Customer Service 866.965.0400

PC Questions Please inform

ExpressThis13

Question

OK so as some of you may know I ordered my PC last weekend and it arrived today and I have a few questions and concerns about the PC and other stuff as well.

First off about this washer Im hearing about my PC came with what looks like the Adams Backing Plate already installed on the PC so is my PC already to go? I dont wanna go out and start if something isnt right.

Secondly I have extension cords in the garage but not sure on the size gauge of them. Is there a way to tell the gauge of a extension cord or should I just hold the PC cable up to my extension cable and see if its bigger?

This is my first attempt at machine polishing and my first PC so I want to get it right and not make a stupid mistake. Thanks Guys and Gals.

23 answers to this question

Don't put too much thought into it all... Take it slow and enjoy. The weather sure is nice!! Ugh!!!

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

arent the green and yellow the same type of foam? Thats what I read somewhere anyway but yeah I probably will need the green pad and if you do want to sell it to me thats cool otherwise I can just buy one no biggie. How much?

Same foam yes, but different. The yellow is more aggressive.

I'll sell at the same price as Adams but without shipping... It's brand new, never used still in the bag I believe. Let me know if you need it. I'll be gone this weekend, but I can stick it in the mailbox or something.

Chris

I'll say that after the research because as a newb it felt like it was rocket science. But after using the pc on a test subject(the waverunner) i feel its so easy and great to have such a simple machine do so much to my trashed visor. I feel comfortable taking it to betty now(weather permitting). My main problem is when im not working and on the lake i find it hard to have 12hrs for the msw to cure, i'm about to say "f it " do the correction then worry about the msw after another wash. Anyways my 2cents but just dive into it man start on the tailgate to get the feel and speed. All the other dominoes will fall into place.:2thumbs:

If it comes to you needing a green pad, you can buy mine... I have one that I honestly won't use now that I have the flex. I also have a yellow pad, but I won't sell it. You could use it though.

You could use SSHR on an orange pad, but remember that the foam really does a lot of the cutting...

His car needs AT LEAST the SHR... I've looked at it. (no disrespect Eric)

SSHR would probably be my go to choice though...

Chris

yeah I know crhis. My car hasnt had the respect it deserves in the past by me and by the previous owner. Im thinking im gonna need SSR but for now im gonna try SHR and see how that works for me for now. I do have SSR and the green focus pad would some SSR and SHR on the same pad (orange) be bad say try 2 drops of SHR with one drop of SSR or visa versa? My car is no where near perfect and in some spots it needs new paint like my mirrors and drivers door where I have a nice crease and deep scratches. If weather and time permits im gonna try to get my car done this weekend (fingers crossed)

It is also a DD as well and face it an 02 grand prix so im not that concerned about making it absolutly perfect and I just want it to look good and have good protection. Now if I had a toy in the garage like a 02 SS camaro or a GT or Cobra Mustang that would be a different story.

Don't put too much thought into it all... Take it slow and enjoy. The weather sure is nice!! Ugh!!!

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

:iagree: After you get started don't overthink the amount of product to put on the pad either. I was a nervous wreck after reading and watching how to videos with "X" patterns, 3-pea size drops, etc. etc.

To quote the master ..... "Just a quick mist of Detail Spray" Orange pad -orange product White pad - white product.:D

Simple as that. I just did the initial first pass with the PC on the car with an X pattern applied to the pad, gave it a little rub on the car hit the switch and it was off to the races. For every panel I again hit the pad with a quick shot of DS and a few drops of product and after full coverage of product on the pad, I even skipped a couple panels with just hitting the pad with a quick shot of DS and no additional product. You won't believe how easy the PC is.

One more tip....use the least invasive product first and see what the panel looks like after you PC it. I was able to just use the FMP on my car, skipping the SHR step. I even had a car that didn't need FMP so I just hit with Revive. The beauty of Adam's is that he makes a product for each condition of a finish. Revive - For near perfect finishes, FMP - For finishes with very minor swirls, SHR - For finishes with swirls, hazing and micro-scratches and SSHR for really trashed finishes.:D

As I've said before .... we (Detailing Addicts Annonymous) all like to turn this into rocket sciencery even though Adam has made detailing sooooo darn easy with his products! :lolsmack:

I've mounted a 4-gang electrical outlet on my rolling detail cart. I plug that into the wall with a 12 gauge 50-foot extension cord and roll the cart behind me with the PC plugged in. I needed the extra amperage because I plug other stufff into that outlet.

