Customer Service 866.965.0400

Americana Cracking in the Tub

Z71_Denali

Question

i was out late last night buffing out a scuff in the front of my wife's SRX. she claims a blue bucket popped out of nowhere and she hit it... i think she was texting while driving!

for the record, i have revived my faith in SHR and RP applied by hand with the hex grip applicators!!! got the scuff out no problemo! :bow:

(no pics (white car with a white scuff) i could barely see it to begin with! (thats why we drive white cars daily)) :jester:

anyways, back to my topic at hand...

when i went to apply a coat of APW after polishing out the scratch i noticed the wax in my tub was cracking in the middle. it seems over the past year i've owned it, i've worn through the middle and left a lot of wax on the sides of the tub. :willy:

is there any way to try and "move" some of this wax from the sides, back to the middle safely and fill in those cracks? i'm thinking the best way to do this is melt it somehow and let gravity do the work. :xfingers:

what do you guys think??? i'd hate to be wasteful with a premium wax!

(i love parentheses)

Edited by 2010TexasEdition

If you can heat it up without warping the tub so the wax goes soft then allow it to cool it should reset itself. The other option is to just break out those chunks, and wipe them onto the app vs. wiping the app on them. Not an elegant method to apply, but works just the same.

alright, so as long as it's safe to melt! that stinky scentsy of my wife's might come in handy!!! i'll try it out with a small piece tonight and update this later!

alright here we go...

i first cut a small sliver around the perimeter of the tub. here is what it looks like before adding the melted wax:

43a7b51e.jpg

here's the wax before melting it in my wife's Scentsy

9cf18518.jpg

i left for a quick 15 minute jog around the block and this is what i came back to. half way melted:

40f086b2.jpg

after another 20 minutes or so, it was completely melted. FYI it melts clear!

i poured the melted wax back in the tub, mixed it around, forming some of the solid pieces that softened up from sitting in my warm garage for awhile. i then cut a little bit more around the edges and melted that. after it was melted i poured it in the center, let it solidify to the consistency of the rest of the wax, and then spread all of it around with a small spatula like icing on a cake! here is the end result!

65d7e8f4.jpg

i think it worked really good. please note i slowly melted it above a hot halogen light bulb. no open flame and definitely no microwave was used! i think you might get the same, but faster results with a toaster oven set on LOW in a small Pyrex or Corning-Ware dish.

alright here we go...

i first cut a small sliver around the perimeter of the tub. here is what it looks like before adding the melted wax:

43a7b51e.jpg

here's the wax before melting it in my wife's Scentsy

9cf18518.jpg

i left for a quick 15 minute jog around the block and this is what i came back to. half way melted:

40f086b2.jpg

after another 20 minutes or so, it was completely melted. FYI it melts clear!

i poured the melted wax back in the tub, mixed it around, forming some of the solid pieces that softened up from sitting in my warm garage for awhile. i then cut a little bit more around the edges and melted that. after it was melted i poured it in the center, let it solidify to the consistency of the rest of the wax, and then spread all of it around with a small spatula like icing on a cake! here is the end result!

65d7e8f4.jpg

i think it worked really good. please note i slowly melted it above a hot halogen light bulb. no open flame and definitely no microwave was used! i think you might get the same, but faster results with a toaster oven set on LOW in a small Pyrex or Corning-Ware dish.

Not to mention the lovely smell it left

I'm on board with the air fresheners, something long lasting, not too overpowering, kinda neutral scent. I'm in, I always wish the smell after cleaning the interior would last, something similar to that scent. I realize its kinda off the normal path of detailing products that adams normally focuses on, but it would be cool to match the cleaning products smell. kinda like when you buy body wash, and then want the cologne and aftershave to blend well with that scent! lol

That's great man!

If she will let you, keep it in the fridge from now on LOL!

Mook

why is that? will it harden it up more? today i felt it, it was the consistency of cold, hard butter, but not as hard as the day i bought it. its seen its fair share of hot summer days while i apply it to the cars.

If you can heat it up without warping the tub so the wax goes soft then allow it to cool it should reset itself. The other option is to just break out those chunks, and wipe them onto the app vs. wiping the app on them. Not an elegant method to apply, but works just the same.

Dylan, when I bought my Ameicana from a local dealer, it has a couple of cracks on the middl (wax not the container). So, I got a saucepan and filled it up with water, about half the height of the jar, and heated up the water on med-low. I let the wax melt enough until the cracks are completely covered. Let it sit and dry.

Did I hurt this wax whatsoever?

Mine's had cracks in it dang near since I got it which was when it was first released and the cracks never hurt a thing. Cracks on a full tub IMO isn't a big deal.

Since it's heated to begin with, I can't see where heating it until it's JUST melted can hurt. I'm sure over heating it is VERY bad though.

Chris

Mine's had cracks in it dang near since I got it which was when it was first released and the cracks never hurt a thing. Cracks on a full tub IMO isn't a big deal.

Since it's heated to begin with, I can't see where heating it until it's JUST melted can hurt. I'm sure over heating it is VERY bad though.

Chris

yup i just checked my order history. i've had mine since 7/20/2010 and its sitting in the fridge with enough wax for at least 2 or 3 more applications. this tub sure does last forever when you only have a couple cars to use it on!