Customer Service 866.965.0400

Worked on my son's 350z over the weekend...

jdeuel

Spent a few hours with the :pc: on my 17 year old's 2005 350z last weekend. Started with a wash/dry, then SHR, followed by FMP, and then Buttery Wax. Undercarriage spray on the fender wells and a little glass polish rounded things out... Weird thing happened with the FMP-the white pad seemed like it was full of wax at one point, leaving a hazy film on the car. I ended up washing after the FMB with Dawn, and the gunk came off. Anyway, the car came out pretty nice :banana:photo-1.jpg

FMP can be a tad finnicky sometimes. If you use too much, or work it too long, it can do what you described. I'd advise to use a bit less product, and work it a little shorter time. Also maybe change to a fresh pad about 3/4 the way through the car, even though it's not recommended. :)

I'll give that a try next time. It was bloody hot the day I did the car, and I may have gone a little heavy on the product to keep the pad wet... Thanks!

If the produc/pad is drying out, give the pad a spray of DS now and then to keep it moist and working. It only takes 3 pea sized drops on the pad per 2'x2' area (max) to get great results. I sometimes do an area, then give the pad a spray with DS, then rework the area again. I give the pad a spray with DS every time I add product to a pad.

Looks like you got it all worked out! Looking good!

If you get this again, (after the FMP pass), try giving the cloudy area a spray of DS and then wipe it down and see if that cleans it up.

If the produc/pad is drying out, give the pad a spray of DS now and then to keep it moist and working. It only takes 3 pea sized drops on the pad per 2'x2' area (max) to get great results. I sometimes do an area, then give the pad a spray with DS, then rework the area again. I give the pad a spray with DS every time I add product to a pad.

Looks like you got it all worked out! Looking good!

If you get this again, (after the FMP pass), try giving the cloudy area a spray of DS and then wipe it down and see if that cleans it up.

You know-it sounds like I was using way too much FMP. I was making a pretty heavy 'X' of product on the pad. And DS wouldn't touch this-it looked like someone rubbed down the car with Crisco. Dawn sure did the trick, though!

You might initially use an X across the pad, but only once. After that, 3 pea sized drops are plenty.

It sounds weird, but in this case, you only need to use a little FMP, because the pad also does a bit of the work, so not using too much product lets the pad do it's part. If you clog the pad up, it works worse and more slowly - it seems backwards, but that is how it is - both pad and polish do some of the work.

This is also very true with the SHR - if you are seeing orange chunks of product coming off the pad, the pad is clogged. (ask me how I know :) ) If so, stop adding product, and just use a spray of DS on the pad and keep working. This repeated application of DS for each new area will gradually unload the pad of the extra SHR, and will speed up the correction. If you are seeing fine orange dust, give the pad a squirt of DS and keep going, as the pad is a little dry.

In your case, there might have been some other old product on the finish before you got started, too. Not sure exactly what steps you used.

For me, first time out would get:

Strip wash with Dawn (gets rid of Everything on the finish) or

wash, dry, 50/50 90%IPA/Distilled water wipedown

Clay

Wash and dry again (if you are being rigorous)

SHR if needed

FMP

Wax or sealant of your choice

Sounds like you have it in good shape now, though.

Just a couple things-cold air intake and aftermarket upper plenum. That's a carbon fiber outside air duct. Not sure if it adds any performance, but the intake sound is louder and my son likes it!

gotcha gotcha cool i like it too. this is the best though, dont let the car turn into this:

Spent a few hours with the :pc: on my 17 year old's 2005 350z last weekend. Started with a wash/dry, then SHR, followed by FMP, and then Buttery Wax. Undercarriage spray on the fender wells and a little glass polish rounded things out... Weird thing happened with the FMP-the white pad seemed like it was full of wax at one point, leaving a hazy film on the car. I ended up washing after the FMB with Dawn, and the gunk came off. Anyway, the car came out pretty nice :banana:photo-1.jpg

Absolutely fantastic looking :2thumbs:

Cool....I had a.cold air.intake on my old 350z....it sold with the car and the dude who bought it was jumping up and down. Lol....

Car.looks awesome! The 370's have had probs with the paint and thin clear coat....lucky to have that 350 which have no paint issues that I heard of. Pretty nice ride and you did a superb job!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OK...I haven't admitted this yet on the Forum but guess what I bought...

350Z.jpg

Does your son's car have the orange interior?

He's got a black interior with orange stitching. Such a fun car to drive! I gave him a track day at Laguna Seca for his birthday last year' date=' and he used some of the GoPro footage to make a video for a project-check out the shine on the hood:

!

Looks great.

Have you done some type of picture correction [fix] thru a programe like Paint or the like?

Love to see the original picture if you have.

My son said he used a polarizer effect for the photo-here's the original: photo-4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived