Customer Service 866.965.0400

Summer Detail #3: My Silverado SS

Diggerdan11

So I finally got a chance this weekend to detail my truck. I spent about 12 hours this weekend just trying to detail the exterior (I did not even touch the engine bay or interior).

Here is the story on my truck:

I have owned it for 5 years. It has never had any paint correction done to it and has never been polished. I have clayed it a couple times and waxed it many times. Over the past 2 ½ years it has been only washed in drive-thru car washes, and had only been waxed twice in that time (I just did not have time to detail it, or wash it properly).

My truck was covered in swirls and small scratches. It also has a couple larger scratches and paint chips, obviously something a PC cant fix. The rear quarter panels also had some weird gunky buildup on it. The paint has some bad orange peel going on as well.

First I scrubed the Wheels, Tires, Wheel Wells, and Exhaust tips with APC, Then I washed the car with Dawn, then I washed it again with Adams Car Wash Soap. It was difficult to wash do to the fact that I got a late start (1pm) and it was about 90* out side which is really hot for Southern Oregon. I then pulled it into the garage and clayed it. I was really happy the clay bar took all that gunk off the rear quarter panel (something that the Maguire’s clay bar would not do), and it got rid of all the bug guts. I used a combination of SVRT and In n Out Spray on some of the black plastic trim. I also sprayed my under carriage with USC. I then left for the day. The best part about taking 2 days to detail was I got to drive my dads M3 when my truck was parked.:burnout:

Sunday I got up early and began to do some paint correction. First I California dusted my truck then I sprayed it down with detail spray to make sure there was no dust on the truck. I then used my PC with SSR, SHR, and FMP. I spend quite a bit of time with each of the chemicals trying to make sure that I got all the swirls. Im starting to get the hang of the PC. I then Used MP2 on the Wheels and SVRT on the tires. I also sprayed and wiped down inside the doors with DS. I then Hit the truck with a coat of BG and a coat of (I was going to used MSW first but I knew I did not have the time to let it cure)

Here are some pics

Before:

IMG_1567.jpg

IMG_1569.jpg

Bad Swirls

IMG_1578.jpg

IMG_1586.jpg

Lots of rock chips, bug guts and tinny spots

IMG_1581.jpg

Quarter Panel Gunk

IMG_1592.jpg

<o:p></o:p>

After

<o:p></o:p>

IMG_1603.jpg

IMG_1606.jpg

IMG_1602.jpg

Shinny

IMG_1601.jpg

Much better but not perfect (stupid rock chips). This picture was taken early this morning hence the water condensation on the hood

2011-07-11_07-00-22_957.jpg

IMG_1597.jpg

IMG_1604.jpg

Dylan Pose: This shows the bad orange peel, but at least the swirls are gone

IMG_1598.jpg

Im fairly happy with the results. Its not perfect but looks much better. I think my next investment should be the 4” focus pads so I can try to get rid of some of the small scratches. Im hoping with some more work i can get it looking even better. I wish I could make the paint look much better, but in the end It is a truck, Its my daily driver, it is going to get rock chips in the winter, and bugs in the summer. To get my paint the way I really want it will require a 100% repaint and I will only drive the truck in the summer, but that’s not going to happen any time soon.

Yeah, those swirls were baaaaaaaad!!! You did a GREAT job though, that's a HUGE IMPROVEMENT!! And I think you'd be surprised how easy it is to KEEP a daily driver looking that good. It just takes good habits bro, that's all. Quit using automatic washes, and start doing two bucket washes, use a great white drying towel, detail spray every wash, and a coat of BG & Americana every few months. :)

Thanks everyone for the comments

Holy cow that swirls picture made me throw up a little!

Nice finish!

Yeah Me To, I really did not realize how bad they actually were till i decided to correct them:(

Yeah, those swirls were baaaaaaaad!!! You did a GREAT job though, that's a HUGE IMPROVEMENT!! And I think you'd be surprised how easy it is to KEEP a daily driver looking that good. It just takes good habits bro, that's all. Quit using automatic washes, and start doing two bucket washes, use a great white drying towel, detail spray every wash, and a coat of BG & Americana every few months. :)

Yeah im going to stop using tha auto car washes, and wash it my hand, even in the cold of the winter. Hopefully I can keep up with it and keep it looking this nice. I guess i will have to go over it with my PC every so often also.

My plan is to have my entire truck re painted one of these days. Its almost paid off but I plan on keeping it as my play toy. My fiance is planning on going back to finish school, so hopefully when she is finished in 2 years or so I can get it re painted and buy something else as for my DD

Archived