Customer Service 866.965.0400

Detail Spray - 5 days?

sparg93

Question

Unfortunately I ran into a snag during my detail today and the car is covered in Detail Spray...i won't be able to get back to it until Saturday...is there any reason it's not OK to leave Detail Spray on a car for that long?

13 answers to this question

It should be fine...I've left detail spray on cars for extended periods of time.....you'll want to do another wipe with DS prior to getting started with anything further, but you should be OK. New DS will stick to and remove old DS residue fairly quickly and easily.

- Darryl

Unfortunately I ran into a snag during my detail today and the car is covered in Detail Spray...i won't be able to get back to it until Saturday...is there any reason it's not OK to leave Detail Spray on a car for that long?

I only spray a section at a time when I detail.

I wouldn't think it's a good idea to leave it on for days.

It's definitely going to dry and then leave something undesireable behind which should come up when you spray over it once again.

Why is your car covered in detail spray? Unless I am drying, I only work one section at a time.

Just wondering since we might be able to save you from wasting product or improve your technique.

He was probably claying. Once that clay is in my hand, I wouldn't stop and wipe off after each panel. It would be getting another 2 bucket anyway, plus that would add another hour or so to my clay process.

yeah - i was claying.

Also, I saw on the video that Adam sprayed detail spray all over the car after drying and before claying...is that a good idea?

I'm still a newb and very open to improving my technique!!

yeah - i was claying.

Also, I saw on the video that Adam sprayed detail spray all over the car after drying and before claying...is that a good idea?

I don't remember the video in question, but you don't have to dry if your going to clay.....because that usually leads to paint correction. I usually have the detail spray in one hand and the clay in the other, and just mist as Go. Today I used a 16 oz bottle for clay lube over the course of the entire vehicle. I like it wet and well lubed...when I clay:thumbsup:

DS is pink magic. If you are doing a correction, it won't matter, but after 5 days you are going to have to wash the car first before you polish. If you leave it on for 5 days it is going to trap dust and other contaminants and when you go to wash it off your going to get swirl city. That is why I don't leave it on as Adam does in his video. When I clay I do a panel at a time and wipe it dry with microfiber before doing the next panel.

yeah - i was claying.

:2thumbs: We're here to help. Adam is using the DS as a drying agent. It helps prevent water spots as you dry. PLUS it gives you a nice "quick detail" pop, if you're not going to go any further with other products.

Personally, I use the DS on the car prior to drying, regardless of whether I am going to do claying, etc. after. I dry the car entirely, then work panel by panel. Clay, one by one, wiping each panel so I can inspect progress. Then on to the machine polishing as necessary. I just don't like leaving ANY product sitting in the surface longer than necessary. That's just the way I do it. I don't detail for money, so I can take 10 hours on a car and love every minute of it.

You'll find your groove and get it figured out.

Thank you, all great intel.

I'm traveling between cities for the next few days so i will have no access to a spot of real estate and hose/water. My other option is to run it through a car wash...which dried on detail spray is probably the lesser of two evils.

I'm giving it a complete wash this upcoming weekend. This vehicle is a '99 Tahoe and has NEVER been clayed or polished, so swirls are the least of my problems :)

As an aside - I was able to finish claying the hood...i was astonished just how much dirt came up after the wash...it was seriously like I hadn't even washed it!!

Thank you, all great intel.

I'm traveling between cities for the next few days so i will have no access to a spot of real estate and hose/water. My other option is to run it through a car wash...which dried on detail spray is probably the lesser of two evils.

I'm giving it a complete wash this upcoming weekend. This vehicle is a '99 Tahoe and has NEVER been clayed or polished, so swirls are the least of my problems :)

As an aside - I was able to finish claying the hood...i was astonished just how much dirt came up after the wash...it was seriously like I hadn't even washed it!!

Yea definately agree that the DS is the lesser of the two there, not that I would call it evil. And if you have a 12 yr old car that has never been clayed stand by, if the hood was all you were able to get to as Bachman Turner Overdrive said... You ain't seen nothing yet.

Archived