Customer Service 866.965.0400

Trying to Decide how to Attack my dads Chevelle

Diggerdan11

Question

So I’m getting ready to detail my dads Chevelle and get it ready for our local cruise next week. The car is rarely driven, sits under a cover most of the time, and the paint is almost perfect (at least I think so, I will know more when I wash it).

here is a picture:

IMG_1383.jpg

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>

Im Trying to figure out which steps I should take to get it looking good. Its not a show winner or anything like that I would just like the paint to pop and the Chrome to Shine. I have both Metal Polishes so those will be great for the wheels, bumpers, and the million acres of chrome on the car. Im more concerned with what to do with the paint.

<o:p> </o:p>

I don’t think the paint needs much correction so I definitely wont need to use SSR, and since it is rarely driven and under a cover I don’t need really long lasting protection

What Should I do for Polishing? (I don’t mind doing things by hand)

Should I use the PC with the SHR and FMP, or should I go with SHR, and RP by hand?

What about Waxing? (BTW <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Americana</st1:place></st1:City> and BG is out of my price range right now)

Should I use the PC and MSW? Should I use BW by Hand? Or Should I Apply MSW and then BW by hand over the top of it?

Any Advice on the Vinyl Top? (Cleaning, Shining?)

Im afraid that SVRT will make it to shinny, and we have some stuff from another company that seems to have worked fine in the past

12 answers to this question

Something to keep in mind is whether or not the car has the original paint or not. I think that Chevelle is old enough to have come with a single stage paint rather than a base/clear. I've been told that the techniques are different for paint correction and care, though I wouldn't even begin to know what to do for single stage paint that needed anything more than wash/wax.

Maybe some of the experts will be along shortly to teach us....:xfingers:

BTW, nice ride. I had a '71 in that same color combo, but nowhere near as nice. What color is the interior?

well get a light either a spot or a halogen one and look for swirls always start with least aggressive first. I would start PC with white pad and FMP and see if your happy with results only do a small area also so you can see if there is any paint transfer if its original paint. if you do then I would do it by hand lol. also using some BG on everything will help it pop as well.

You can try SVRT on the vinyl top - apply in a small area for test, let it dry, then wipe it down with a MF to knock down the gloss a bit. You can also use MP #1&2 on the wheels and chrome to give it sparkle - that will help the overall look (when the chromey parts sparkle). If you had BG, that is ideal for chrome.

well get a light either a spot or a halogen one and look for swirls always start with least aggressive first. I would start PC with white pad and FMP and see if your happy with results only do a small area also so you can see if there is any paint transfer if its original paint. if you do then I would do it by hand lol. also using some BG on everything will help it pop as well.

:iagree:

Something to keep in mind is whether or not the car has the original paint or not. I think that Chevelle is old enough to have come with a single stage paint rather than a base/clear. I've been told that the techniques are different for paint correction and care, though I wouldn't even begin to know what to do for single stage paint that needed anything more than wash/wax.

Maybe some of the experts will be along shortly to teach us....:xfingers:

BTW, nice ride. I had a '71 in that same color combo, but nowhere near as nice. What color is the interior?

The whole car was repainted in 1999 or 2000 and it is a base/ clear just like modern cars so i should be able to use the PC just like i could on anything else.

It has the light green vinyl interior which a lot if it is original

Ok then you should be fine but still start with FMP do a small section if your not happy with it then step up to the SHR and orange pad. Again go over the same section and then follow immediatley with the FMP and check your results and go from there.

Ok Thanks Everyone

So I guess i will start with some FMP and see how i like it and go from there

I will also try some SVRT on the top and see how it looks

Now for Wax

What do you guys think will be a better wax for this car MSW or BW?

I understand that the MSW is brighter but the BW is deeper, so im not sure which will look the best

Ok Thanks Everyone

So I guess i will start with some FMP and see how i like it and go from there

I will also try some SVRT on the top and see how it looks

Now for Wax

What do you guys think will be a better wax for this car MSW or BW?

I understand that the MSW is brighter but the BW is deeper, so im not sure which will look the best

Post up pics when done! MSW will be more durable, but BW will do a fine job as well!

Given you have told us it has been repainted, your next step of action needs to be to treat it like any other newer vehicle.

SHR-FMP-BG-Wax.

SHR may or may not be needed. You have seen the car in person, not us! If you think the SVRT is to shine-y, then come back with a Micro Fiber towel over it.

Your call on the wax.

Archived