Customer Service 866.965.0400

Introducing FedEx SmartPost Shipping!

Have you guys had a lot of trouble from the usps priority or flat rate mail? I haven't had much trouble with it myself

Dylan explained earlier that it wasn't the fault of the mail carrier, it was that customers would complain they weren't getting fast deliveries with a cheaper option. People wanted too much for a low price.

Dylan explained earlier that it wasn't the fault of the mail carrier, it was that customers would complain they weren't getting fast deliveries with a cheaper option. People wanted too much for a low price.

Exactly.

As a matter of fact last night I was running our loss analytics and for 2011 FedEx had a loss/damage rate of 0.87%... less than 1% of all our shipments last year were impacted by handling. Thats an exceptionally good clip they're going at. It can always be better, but a sub 1% rate is very good considering the volume of packages they take for us.

Just seemed that no matter how much verbage the site had people would still get heated and complain about the transit times. 5-7 business days can become long if you order after cut off on a friday b/c you lose the weekend, then if it makes it to the post office by that friday it doesn't move again, so "5-7 business days" is approaching 10 or 11 actual days in some circumstances. In other cases it gets there is 5 days and everything is copacetic.

We just try to make things as simple as they can be... and we were getting the vibe smartpost wasn't popular. Based on the response here its better received than what we had thought.

Edited by Dylan@Adams

• 4 months later...
don't get rid of smartpost... it is always good to have options. While it is occasionally a tad bit slower, the discounted shipping is much needed for this Adam's user

Can't agree with you on this one. Every time I've used Smartpost it always takes longer and cost is the same as FedEX ground, so I don't see any advantage at least for me.

Can't agree with you on this one. Every time I've used Smartpost it always takes longer and cost is the same as FedEX ground, so I don't see any advantage at least for me.

I have noticed if I use smart post to my house (residence), it is cheaper. But if I have stuff shipped to my office (business), it is the same as the regular FedEX ground.

The other issue I have is the USPS service where I live is terrible. I work at home quite a bit and will always receive a "sorry we missed you" in the mail box even though I am home. Thus I have to drive down to the PO and get the package. :mad:

• 2 weeks later...
I have noticed if I use smart post to my house (residence), it is cheaper. But if I have stuff shipped to my office (business), it is the same as the regular FedEX ground.

Thats because address verification is being done. If a package is shipped to a residence, FedEx charges less than if it is shipped to a business. Not sure why but those are FedEx (and UPS's) rules. So the address verification piece determines if its residential or commercial and updates the FedEx system. Then the appropriate FedEx charges are applied.

The other issue I have is the USPS service where I live is terrible. I work at home quite a bit and will always receive a "sorry we missed you" in the mail box even though I am home. Thus I have to drive down to the PO and get the package. :mad:

Thats because address verification is being done. If a package is shipped to a residence, FedEx charges less than if it is shipped to a business. Not sure why but those are FedEx (and UPS's) rules. So the address verification piece determines if its residential or commercial and updates the FedEx system. Then the appropriate FedEx charges are applied.

Here is the way it works, atleast with UPS and Iam sure FedEx is similar. UPS has what is called a closed loop billing system. Actually smart on their behalf. When a package is delivered and a signature is obtained, the DIAD (hand held computer) prompts the driver if this is a commercial or residential address. If the driver leaves a package at house for example the program automatically knows it is going to a residential address and doesn't ask. The delivery information then makes an electronic handshake so to speak with the information that the shipper input when shipping the package. This is why it is very important that the driver get the information right. What the driver inputs basically over rides what the shipper put as a far as a commercial and residential address. We used to get asked all the time, "is blah blah address a commercial or residential stop?" Iam sure they have this all figured out now for the most part. Never get asked this anymore. To qualify as a commercial stop you have to have an entrance where anybody off the street can walk in. Not just a business you run out of your house.

The reason behind charging more for residential deliveries as opposed to a commericial address is cost. They figure they are going to go to a business everyday regardless where as a residential address stop probably not. UPS and FedEx make their money when they can take 50 boxes and deliver them all to a commercial dock. Takes less time and is easy. Where as the average Joe might get one box to his house. Commercial stops is the business they both want and target.

Smartpost is cheaper for the simple fact UPS/FedEx can deliver 100 pieces to one location and let the post office finish the last leg being they go to every house every day. Instead of delivering 100 pieces to 100 different locations.

As far as the Post Office leaving a note in the mailbox, I have experienced this personally and the service is horrible. Now if they went to the door filled out a note and left it on the door, not in the mail box, I would believe an attempt was made. It is just too easy for them to just throw a note in the box and make you go pick it up. UPS and FedEx on the other hand, the driver goes back 3 times. So why would he/she sneek up to your door leave a note, knowing they will have to come back the following day?

• 4 weeks later...
Here is the way it works, atleast with UPS and Iam sure FedEx is similar. UPS has what is called a closed loop billing system. Actually smart on their behalf. When a package is delivered and a signature is obtained, the DIAD (hand held computer) prompts the driver if this is a commercial or residential address. If the driver leaves a package at house for example the program automatically knows it is going to a residential address and doesn't ask. The delivery information then makes an electronic handshake so to speak with the information that the shipper input when shipping the package. This is why it is very important that the driver get the information right. What the driver inputs basically over rides what the shipper put as a far as a commercial and residential address. We used to get asked all the time, "is blah blah address a commercial or residential stop?" Iam sure they have this all figured out now for the most part. Never get asked this anymore. To qualify as a commercial stop you have to have an entrance where anybody off the street can walk in. Not just a business you run out of your house.

The reason behind charging more for residential deliveries as opposed to a commericial address is cost. They figure they are going to go to a business everyday regardless where as a residential address stop probably not. UPS and FedEx make their money when they can take 50 boxes and deliver them all to a commercial dock. Takes less time and is easy. Where as the average Joe might get one box to his house. Commercial stops is the business they both want and target.

Smartpost is cheaper for the simple fact UPS/FedEx can deliver 100 pieces to one location and let the post office finish the last leg being they go to every house every day. Instead of delivering 100 pieces to 100 different locations.

As far as the Post Office leaving a note in the mailbox, I have experienced this personally and the service is horrible. Now if they went to the door filled out a note and left it on the door, not in the mail box, I would believe an attempt was made. It is just too easy for them to just throw a note in the box and make you go pick it up. UPS and FedEx on the other hand, the driver goes back 3 times. So why would he/she sneek up to your door leave a note, knowing they will have to come back the following day?

Excellent, well written explanation. Thanks for this post, I learned a lot.

This is why I'm very friendly with my USPS delivery person. It's usually the same lady and I always wave and talk to her, therefore, she usually goes out of her way to deliver stuff to my front door, even if it fits in the small locked box at my mailbox. :D