Customer Service 866.965.0400

Keeping new car smell?

bigaudiofanatic

Question

I am enjoying my new car smell, however I know that i will eventially have to scrub the seats down. I already did the dash and trim and notice my new car smeel went away for a few hours and slowly came back.

Should I let my interior suffer a little while I enjoy and try to keep it as clean as I can? Or is it better to scrub down everything once a month.

PS I have a lot of Alcantara.

12 answers to this question

Yep... 'New Car Smell' is a combination of fairly toxic things including formaldehyde, adhesive curing agents, solvents, plasticizers, and many other chemicals. Theres a big push to change all these things as they aren't toxic to adults in the concentrations they're found, but very toxic to children and infants.

The smell will go away whether you clean the interior or not, so enjoy it while you can, but don't get too hung up on keeping it.

Yep... 'New Car Smell' is a combination of fairly toxic things including formaldehyde, adhesive curing agents, solvents, plasticizers, and many other chemicals. Theres a big push to change all these things as they aren't toxic to adults in the concentrations they're found, but very toxic to children and infants.

The smell will go away whether you clean the interior or not, so enjoy it while you can, but don't get too hung up on keeping it.

Give us the fragrances from Adams! :P

Thank god my parents didn't get a new car every few years when I was little :willy:

Really, that must be my problem....

That New-Car Smell - the kinds of things you were happier not knowing about.

20100121_chevy-aveo-interior2_614mz

For many, the new-car smell is a bonus that comes with buying a new vehicle — an olfactory reward to enjoy each time the owner slides behind the wheel. That smell, however, also could make them — and their passengers — sick.

That's because the plastics and textiles used in vehicle interiors contain a number of harmful chemicals, including antimony, bromine, chlorine, and lead. Repeated and concentrated exposure to any of these chemicals may contribute to a variety of acute and long-term health issues such as birth defects, impaired learning, liver toxicity, and cancer.

Not only are vehicle occupants exposed to these chemicals by breathing, but frequent exposure to the sun's heat and ultraviolet light can increase interior levels of these chemicals and possibly exacerbate their toxicity.

When these conditions combine with the fact that the average American spends almost two hours in a car every day, the potential exists for vehicle interiors to become a major source of indoor air pollution.

Children, with their systems still developing, are most vulnerable to such exposure.

The visible evidence of chemicals being released into interiors is the film that sometimes appears on the inside of windshields. Known as "fogging," this phenomenon occurs when chemicals in the materials of the interior evaporate and then condense on the windshield or windows. This process happens over time, but accelerates in high temperatures.

LOL... yea... kind of stuff you wish you didn't know right?

The lead is a tad disturbing, but its low PPM so its not the most troublesome.

IMO the scary one is the almost 30,000 PPM bromine on the seats... this is an area you have a lot of contact with. Its likely used as a flame retardant from what I understand, but its also a key ingredient in pesticides. Doesn't seem like the kind of stuff you'd want in heavy concentration anywhere you'll be spending a lot of time.

Archived