Customer Service 866.965.0400

Trip to Louisville Pays Off (Visit with The Junkman)

InDepthAutoDetailing

Question

Many of you saw the thread I posted Wet Sanding 101. As I stated in the post some of the scratches were beyond my comfort level. Especially after my flex came apart on the hood while polishing Friday. That's a whole other story.

Anyway, I got to A.J.'s place about 11:45am. There were three scratches I wanted to tackle plus the gouge in the hood. The only one that shows up in the pics is the one on the right rear quarter.

As soon as A.J. saw the hood he knew it wouldn't come out, but he could make it less noticeable. And that he did.

Then on to the left front fender, this one is a goner. I did not get a good pic of this one before so I don't see the need to post the after pic.

Finally, the right rear quarter. This one bugged me from the time we drove it off the lot. It was about 3" long and full of wax. It just stuck out like a sore thumb. This is the one I'll post pics of.

He treated all the scratches the same, 2500 grit, 3000 grit, then SHR with orange pad and FMP with the white pad on the Flex.

Finally, a special thanks to A.J. for answering all my questions and showing me around Louisville. And those were some AWESOME steaks!

Pics: 2 before, 1 during, and 2 after

I'll post hood pics in the next post.

AJ works his wet sanding magic once again.

Those steaks are making me drool all over the place. Medium, eh? That well done? ;)

Steak - it's what's for lunch.....

And then there was the little nap afterwards ... at least if it was me and I wasn't at work :D

And most important, the Corvette Museum. Notice in the last pic of the guy "detailing". No, he wasn't using Adam's. I think it was called C-Magic Detailers Wax. That poor Vette.:confused:

One thing I didn't know is that the majority of Vettes on display were on loan from the owner. I would be ashamed to put my Vette (if I had one) on display with all those swirls in it. Really sad.:confused:

And most important, the Corvette Museum. Notice in the last pic of the guy "detailing". No, he wasn't using Adam's. I think it was called C-Magic Detailers Wax. That poor Vette.:confused:

The stuff he was using is what they sell at the Corvette Museum. I've never tried it so I don't know how good it is. I did put on a detailing clinic inside the museum once. :D

nice save!

AJ,

where do you get your sandpaper from? i like the little block thing you got! i took the rear bowtie off my truck, which was painted and would like to practice wetsanding on it before i do it on cars.

I have a Mirror Glaze distributor shop a few miles from my house. That's where I get my sandpaper and that sanding block that you mentioned. The sanding block is a MUST when wet sanding. You never wet sand without one.

Nice pics Len! :thumbsup:

where do you get your sandpaper from? i like the little block thing you got! i took the rear bowtie off my truck, which was painted and would like to practice wetsanding on it before i do it on cars.

I have a Mirror Glaze distributor shop a few miles from my house. That's where I get my sandpaper and that sanding block that you mentioned. The sanding block is a MUST when wet sanding. You never wet sand without one.

You may find it in a regular auto parts store, but most likely you will need to find a PBE (paint, body, and equipment) store in your area. These stores carry professional auto body supplies, and will have very fine grit sandpaper and a variety of sanding blocks.

The Junkman is awesome:bow: but he doesn't work for free, you have to feed him.:jester:

...and feed me Len did. Nothing like a 16 ounce filet, cooked medium and served hot. :D

16_ounce_filet.jpg

Oh, Len got one too. :thumbsup:

16_ounce_filet2.jpg

Man, I look rough at noon! That's usually when I'm rolling over for the first time on a Saturday! :willy:

very nice! Pretty awesome of the Junkman to help you out. Another reason why I love this forum!

The Junkman is awesome:bow: but he doesn't work for free, you have to feed him.:jester:

How many steaks did this cost you?

2. One for him and one for me. After I left his place I went back to the hotel and the family was ready to go eat. We went to the Hard Rock where I ordered desert.:banana:

Archived