Customer Service 866.965.0400

1st Detail - Need to remove spray paint

Black Si

Question

Noob to detailing but not to online forums.

I have a black car that I keep clean, but has tons of swirl marks, tree sap, and bug guts all over it. Research led me to Adam's Polishes, and just bought polish and clay bar kit that I plan to use this weekend (I've watched the videos a few times each).

One area of my car has a frisbee size area of spray paint. Don't ask how it got there. It's very thin but obviously you can notice it if you look. I know it's going to really stand out if I detail my car and don't take care of this spot first...

How can remove this spray paint? I don't think the clay bar will get it, but would the heavy polishing pad? Do I need to wet sand?

That was my main question, on to some others:

I plan on claying the car, then doing what I need to do to remove swirls and light scratches with the PC, and finally seal it with MSS. I don't know if I'm going to go with wax or glaze on top of that yet, depends how much time I have left.

In the videos, all the PC work is done on an easy area like the hood. What about tighter areas like the front bumper? Do you still use the PC on there? Can you use the PC on tail lights and headlamps? I am under the impression that I should remove swirls over any painted surface that has them, even the roof, then finish every painted area with MSS. Do I need to make sure none of this gets on glass or trim?

Thanks for any replies, glad I came across this site and products. I was so close to buying a clay bar kit and some spray wax at the autoparts store, not knowing much about any of this.

8 answers to this question

On the spray-paint clay might work... have to try it to see. Just depends on how much there is and how well its bonded with the paint.

For the tight sections of the car around the bumpers and whatnot you can polish by hand or swap over to the 4" pad kit:

Porter Cable Polishing with 4" focus pads

You'll want to avoid hitting badges, trim, etc. so either steer clear of the edges of panels or tape off everything using standard blue or green 3M painters tape.

i am just about done with my black 370z it was my first detail also. i washed clayed polished and today put on machine super sealent and wiped that off after the appropriate wait. an now waiting 24 hours to brilliant glaze and americana. when i am done tomorrw will post pics. the car is jawdropping. however i will tell you this. if you want to get it perfect take your time i got this car perfect and it was full of swirls, but it has taken me 10 days between 6 and 8 hours a day, so if your going for perfect you better plan on taking more than the weekend. it was well worth it though.

i am just about done with my black 370z it was my first detail also. i washed clayed polished and today put on machine super sealent and wiped that off after the appropriate wait. an now waiting 24 hours to brilliant glaze and americana. when i am done tomorrw will post pics. the car is jawdropping. however i will tell you this. if you want to get it perfect take your time i got this car perfect and it was full of swirls, but it has taken me 10 days between 6 and 8 hours a day, so if your going for perfect you better plan on taking more than the weekend. it was well worth it though.

Wow, really? That long? That scares me a little. I was hoping to finish it all in a day (10 hours with a few breaks). My problem is I live in an apartment, so no water and probably can't PC in the parking lot. Although I have an extension cord that I bet would reach but that's not ideal. So I am driving to my parents house 1.5 hrs away to do all this.

Wish I knew how to properly wash when I got my car a year ago. I used one bucket and applied a ton of pressure to the sponge going in circles. Hello swirls. I noticed them the first time after I washed my car and didn't even realize what they were from.

Thanks for the help everyone so far. I really hope the clay takes out the spray paint.

edit: By the way, I have been seriously thinking about a 370z for my next car. I read the 370z forums quite a bit which is where I discovered Adam's.

if your not obsessive compulsive and dont want to get every little scratch out it wont take you that long, seem'd like every time i had them out, i started looking harder and found more that were nearly invisible. so i'd say a few swear words and get them out and thend find more lol.

Archived