Customer Service 866.965.0400

ran out of spray while claying. OK to use water?

smokemeister25

Question

:help:

i was out claying my hood and ran out of detail spray. first off... i admit i wasn't using adams products. i was using an old kit of clay magic i had. yes, i do have all the adams stuff, but this was my first attempt at using my new PC and products and i was trying them out on my car that has the oldest and worst shape paint to see how bad i screwed up. but the clay magic kit was in good shape so i tried it. but i ran out of the detail spray so i just used some water. i wondered if that's a horrible idea and screwed the paint up or it it works ok? i wouldn't imagine they want us to use detail spray which costs money if good old H20 does the same thing. waters hard and the detail spray has better lubricants in it. but thought i'd ask how bad of a thing i did by just lubricating the clay and keeping the surface of the car wet with the water.

does anybody else just use water to lubricate the clay and surface when claying? the other night when it was raining i went out and ran some clay over the fender in the rain and didn't need a spray bottle or a hose... :D

:burnout:

21 answers to this question

the effectiveness of spit correlates directly on what kind of liquid libations were drunk by the claymaster within 24 hours of when the claying begins...

rum and vodka are always a good mid-level thing to drink and turn spit and snot into an effective lubricant. having allergys and being able to spit and have a runny nose is at least as good as turtle wax's discount detailer...

so drink up boys....:cheers:

just remember WASSER in a no no.... H2O is :banned:

We can't stand behind a product we don't sell anymore. Common sense says that's not good for business. I don't know how many times it's been said on this forum, but having a foam gun is nice but not needed to achieve a perfect, two bucket wash. The hydrofoamer does have adjustable parts you can place inside and change out, but I found it's perfect right out of the box from either Grabiak or Thompson.

Personally, when I use mine, I fill the thing up with water to the neck, add 3 oz. of Car Shampoo, slosh it around to mix the shampoo and water, and shoot a decent amount of suds all over the paint.

I have tried both, and personally, I prefer the Hydrofoamer. Really though, you should concentrate on getting your wash technique perfect, as that right there will eliminate the potential for inducing damage to your paint every time you get the buckets out.

Mook

does the adams adjust the foam output? if it's not adjustable, does it put out an amount of foam comparable to a gilmour on full foam or half foam or what? is it made out of completely plastic or partially brass? i know adams doesn't sell it anymore... but if you have a problem with it will adams still stand behind it or are you left in left field or at the mercy of whoever you buy it from? adam has certainly gone above and beyond to let everyone know he's not involved with these anymore so who's backing it if anyone is? heck, for that fact maybe gilmour doesn't back theirs either if it doesn't work. i don't exect much for 40 bucks anyway, but i would hope it works at least right out of he box. does it come with a quick disconnect or do you need to order that extra? you can buy one of the partially brass gilmour adjustables off amazon for about 40 including shipping.... the all plastic adjustable model is even less. so is the adams really worth twice as much and why?

well... you asked if i had any questions... :lolsmack: you wouldn't think there would even BE that many questions about a dumb little thing that just squirts foam...:)

seriously, i've never even seen a video of an adams working or a good close up still picture. if it's really worth twice as much as an adjustable, partially brass gilmour, then great. i'm using it on the same hose as my new adams fire hose nozzle and cutoff valve so it's not completely an issue of money. but if i'm gonna buy one i'd like to think i'm getting a good one and a decent value for my buck. i'm hoping to be able to use the firemans nozzle and have some decent pressure and then along with the foam gun not have to drag out my troybilt 3000 psi pressure washer to do a wash everytime. yes... i know a foam gun doesn't have as much pressure as my little foam cannon, but i'm hoping it'll put down a little thicker foam and a little more of it if i want. so if the adams is the ''cats pajamas'' then great, i'll get one. but i'd like to know what i'm gettin and i think the adams probably isn't adjustable and would think that having one that is would be a nice feature. if it's fixed and pours out foam at an unbelieveable rate then these things can already be nicknamed ''soap guzzler'' i'm not sure i'd like that anymore than not making enough. so being adjustable would seem like a really good feature. i buy the car wash soap by the gallon but don't want to buy it by the 5 gallon size to have enough to be able to wash 5 or 6 cars. heck, do we REALLY even need anything more than a hose with a couple of buckets with a grit guard and a wash mitt anyway :rolleyes:

i can't believe there's no videos around on youtube or somewhere of an adams close up and at work? again, remember.... i've never used or even seen any of these things at work so for all i know the adams is worth 10 gilmours... i'd just like to know why? quality of materials, much better built, what... ??? one thing i've heard is these things get clogged up and don't work when they do. so is one easier to clean than the other? so like i said, what makes it worth twice as much and being that adams doesn't even sell it anymore if it doesn't work well or breaks who stands behind it? i wish someone on the forum had both and could chime in and give their opinion or post a little video...

i heard that the old adams was the same as the hydrofoam brand? then someone else said that it was made by gilmour. are they the same company?

The most recent version of the Adam's Foam Gun did not have an adjustable nozzle. It was similar to the Hydrofoamer, the previous one was similar to the Gilmour.

I use mine when my black truck has not been washed for a while or when it is pollen season. It is not a required detailing tool, but very nice to have if you have a dark vehicle.

