple of iPads and my Niece has a Kindle. The Kindle IS much easier to read a book on IMO, but it's a pain to do anything else on. If all she wants to do is read, 139 bucks gets you there.

The iPad 2 is considerably lighter and thinner than the 1 so it does make it easier to use for reading.

I wouldn't trade my iPad for a Kindle, but I don't read a lot of books on mine.

Chris

The Kindle @ $114.99 has ADs.. BUT a buddy of mine was just telling me that they're only in the screensaver and not when you're reading..

I think I will go with that one then, some of the ADs are ie: $20 Amazon Card for $10..

I also have $20 Best Buy bucks I need to use before they expire.. I may have to order the case though, I saw one on Amazon that I like because it has a light built in but its $59.99

We use Kindle on our iPads because my wife can also use and see all her books on her Android, whereas if we went with Apples iBooks, we'd be limited to only Apple devices.

Nook has an app for both too.

I think she'll be happy with it Nick. It's smaller than you think though. I was surprised how small it was.

Chris

I've seen them in person.. I think she will like that aspect as I'm sure she will keep it in her purse.. she loves reading, but doesn't always have a book in the purse..

I love my Apple stuff, but I have to admit that for just reading a kindle is probably world's better. I've read a few books on my iPad, but you always have to position yourself to avoid glare, I don't think it'd be good outside, and the text just isn't as sharp as a kindle's technology. Plus, I'd worry less about taking it everywhere... $150 versus $500+.

Rich

I gotta tell you, I am attached at the hip to my Kindle. I own probably 2000 soft and hard cover books and never thought I would be a fan.

I was wrong.

It is the best cash I have spent on a piece of tech in years. The adustablity of the font size, insanly long battery life (I have gotten 25 plus days with wireless off on a charge), the massive library of books. It goes on and on.

The only real problem? I now have over 100 books on it that I have not read and I find two or three more free ones every week that I want to read!

thanks for the input Jim..

it looks like I will be getting one tomorrow if I get a chance to run up to the Best Buy.. Gotta figure out how to make the purchase without her knowing..

Color me old fashioned, I love a book. Many a night I wake myself up dropping the book I'm reading as I doze off. How many times could I drop an iPad or Kindle on our hard wood floors before it'd need replacing? Plus I can't see taking one of those in to the library with me every morning for deuce fest.....

To each their own, enjoy the technology and more importantly, Happy Anniversary. :2thumbs::rockon::cheers:

All I am going to say is iPad's can do SOOOOO much more. Take it from a tech guy who uses an iPad DAILY at work instead of lugging a huge laptop around.

I keep all of my service manuals on it along with my books, music, movies and all the apps I have...

iPads are worth it over an E-Reader.

Color me old fashioned, I love a book. Many a night I wake myself up dropping the book I'm reading as I doze off. How many times could I drop an iPad or Kindle on our hard wood floors before it'd need replacing? Plus I can't see taking one of those in to the library with me every morning for deuce fest.....

My wife said the same thing... She LOVES it. When we take a trip, she can take thousands of books... Not just a couple, and they take up very little room. She can watch movies on the plane, keep our son entertained, check emails, surf her baby forum, check weather, and use it as a cook book. You'd be surprised what you use it for.

I use mine to airplay movies to my theater system as well as music, home movies and photos.

If you have greasy fingers and are clumsy, then any tech isn't for you... iPads or any tablet for that matter, don't like to be dropped on hard wood floors. That being said, we have hard wood floors in our first floor and neither of us have dropped them. I made sure to put a skin on mine which makes it stickier and easier to hang on to, and my wife has hers in a folder/book setup which she prefers and I hate. There's a million cases out there to please just about everyone.

Thanks!

You're scaring me as she did drop her Blackberry in the turlet the other day.. now she's using her brother's droid since he has an iP4

BB's make great boat anchors but don't work well as toilet paper! lol

Chris

Archived