Customer Service 866.965.0400

New camera, lots of pics

LDM

On Saturday I finally got my first DSLR camera. I didn't say anything because I knew certain people would be demanding pics. I've only had a point-and-shoot type before, and while this camera doesn't make me a better photographer, the picture quality seems to be a BIG improvement. Anyway, today I washed the car, slapped on a coat of Brilliant Glaze, and then drove down by the water. Here are the results:

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

I still have a lot to learn with this thing, and ended up just using the auto function for most of the pictures, but hopefully with time I'll be able to take better pictures. In the meantime, I just figured I'd share what I came up with today. Still trying to decide which one's my favorite.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So what color is your car?

:lolsmack:

White Hot? :lolsmack:

I have the D5000..

I know: http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=177644&postcount=92

Get the Dummies book for that specific camera, it will save you a lot of time :thumbsup:

That's probably not a bad idea except the camera's so new that the Dummies book is still in pre-order status. It's not available yet. :(

Mind if I give some CC?

Regards,

Mike

CC :confused: If that means constructive criticism go right ahead. The more the better. Like I said, I'm no photographer, just a dummy with an expensive camera.

Len,

First, grata on entering the world of the DLSR. The great thing about digital is it can really speed up the learning curve as you don't have to spend a lot of money on film and developing.

I'll try to go easy here:

My overall comment is.. Where are you leading my eyes? In other words, simplify, simplify, simplify. I see "clutter" in a number of the shots that lead my eye away from the car. The power lines and poles, etc do the same thing. You may want to google photo composition to see a few other "rules", like the use of lines to lead they eye into the photo. The placement of the subject is also more "pleasing " if it falls in certain places in the photo and on certain imaginary grid lines.

Check your viewfinder and see if you see clutter behind the car... Again, you want the focus of the viewer to be where you want them to look. I will go through the shots and add comments when I get home and have a liitle more time.

There are a few that stand out... I'll comment on which ones and why.

Again, my aim is to provide a few pointers that will assist you in moving from taking snapshots, to taking photos... And youvwill be surprised how fast things can improve!

Again, my aim is to provide a few pointers that will assist you in moving from taking snapshots, to taking photos... And youvwill be surprised how fast things can improve!

Assist away, I need help too :rockon::rockon::rockon:

Len,

First, grata on entering the world of the DLSR. The great thing about digital is it can really speed up the learning curve as you don't have to spend a lot of money on film and developing.

I'll try to go easy here:

My overall comment is.. Where are you leading my eyes? In other words, simplify, simplify, simplify. I see "clutter" in a number of the shots that lead my eye away from the car. The power lines and poles, etc do the same thing. You may want to google photo composition to see a few other "rules", like the use of lines to lead they eye into the photo. The placement of the subject is also more "pleasing " if it falls in certain places in the photo and on certain imaginary grid lines.

Check your viewfinder and see if you see clutter behind the car... Again, you want the focus of the viewer to be where you want them to look. I will go through the shots and add comments when I get home and have a liitle more time.

There are a few that stand out... I'll comment on which ones and why.

I appreciate the tips. I have heard of the Rule of Thirds but I guess I just failed miserably at implementing it. Looking back on the pictures with what you said in mind I can see I have a lot of room for improvement. I knew they weren't great but that's why I put them up here, for feedback. If I happened to do anything right, let me know about that too so I don't fix what isn't broke. Thanks again.

Congrats on the new camera... great shots. :cheers:

Thanks Dylan. I know you now a thing or two about cameras so if you have any constructive criticism too, I'm all ears. Like Mike said, it'll be nice to go from taking snapshots to photos.

http://www.photographymad.com/pages/view/10-top-photography-composition-rules

Let's look at the photo:

lighthouse-rule-of-thirds.jpg

in general it is pleasing to hit the right or left bottom corner(s) as with the base of the tower... the tower is the focal point, the horizontal lines of the ocean help lead our eyes to the tower...

With the car you can anchor the back end of the car to the bottom right....

If you don't have a telephoto, use your feet to frame the photo get down or up to get a good viewpoint.. shooting from different angles adds interest.... experiment and have fun....