Here is a post Mario did a while back using the Foam Gun - http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/detailers-write-ups/8350.htm. I think there were some vidoe's available, but since they no longer sell this gun through the online store they are no longer up.

does the adams adjust the foam output? if it's not adjustable, does it put out an amount of foam comparable to a gilmour on full foam or half foam or what? is it made out of completely plastic or partially brass? i know adams doesn't sell it anymore... but if you have a problem with it will adams still stand behind it or are you left in left field or at the mercy of whoever you buy it from? adam has certainly gone above and beyond to let everyone know he's not involved with these anymore so who's backing it if anyone is? heck, for that fact maybe gilmour doesn't back theirs either if it doesn't work. i don't exect much for 40 bucks anyway, but i would hope it works at least right out of he box. does it come with a quick disconnect or do you need to order that extra? you can buy one of the partially brass gilmour adjustables off amazon for about 40 including shipping.... the all plastic adjustable model is even less. so is the adams really worth twice as much and why?

well... you asked if i had any questions... :lolsmack: you wouldn't think there would even BE that many questions about a dumb little thing that just squirts foam...:)

seriously, i've never even seen a video of an adams working or a good close up still picture. if it's really worth twice as much as an adjustable, partially brass gilmour, then great. i'm using it on the same hose as my new adams fire hose nozzle and cutoff valve so it's not completely an issue of money. but if i'm gonna buy one i'd like to think i'm getting a good one and a decent value for my buck. i'm hoping to be able to use the firemans nozzle and have some decent pressure and then along with the foam gun not have to drag out my troybilt 3000 psi pressure washer to do a wash everytime. yes... i know a foam gun doesn't have as much pressure as my little foam cannon, but i'm hoping it'll put down a little thicker foam and a little more of it if i want. so if the adams is the ''cats pajamas'' then great, i'll get one. but i'd like to know what i'm gettin and i think the adams probably isn't adjustable and would think that having one that is would be a nice feature. if it's fixed and pours out foam at an unbelieveable rate then these things can already be nicknamed ''soap guzzler'' i'm not sure i'd like that anymore than not making enough. so being adjustable would seem like a really good feature. i buy the car wash soap by the gallon but don't want to buy it by the 5 gallon size to have enough to be able to wash 5 or 6 cars. heck, do we REALLY even need anything more than a hose with a couple of buckets with a grit guard and a wash mitt anyway :rolleyes:

i can't believe there's no videos around on youtube or somewhere of an adams close up and at work? again, remember.... i've never used or even seen any of these things at work so for all i know the adams is worth 10 gilmours... i'd just like to know why? quality of materials, much better built, what... ??? one thing i've heard is these things get clogged up and don't work when they do. so is one easier to clean than the other? so like i said, what makes it worth twice as much and being that adams doesn't even sell it anymore if it doesn't work well or breaks who stands behind it? i wish someone on the forum had both and could chime in and give their opinion or post a little video...

i heard that the old adams was the same as the hydrofoam brand? then someone else said that it was made by gilmour. are they the same company?

yep... i got it. no agua... never again. i promise. :patriot:

lo giuro... (in italian that means... ''i swear..."

i have lots of new stuff. two bottles of spray detailer, a gallon and a half of car shampoo. i just ordered a gallon of waterless wash. but never again will i get my lube from the tap.

and no more claying in a rainstorm cause i think i can save a buck with rain water.

so when i find out the answers to questions i sent dylan about the old adams foam gun when he comes to work next week i'll be good to go. but todays first foray into orbital buffing went well. :bow: paint is on the bad side anyway(as in VERY bad side) and black but there were a lot less swirls than when i started. and there's actually still some clearcoat AND paint left on the car after i was done buffing... i'm not sure if i used enough product to buff with or if i used too much. i did remember that i forgot to put a little detailer moisture on the pad so maybe that's why it seemed so dry and it wasn't from too little or too much.

but i'm trying.... i'm learning.... :iagree: water is :banned:

A. Please watch our Vol. 7 DVD a couple more times.

B. Please do not use water to lube your clay...that is asking for what has already been said.

C. If you are in a pinch, WW or even Glass Cleaner, but never water!

Mook

i don't have any waterless. i do have a gallon of spray detailer and know it's the better choice. but i wondered just how bad using plain old H2O was on the paint? i'm thinkin the detailer has lubricants in it to make the clay glide more over the surface, but didn't know if it actually would cause any damage. i used a LOT of water with the clay. once i get my technique a little more perfected i'll break out my new adams clay and spray and do it the better way. and by ''perfect'' my technique i mean i actually ''get'' a little bit of one. i'm a total newbie at this stuff. but i'm trying to learn and asking dumb questions is part of it.

i'm sure this is a dumb question but i wondered if anybody else who actually knows what they're doing ever does it with water. like i said, i'm a total newb. i'm still trying to figure out what the best equipment and supplies are to use and make the paint corrected...... not NEED corrected even more when i'm done...

but it was kinda fun seein how much better it looked when i was done with the buffer. was my first ever attempt at buffering.. :pc: i wondered if i need to order the stronger swirl and haze or just use the normal longer or use more of it on the pad?

Water is a very poor lubricant for your application so I would refrain from using it as, because of its poor lubrication qualities, may create scratches and the claybar to harden up and [possibly] break apart in a "crumbling" kind of way.

I speak from experience.

I would drop into your local car-care box store and purchase a [credible] brand detailing spray. There are more than a couple of very good quality detailing sprays available over the counter.

Also

Another way to go is to mix some of our car wash in a spray bottle with water... the problem is trying to find the right amount so you get the right amount of lubrication. Too slick and the clay won't work effectively, not slick enough and the clay drags and can cause marring.

Archived