Customer Service 866.965.0400

Leaving detail Spray after claying

Fatboy93

Question

Hi all, been on this forum for a while but never posted so here goes! Do people leave detail spray residue on the car after claying, right before machine polishing? From the videos I've seen that Adam does but I've read somewhere that the Junkman removes it. Thoughts?

Come on Junkman, admiring the shine is time better spent than making the shine lol! And how does the clay residue mess up the pads? Isn't the clay residue just detail spray after all? I have a black 2010 Volkswagen polo (from the UK) and agree with Mook's comment about seeing the polish actually flash. The paint is harder than Mike Tyson's fist! So the more time spent polishing the better IMO

The clay residue that I'm talking about is actual pieces of the clay. Get that stuff in your pads one time and you'll figure out what I mean. Seeing the polish flash has nothing to do with what you're looking at before you actually polish something. After claying and washing for a second time, I inspect only the panel I'm about to work on. I look to see if there are any areas that will require more work (as in multiple agressive passes), and any areas that may require advanced work (as in wet sanding).

You cannot get a perfect assessment of what you're looking at when the panel is covered with dried up detail spray. That's why I ensure that the panel is perfectly clean. There is a method to my madness. I don't do anything for fluff or frills. Everything I do has a logical reason. You just read it.

The clay residue that I'm talking about is actual pieces of the clay. Get that stuff in your pads one time and you'll figure out what I mean. Seeing the polish flash has nothing to do with what you're looking at before you actually polish something. After claying and washing for a second time, I inspect only the panel I'm about to work on. I look to see if there are any areas that will require more work (as in multiple agressive passes), and any areas that may require advanced work (as in wet sanding).

You cannot get a perfect assessment of what you're looking at when the panel is covered with dried up detail spray. That's why I ensure that the panel is perfectly clean. There is a method to my madness. I don't do anything for fluff or frills. Everything I do has a logical reason. You just read it.

Message received! :lol:

Anyone in this thread watched AJ clay? He's BRUTAL!! lol

I agree with AJ though. The first time I did my correction I did it by the book of Adam. Now I clay while wet and add DS or a mixture of adams car shampoo to water in a spray bottle and clay the car RIGHT after washing and then rinse and rewash. There are positives and negatives to this way. I prefer it, but most do not.

Chris

I leave my DS on the car. Sometimes I've even left it sitting over night. It doesn't do any harm.

Theres so many ways to do it

1) clay an area and wipe off

2) clay entire care then wash

3) Clay and polish right over.

The ball is in your court. You decide what works best for you

Anyone in this thread watched AJ clay? He's BRUTAL!! lol

I am. I hate claying with a passion. I only want to do it once. When I check the paint, I don't want to have to do it again. I would rather cause light marring than have to clay a panel twice because light marring is easy to fix. I hate to clay and my ball and socket joints remind me why every time I do it.

In closing, allow me to say that I hate claying. :)

Come on Junkman, admiring the shine is time better spent than making the shine lol! And how does the clay residue mess up the pads? Isn't the clay residue just detail spray after all? I have a black 2010 Volkswagen polo (from the UK) and agree with Mook's comment about seeing the polish actually flash. The paint is harder than Mike Tyson's fist! So the more time spent polishing the better IMO

I have done both. It depends on what I'm doing. Either way works. Leaving it adds some oils to the process. For a complete correction, I'll remove it. For a quick shot on an area I'll leave it.

Either way your fine!

Chris

Done both as well. Mostly for time saving I've leaned toward leaving it knowing I"m doing a correction with at least SHR or SSR. If I'm just polishing I"ll usually give it another wash before going at it with the FMP.

Archived