Customer Service 866.965.0400

Claybar advice

smokemeister25

Question

i have to work outside. no garage.... i spray detail and wipe clean and then claybar. do i need to wash the claybar stuff off first or can i just go straight to swirl and haze or machine polish with my PC without cleaning off the claybar residue? i sometimes claybar at night and then buff the next day. i usually spray detail first when i do that. of course i'm not talking about going over a dirty car, just taking off the light dust. hate to go to the trouble of wash and dry just to make it dirty with compound again.

should i be using waterless wash instead of detail? i'm not talking about doing this on a dirty car thats been driven around. just working on one that was clean and sat overnight in the driveway

thanks

4 answers to this question

If working outside your circumstances are a little different, any breeze is kicking stuff up and theres gonna be a far greater chance of contamination landing on the finish. Then of course with the lube on there its going to stick.

In your circumstances I'd do a quick wash after claying, then dry, then move to polishing/waxing.

If the car sits overnight DEFINITELY do a full wash after claying.

i'm a little confused on your wording here: "i spray detail and wipe clean and then claybar"

are you saying there is no DS on the car's surface while your clay barring? you gotta keep the DS on the surface as a lubricant while rubbing it with the clay bar. then once you've gone over the whole panel, you can either leave the DS/Clay residue on the panel or wipe it off.

when i detail my DD, it stays outdoors. i leave the clay residue on the surface until i'm done clay barring, then i do a 2nd wash. sometimes i wait until the next morning before polishing. when i do that i wipe down each panel with WW before polishing to get any dust off the paint.

If working outside your circumstances are a little different, any breeze is kicking stuff up and theres gonna be a far greater chance of contamination landing on the finish. Then of course with the lube on there its going to stick.

In your circumstances I'd do a quick wash after claying, then dry, then move to polishing/waxing.

If the car sits overnight DEFINITELY do a full wash after claying.

I DO wash after I clay my truck if I can get the wife to give me the garage. You will be surprised at how dirty the car/truck will be.

Archived