Customer Service 866.965.0400

LIC wrecked my steering wheel

ElkyBryan

Question

Cleaned my interior on my 02 Mazda yesterday in between thunderstorms and when I used the LIC on my steering wheel it appears as if if it ate away the outer coating. It happened only on the area that is right by the drivers window so I assume the area was probably sun damaged to begain with. I'm a little bummed over it. But it is a older car and the steering wheels always seem to take the most abuse.

Also when I used the conditoner it left fom streaking. Is this normal. Did maybe put it on to thinck and not whipe it off quick enough?

7 answers to this question

are you spraying the cleaner directly on the wheel, or on a towel first? its best to spray it on the towel if you haven't already been doing that.

you really have to work the conditioner into the leather and plastic so it is absorbed. if you put too much on its as easy as just buffing it off with a towel. if you put too little on, it will look like you did nothing to the panel. just add more.

HI Bryan

Sorry to hear about your steering wheel, you are probably right about the sun damage. Can you take some pictures ? From the streaking you are talking about it sounds like the interior is really dried out and the surface is just soaking up the conditioner. This is normal and a second or even third application will usually solve that.

First of all....I am not putting any blame for what happened on Adam's products. I was just sharing what happened. I just bought the car about a month ago with a little over 100K on it. I knew the leather interior was bit beat when I got it. And yes the seats did drink up a lot of conditioner.

It still looks much better than before I cleaned it so I am happy with the results. I'll post a picture of the wheel......if it ever stops raining long enough to get one taken.

Oh....and yes I did spray the cleaner on the towel and not directly on the wheels surface. I did scrub pretty hard though.

Sometimes, what you're seeing is actually a clean spot rather than a ruined spot. Could be that the "damaged" area is the cleanest and the rest that looks bad is just really the dirt coming off, but not off yet, and needs more cleaning. Then once it's totally cleaned, treat it, treat it, treat it with conditioner.

If not, I agree with the Wheelskins. Best product of its type.

Check out Wheelskins. A good product when your steering wheel is looking its age. Always work out well for me.

Yup. Wheelskins are a quality product. Custom fit in every color under the sun. Pull TIGHT when installing. :thumbsup:

Archived