-Mike

See my inserts:

DSC_0001.jpg

Like the angle on this, my eyes is on the emblem/wheel... a little DOF (depth of field), would have completed the shot for me

DSC_0002.jpg

I'm a little distracted with the garage door and the trees... again a little DOF would pop the car out.... I'll try to 'shop one of these to show you what I mean...

DSC_0003.jpg

Like this shot... only a tiny nit.. with the vertical line coming out of the roof distracting me a smidge...

DSC_0005.jpg

Like the angle, DOF would separate the trees from the car... providing less distraction...

DSC_0007.jpg

Distracted by the railing and the horizon needs to be below the roof line...

DSC_0009.jpg

As above

DSC_0013.jpg

only issue is the house in the background is distracting me

DSC_0015.jpg

Too busy... my eyes wants to travel all over the photo...

DSC_0016.jpg

Now we're talking.... good "standard" shot...

DSC_0019.jpg

My eye wants to go to house.

DSC_0020.jpg

As above....

DSC_0021.jpg

Ok, here you are actually leading my eye out OUT of the photo.... typically a big no no...

DSC_0022.jpg

DOF might help here...

DSC_0023.jpg

As above

DSC_0024.jpg

lil busy

DSC_0027.jpg

My eye is roving....

DSC_0028.jpg

DOF and getting rid of the phone/power lines... some of this you could do in POST (processing)

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

Like the use of "negative space" (sky) here.... just a little distracted by the house....

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

Like the angle... needs DOF, trim out the lines... etc

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

Bro you NAILED this.... this is what I mean by DOF (background is blurred) separates car from background.

DSC_0047.jpg

DOF is caused by using a large aperture (small f stop number) then focusing on your subject.... turn the d5100 to A mode, you set the aperture, the camera will set the shutter speed... the bigger the aperture (hole the camera allows light through) the more light you also let in (thus a shorter shutter speed)....

Len... awesome start... look forward to seeing more... one thing as a photog, if you get up early you can get some nice dawn shots... and alot less people.... get a tripod and slow slow your shutter speed down and you will get some awesome water shots (not sure if you could get your car that close to the beach... but that would be a VERY cool shot)

An example of what I am talking about:

9164838-lg.jpg

An example of DOF to pop the car from the "noise".... you can simulate DOF in POST...

Before

DSC_0005.jpg

After:

lendofedit.jpg

I'm kinda digging this POST.... the key to 'shopping is to try to NOT tell it has been 'shopped... I see one spot that needs correction... but the most important thing is that the "client" is happy...

First, thanks for taking the time to critique each one of those. The driveway shots I knew would be distracting, but those I took just to show the car after washing. The only ones I liked of those were the emblem/wheel shot and the rear quarter shot, but like you said, some more DOF would've made it look better.

I know all the power lines are ugly, but I had a hard enough time finding tourist-free areas where I could take the pics. If they were blurred with a larger aperture, do you think they would be ok? As far as the houses, I guess I didn't want the picture to be too boring, but I just executed it poorly. You'd say I'd be better off leaving them out all together? I know a bunch of them could've been framed better along with more DOF. Believe it or not, there could've been a lot more distractions in those pics that I did manage to keep out for the most part. In this pic you can see the corner of a street sign on the edge that made it's way in, but I was trying to keep it out of the rest.

DSC_0044.jpg

I'd also try to time my shots between traffic so that I wouldn't get random cars in there. This one I screwed up and got a big ugly bus in there so I didn't bother posting it.

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

Bro you NAILED this.... this is what I mean by DOF (background is blurred) separates car from background.

I had thought that was actually one of the best ones too. This was the first picture I took...

DSC_0045.jpg

then I realized the license plate was distracting so I readjusted and snapped another shot. I guess I'll just keep working to plan my shots out better. The nice thing about digital though is the bad ones aren't really a loss. No wasted film.

Len,

Some of these can be tweaked in Post.... but the best is to get it "in the can".. in camera if you can... as you experiment/practice much of this will become second nature....

Here is another POST:

Before

DSC_0034.jpg

With some dodging, blurring, and line removal.. please excuse these quickie 'shops, trying to make a point rather than perfection...

After

lenpost.jpg

Hope this gives you some idea of what I am talking about... both with composition, DOF, and POST (when needed)... think about the pic, then make it happen (with as little 'shopping as possible)... the lines took my eye out of the pic...

Archived