Customer Service 866.965.0400

Leather Conditioner tips? Looks Splotchy

Sandalwood

Question

9 answers to this question

Did you clean with the leather and interior cleaner diluted 50/50 first? I found that that helped me a lot. followed up the the conditioner on the interior red microfiber. I also found that a little product goes quite a ways

That's what I would do, it will clean off any products that may have been applied in the past. You can also spray a MF with some DS and wipe it down with that to see if it smooths it out.

A lot of times if it's your first time applying, I found that it could be "drinking" up the conditioner. My dash does that if I don't keep her well conditioned ....thus splotching up the interior. I'd apply another coat and see if that helps.

:)

I had the same problem and even started a thread some time ago with pics and everything. I started using the red applicator pad and it worked great. My technique is to wipe down with the cleaner and then apply 2 coats about a day apart. Then on the 3rd day I wipe it even with a MF and it looks great. To be honest it usually needs another coat in 3-4 weeks whether I drive it or not, but it looks and smells fantastic

A couple of things come to mind:

1) Did you clean everything first with leather & Interior cleaner? Old product and sometimes just residues from new car manufacturing react to conditioner and cause issues. Cut the cleaner 1:1 or more for new or barely dirty interiors.

2) Have you ever conditioned the areas before? Like Brandi mentioned, the first time some cars will suck the stuff up in certain areas and leave it uneven. A second heavy application followed by a dry towel will even it out.

3) Whats the weather like? Heat/Humidity play a large role in how things react to a treatment.

I've had similar blotchy issues with my black Mustang interior. It seems the Leather Conditioner LOVES leather, but doesn't like my recycled rubber dash and vinyl interior parts including plastic door panels and dash. Leather is a natural product and can be conditioned with conditioners, oils, etc. Plastic and vinyl on the other hand is another story. Some folks have suggested I try the Adam's exterior trim VRT, but I don't like that gloss look in my interior. I'm struggling with this too and looking for answers. Areas on my door which I have contact with like door handle and door panel where I rest my arm end up dull after touching these areas a couple times. I've had no issues however with the Interior Cleaner however which works like magic even at a 1:1 ratio. I wish Adam's would come out with a non-gloss plastic interior product that cleans AND protects in one step. ;)

When I've detailed people's interiors and I'm putting on the first coat of conditioner I always tell people to come see me a week later so I can apply a second coat because like many before mentioned, some new interiors "drink up" the conditioner.

A lot of times if it's your first time applying, I found that it could be "drinking" up the conditioner. My dash does that if I don't keep her well conditioned ....thus splotching up the interior. I'd apply another coat and see if that helps.

:)

Ditto!

Also, someone noted that applying conditioner and letting the car sit outside with the windows up helps it to soak in.

Archived