A 12 guage 50 ft cord is quite hefty but good for 20 A at 50 ft.

I've mounted a 4-gang electrical outlet on my rolling detail cart. I plug that into the wall with a 12 gauge 50-foot extension cord and roll the cart behind me with the PC plugged in. I needed the extra amperage because I plug other stufff into that outlet.

Alright Thanks. I just went and looked at our extension cords and they're pretty beat up we have done alot of house remodeling in the past using saws and stuff. on the the male end of the extension cord in between the prongs on off to the side im seeing a number like W8 so i dunno if its a 8 gauge or not but I cant tell. I found a 50ft 14 gauge wire 15amp extension cord for 20 bucks.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_242130-66906-UTK506730_0__?productId=3190827&Ntt=extension+cords&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dextension%2Bcords&facetInfo=

Eric, the gauge will be on the actually cord not on the plug. It will probably be stamped/indented in the cord. You will see something like "16AWG" and some other stuff. That means it's a 16 gauge cord.

Alright Thanks. I just went and looked at our extension cords and they're pretty beat up we have done alot of house remodeling in the past using saws and stuff. on the the male end of the extension cord in between the prongs on off to the side im seeing a number like W8 so i dunno if its a 8 gauge or not but I cant tell. I found a 50ft 14 gauge wire 15amp extension cord for 20 bucks.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_242130-66906-UTK506730_0__?productId=3190827&Ntt=extension+cords&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dextension%2Bcords&facetInfo=

alright guys thanks for all the answers to my questions. I appreciate it im gonna look at my extension cords right now and see what I got.

Thanks Dylan I seen the PC box looked like it had the factory seal on the box so I was not 100% and didnt see the backing plate in the box but it was on the PC so I just wanted to make absolutly certain before I went to town on our cars. I may have more questions as I get going here but ive watched the videos so many times I think im gonna be good to go.

Actually I do have one more question I plan on putting MSW tomorrow sometime if things go well but its gonna be on my sisters car so my question is if she drives it and its raining how is that going to affect the curing process?

It'll be fine... you might see some odd clouding or hazing on the finish (especially if its a dark color) but nothing that won't be fixed with either some DS or a quick wash.

Great question! I got my pc recently but instead of my truck, my waverunner got the treatment due to rain and the truck wont fit in the carport. From what i read as long as you have 12hrs to cure your fine but im curious about the what if's as well:willy:

alright guys thanks for all the answers to my questions. I appreciate it im gonna look at my extension cords right now and see what I got.

Thanks Dylan I seen the PC box looked like it had the factory seal on the box so I was not 100% and didnt see the backing plate in the box but it was on the PC so I just wanted to make absolutly certain before I went to town on our cars. I may have more questions as I get going here but ive watched the videos so many times I think im gonna be good to go.

Actually I do have one more question I plan on putting MSW tomorrow sometime if things go well but its gonna be on my sisters car so my question is if she drives it and its raining how is that going to affect the curing process?

Question 1: Yes... you're ready to go. Our guys assemble the PC's in the warehouse with our plates before they ship. No need to worry about the washer unless you already had a PC and were installing the backing plate yourself.

Question 2: Unless its a really dinky or really long extension cord odds are you're OK. Go ahead and use it. If you notice it heating up or behaving erratically (surges or slows down without you changing speed settings) stop using it immediately and go buy yourself a new extension cord.

Honestly though... good extension cords, especially the ones with a lock on the female side are worth the investment and not much money. The lock makes sure you don't accidentally unplug your PC moving around the car... you can get a proper gauge extension cord at a good length with the prong lock for less than $80 or a decent 50ft w/o the lock for around $30.

Good to go right out of the box, well put the pad on first:jester:. As for cord you should see it either printed on the cord or it will be pressed into the pvc jacket. BTW you cant tell guage by holding one cord to another it get's a little more complicated than that.

I'm sure these guys know best, with all their experience with the PC. But you could also look in the manual and see how many Amps it draws, and look at the chart below to ensure no power loss with whatever extension cord you have.

I couldn't find any good pics, but 14-16 gauge will be your standard size extension cords used around the garage.

10-12 gauge would be more of a contractor grade.

You could always go to your local Home Improvement store and compare yours with the one on the shelf.

extension-cord-sizes2.jpg

Archived