Customer Service 866.965.0400

Foolish question

MikeS

Question

I hate to ask the question, but I couldn't find it in a search and I don't mind playing the fool...

What's the knock against the cheapo orbital buffers on the shelf at your neighborhood parts store? Other than the obvious terrycloth bonnets, is it just a lack of horsepower (i.e. won't get the job done)? Is it a lack of quality pads?

Is there something inherent in them that will damage your paint? Or they're just a joke and can't deliver adequate performance?

I know, I know..... :pc:

Regardless, I'll probably go pick up a PC this month, I'm just curious about the source of the stigma.

8 answers to this question

A little bit of everything you mentioned. They are basically powered wax applicators and thats really all they are good for. They arn't powerful enough to do any correction. Don't get me started on the quality of the bonnets they are meant for it.

The bonnets are horrible so thats the main issue, but even if you could get the bonnets to work well most of them have an UNLOADED top speed of 3000 opm... the motors are so weak that any downward pressure drops them to 2000 opm or less. Also they're single speed ON/OFF no variable speed... theres a list of reasons why you wouldn't want one for paint correction.

I hate to ask the question, but I couldn't find it in a search and I don't mind playing the fool...

What's the knock against the cheapo orbital buffers on the shelf at your neighborhood parts store? Other than the obvious terrycloth bonnets, is it just a lack of horsepower (i.e. won't get the job done)? Is it a lack of quality pads?

Is there something inherent in them that will damage your paint? Or they're just a joke and can't deliver adequate performance?

I know, I know..... :pc:

Regardless, I'll probably go pick up a PC this month, I'm just curious about the source of the stigma.

Mike, Don't waste your time & money on one of those buffers, like you said, lack of power & pads. You are a part of this forum so that tells me that you are serious about your detailing so you need a serious machine, treat yourself to a PC or Flex!:2thumbs:

Don't worry, Chris, I'm not headed there.... I'm planning on treating myself to the PC for my birthday next week.

Thanks all, we'll consider this one closed. I'd just gotten curious about the old buffer stashed in the back of my shed from when I was a 'kid' with a $500 first car.

Back in the day, I used to use one of these store bought orbital polishers with the bonnets.

I never used a terry cloth bonnet, but actually went online and purchased some foam styles instead.

Between having no horsepower, no speed settings , limited selection on bonnets, ergonomically terrible feel? They're a waste of money.

I think back about all the money I've wasted on sub par products. I could have probably bought a spare PC, and maybe even a Flex.

I love the 2-handle jobs with microfiber bonnets............they work great for one thing: removing polish residue from the side of an RV or box truck.

That is all. They don't do anything for paint correction, but if you have a few dozen bonnets, ideally good ones, they do work reasonably well at removing polish from giant, flat objects.

We used to use them to remove polish on the trailers of Coca-Cola delivery trailers.

:D

Archived