Customer Service 866.965.0400

Walk Now for Autism 2011

On November 12th this year, just 5 days after Tanner's 5th Birthday, we will be participating in the Orange County Walk Now for Autism. "Team Tanner" will be represented in full force with our entire family, all our friends, and even some of his teachers & ABA therapists who have been so important as he makes strides toward recovery.

Understanding that now, more than usual, money is tight for everyone I hesitate to even solicit donations. If you can donate, even a small amount, know that we truly appreciate your gesture and support. If you can't donate please share this info to raise awareness for the cause. The funds raised will go directly to Autism Speaks, the worlds largest Autism Awareness and Advocacy organization.

Donation Page for Team Tanner

*Walk now requires a $20 minimum, but anyone wanting to donate a smaller amount please contact me and I'll arrange a paypal donation with you of any amount you like

UPDATE:

Friends, we will match every nickel raised for Team Tanner, with an Adam's Gift Certificate, up to $3,000. With several families in our lives that live with and love Autistic children, my heart is motivated to help fund research.

Please forward your donation confirmation to: Orders@AdamsPolishes.com, and we'll send you a matching gift certificate within 48hrs.

Thanks for your help, and go Team Tanner!

:2thumbs:

<embed src="http://www.walknowforautismspeaks.org/gadgets/thermometer.swf" quality="high" wmode="transparent" width="220" height="220" name="flashthermometer" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" flashvars="datapath=http://www.walknowforautismspeaks.org/gadgets&curr=$&menucolor=0x4f91cd&menutitle=Walk Now for Autism Speaks - Donations&supid=0&eid=468689&tid=4239230"/><br /><a href="http://www.walknowforautismspeaks.org/faf/donorreg/donorpledge.asp?ievent=468689&supId=253512657" style="color:#ffffff;background-color:#4f91cd;width:150;text-align:center;font-family:arial;font-weight:bolder;text-decoration:none;margin-left:35" target="_blank">Click Here to Donate</a>

If any of you locally would like to join us on the 12th please shoot me a message to let me know. We'd love to have more people onboard to show support for this disorder that impacts 1 in every 110 children.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ChliJCUYbaQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Did you know....

• Autism now affects 1 in 110 children and 1 in 70 boys
  • Autism prevalence figures are growing
  • More children will be diagnosed with autism this year than with AIDS, diabetes & cancer combined
  • Autism is the fastest-growing serious developmental disability in the U.S.
  • Autism costs the nation over $35 billion per year, a figure expected to significantly increase in the next decade
  • Autism receives less than 5% of the research funding of many less prevalent childhood diseases
  • Boys are four times more likely than girls to have autism
  • There is no medical detection or cure for autism

Prevalence vs. Private Funding...

• Leukemia: Affects 1 in 1,200 / Funding: $277 million
  • Muscular Dystrophy: Affects 1 in 100,000 / Funding: $162 million
  • Pediatric AIDS: Affects 1 in 300 / Funding: $394 million
  • Juvenile Diabetes: Affects 1 in 500 / Funding: $156 million
  • Autism: Affects 1 in 110 / Funding: $79 million

National Institutes of Health Funds Allocation...

Total 2010 NIH budget: $35.6 billion. Of this, only $218 million went directly to autism research. This represents 0.6% of total NIH funding for the year.

With such little funding allocated to the research and understanding of Autism its up to us; Parents, friends, family, etc. to do what we can to fund what we hope is the research that will find a solution.

• 1 month later...

We're a month out from our walk... and I'd like to kick off some fund raising... I will personally pony up $100 towards an Adam's Gift Certificate. For every $5 donated your name will be entered in a drawing. As the pot grows so will the donation as I have commitments from others to help out with some goodies for winner.

Thanks for your support, Tanner, my wife, and I all appreciate it more than I can express.

Friends, we will match every nickel raised for Team Tanner, with an Adam's Gift Certificate, up to $3,000. With several families in our lives that live with and love Autistic children, my heart is motivated to help fund research.

Please forward your donation confirmation to: Orders@AdamsPolishes.com, and we'll send you a matching gift certificate within 48hrs.

P.S. Dylan's drawing will be in addition to your donations!

man, every day I love this company more and more. Adam, you are a true gentleman.

I think my family is going to Colorado for Christmas break and I think it would be awesome to meet you and the crew. Hopefully you'll be there.

We will be here, absolutely! Where are you staying Eric? Please come see us, and if I can take you and the family out for a deluxe lunch, that would be great! My direct office line is 720-473-7100, and our address is 4820 Sterling Drive, Boulder, CO 80301.

When you have a plan, and a potential set of available days, we can take you for a quick tour of the shop, then off to the Pizzeria Da Lupo for some deluxe, Napoli-style pizza pie!

P.S. Dylan's drawing will be in addition to your donations!

Bro... thats amazing and thank you. I just showed Amanda and your post brought tears to her eyes. We're truly lucky to count you as a friend. Thank you so much. :thumbsup:

I love that Adam's Members are so willing to help each other. We feel that we are becoming more of a family than a forum. :grouphug:

If you would also like to help Autism everyday you can click on this link. Simple as that! http://www.theautismsite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=11

My donation has been made and I hope you reach your goal and exceed it!! WTG Dylan!! :2thumbs:

Thanks everyone for your donations, kind words, and contributions thus far! We appreciate each and every penny you put towards the cause. Please pass along the message to friends and coworkers... you'd be surprised how many lives are impacted by autism, but they may never openly discuss it.

Donated!!

Im always happy to donate to what I think are great causes especially when it comes to Autism. My Nephew is Autistic so i know hoe difficult it can be and what a great cause it is:cheers:.

Also thank you Adam for watching penny for penny, it makes the feeling of donating that much better

Thanks Dan! Your donation is greatly appreciated!!

Something interesting was released today that relates -

Autistic children have distinct facial features, study suggests

111020-aldridge-hmed-315p.photoblog600.jpg

We may be a step closer in understanding what causes autism, say University of Missouri researchers after finding differences between the facial characteristics of children who have autism and those who don’t.

Kristina Aldridge, lead author and assistant professor of anatomy at the University of Missouri, began looking at facial characteristics of autistic children after another researcher, Judith Miles, professor emerita in the School of Medicine and the Thompson Center for Autism and Neurodevelopmental Disorders, mentioned, “There is just something about their faces. They are beautiful, but there is just something about them.”

“Children with other disorders such as Down syndrome and fetal alcohol syndrome have very distinct facial features. Autism is much less striking,” she says. “You can’t pick them out in a crowd of kids, but you can pick them out mathematically.”

When researchers took three-dimensional images of the children, they discovered autistic children have a broader upper face with wider eyes, a shorter middle region of the face including the cheeks and nose and a broader or wider mouth and philtrum -- the area below the nose and above the top lip.

Aldridge analyzed 64 boys with autism and 41 typically developing boys ages 8 to 12 using the 3-D images of each boys’ head. She also mapped out 17 points on the face, such as the corner of the eye and the divot in the upper lip. When the overall geometry of the face was calculated and the two groups were compared, she noticed statistical differences in autistic children’s faces.

Researchers also noticed even more differences in a smaller group of autistic children.

“They showed differences in clinical and behavioral traits as well,” she says. “That would tell us about multiple causes of autism.”

Aldridge says the images provide a clue to what happens in the embryo during the middle of the first trimester of pregnancy when the face begins to develop. It may help researchers understand if something environmentally or genetically is happening in the uterus during pregnancy that causes autism.

“This is clear support that the cause of autism is likely happening before birth,” Aldridge says. “This allows us to start looking at those hypotheses more directly.

Archived