Customer Service 866.965.0400

Rotary Polisher

matts88yj

Question

Hi all. While I'm somewhat new here to the forums I have been detailing since 2003 and was curious what some of you think about rotary polishers. Now before you say they are the devil I worked at a Mercedes dealership for several years and was taught by my boss at the time, who has over 20 years of detailing experience, how to properly use a rotary polisher. Since then and just a month ago when I discovered Adam's products, I have been doing detailing on the side and using my rotary polisher on all of them for all of the machine polishing. The paint has been coming out absolutely beautiful on all of the vehicles that I have done and not a single person has a complaint about my work. Now I'm wanting to take my detailing a step or two further and wanted to get some thoughts from other forum members.

Do you think it is overkill to say first start with the rotary polisher, followed up by the PC and then topped off with some Americana? Am I wasting my time with the rotary polisher? Should I make a decorative tool ornament out of the rotary polisher? Okay well not really that last one but I'm sure you know what I'm getting at!:lolsmack: I have used a PC before but never invested in one just yet. I didn't know if I would be wasting my time using the rotary style polisher or if a combination of the two would make the results even more spectacular than the FLEX/PC combo.

Any and all insight is greatly appreciated! :cheers:

7 answers to this question

Very often I will use a rotary for the first pass of polish, but it depends on the car and condition/severity of what I'm doing. That will get followed up by a lighter polish on a PC, then a sealer with the PC at a lower speed, and finally wax by hand.

The only issue that most folks will run into is applying a final polish with a rotary. It's very easy to introduce holograms. Adjusting the speed and pressure usually helps, but I like using the PC for the final polish step.

You'll really like the PC for applying sealers and waxes as it makes that phase go super fast. A PC is cheap in comparison and it's a good tool to have on hand. I actually have two and keep the small backing plate on one and a large backing plate on the other. I can't convince myslef to get a Flex although I'd love to have one. My fear is that it'd sit on the shelf jealous of the Makita getting all the use!

Use the flat Flex pads with the rotary.

- Darryl

Very often I will use a rotary for the first pass of polish, but it depends on the car and condition/severity of what I'm doing. That will get followed up by a lighter polish on a PC, then a sealer with the PC at a lower speed, and finally wax by hand.

The only issue that most folks will run into is applying a final polish with a rotary. It's very easy to introduce holograms. Adjusting the speed and pressure usually helps, but I like using the PC for the final polish step.

You'll really like the PC for applying sealers and waxes as it makes that phase go super fast. A PC is cheap in comparison and it's a good tool to have on hand. I actually have two and keep the small backing plate on one and a large backing plate on the other. I can't convince myslef to get a Flex although I'd love to have one. My fear is that it'd sit on the shelf jealous of the Makita getting all the use!

Use the flat Flex pads with the rotary.

- Darryl

Ditto Darryl. A rotary in trained hands can do a fine job. If the correct grades of polish are used with the proper pads holograms are to the point of nill.

That being said. On abused paint I'll also start with a pass or two using the rotary and finish with the PC. This way I know there are no holograms. I too haven't stepped up to the Flex, perhaps this winter, we'll see.

Thank you for the replies and insight everyone! So I take it that on my two vehicles, which are well taken care of, I wouldn't need to use the rotary on the first pass since the paint is not in that bad of condition? I want to maximize my time spent on a vehicle and not waste any additional products than what I need.

Looks like I'll be ordering that PC kit soon! I'll also pick up the flat flex pads for the rotary and give it a whirl. Hmm wonder if Eric will have these goodies for the clinic in October! :D

Thank you again for everyone's help!

Matt, if the vehicles are in good shape the PC will be just fine. My rotary only comes out for nasty paint anymore.

Thank you Dave! I really appreciate your help!

:iagree:Matt, I'm sure that Eric will have just about anything your little heart desires, Adams-wise... :thumbsup:

Is it bad I already wrote him about a pre-order for the clinic? I swear this stuff is addicting! I can't wait to get the PC working on the G8 and customer cars. They haven't seen anything as far as detailing goes yet :D

Now if I could figure out if Eric can get me the winning power ball ticket... :lolsmack:

Archived