Customer Service 866.965.0400

New tires, nitto terra grapplers

GGEVOXFTMFW

Hey guys, I was debating on selling the truck possibly in the next year or so for something with better mpgs, but I decided to keep the truck. So my hunt for better mpgs in the truck, and not ever using it offroad I decided to sell my larger mud tires, for something smaller in the stock size, and give me back some mpgs that I lost. I also had a slight rub each time I turned with the 285's, and the truck seemed to lose some accelleration. So with battling the crappy milage pretty much since ive had the truck, and never seeing over 12-14 tops in town or 15 on the highway. The day I put these new tires on, that are also 13 lbs lighter per tire I went from 13 up to 17.5 on the way home. On 30-40 mph roads, with some stop and go using the cruise. The truck also seems so much faster as well, and the good thing is no rub as well. I was also debating on removing the level spacer, but its still on there for the time being. I know theres probably at least 1-2 gain in that. Well heres the pics, enjoy! :cheers:

009-7.jpg

008-9.jpg

005-8.jpg

007-9.jpg

003-12.jpg

003-12.jpg

Not bad, I still liked the Duratracs on your truck better. (Just ordered a set of Duratracs)

Those TGs work on your truck, never been a big fan on the overall looks of em' they don't look aggressive enough for me, compared to say the BFG ATs

Regardless truck is looking good as always

Don the truck looks great. Can I ask why there would be 1-2 mpg in the leveling spacers? I am considering putting them on my F150 but don't want to hurt my mpg.

Thanks Kelly, The larger tires usually affect it more, but my level is a 2 1/2 and heard it normally gives about 3 inches over all. So typically combined u can lose 2-4 mpgs. I remember losing about 1-1 1/2 mpgs with the spacer, then another 2 with the tires the next day when they were put on. I mean its common sense, your lifting the front end of something thats already big, and heavy, and has the aerodynamics of a brick lol.

I didn't lose any MPGs with my 2" level.....FWIW

I think maybe with the F150s already sitting higher than a stock silverado so you might not notice it as much. My truck leveled and with the 33s is about the same height as a stock new gen F150. Both the fords and dodges def are sitting higher stock for stock. That was the whole reason why I did the level, and tires, the truck was so low stock.

Thanks Don. I know you lose mpg with bigger tires. I just wouldn't think you would with a leveling kit. I am considering putting the lowering shackles on it as well. I don't really haul anything, and only tow a small utility trailer with a lawn mower on it. So I don't think I would have any issues with the decreased towing/hauling rating. I just hate the way the rear of my truck sits 2 inch's higher than the front.

Thanks Don. I know you lose mpg with bigger tires. I just wouldn't think you would with a leveling kit. I am considering putting the lowering shackles on it as well. I don't really haul anything, and only tow a small utility trailer with a lawn mower on it. So I don't think I would have any issues with the decreased towing/hauling rating. I just hate the way the rear of my truck sits 2 inch's higher than the front.

No prob, Ive seen people on the forums remove the 1.25 rear spacer on the 4x4's making it level again. Just not sure of any draw backs if any would be involved with it. Id do the 3/5 drop if I was going to do the shackles. That way its flush front and back. I think the 3/5 is as low as you can go with being 4x4.

Well my truck is not a 4x4, but I wouldn't drop it that much anyway. I just want it to sit more level. When I look out the back glass, I can't see anything but the tailgate. It just doesn't look right to me the way it sits, feels like I'm going downhill all the time. But don't have the increased gas mileage to go with it.

I think maybe with the F150s already sitting higher than a stock silverado so you might not notice it as much. My truck leveled and with the 33s is about the same height as a stock new gen F150. Both the fords and dodges def are sitting higher stock for stock. That was the whole reason why I did the level, and tires, the truck was so low stock.

Yep, you gotta point. I mean I'm running a 2" level, 35s & a 93 Performance Tune. I'm averaging 15.5-16.5 MPG with roughly 340miles per tank every fill up. I also drive that much a week if not more. Going to class on the opposite side of town's north campus. I'm pretty happy with that.

When I get the 295/65/18 Duratracs I may, may not see a gain . Not really sure

Yep, you gotta point. I mean I'm running a 2" level, 35s & a 93 Performance Tune. I'm averaging 15.5-16.5 MPG with roughly 340miles per tank every fill up. I also drive that much a week if not more. Going to class on the opposite side of town's north campus. I'm pretty happy with that.

When I get the 295/65/18 Duratracs I may, may not see a gain . Not really sure

Ya I just wish I had the six spd auto instead of the four spd. That alone would help me. My window sticker when I bought it only said 13/18 15 combined. Not sure what ford uses in the F150s. Im sure your tune helps you as well. I have a 87 oct hypertech max energy e con tune I picked up for $100 used. Which is supposed to help with milage.

I hear ya man. Good move. And I think she still looks pretty dang good!!

Thanks Chase, I just snagged a brand new oem gm body color grill off ebay for $199, normallly goes for $330-400. Pretty stoked. Im going to body match the whole front end over the winter, and finally add foglights. I also have a Borla Pro xs muffler coming tomorrow to swap with the super44 I cant stand anymore.

PTM front end would look sexy on your truck!

Just leave a little bit of chrome. I like your truck with the chrome accents

Ya when I was looking at trucks thats what I wanted when I bought mine, but I had to go with something with less options, and cheaper and while still had all the rebates. So now im slowly adding the things I want.:2thumbs: Looky what showed up this morning :rockon:

006-9.jpg

005-9.jpg

i had 285 and then 295 nittos on my truck a few years ago. Great tires. Lasted a lot longer than the bfgs. My 295s rubbed, so i trimmed the front bumper, problem solved.

you guys need diesels. i get 18mpg with 40"s, pulling 4k lbs of trailer at 80mph!

yes i do!

Just got the muffler on, and drove 5 miles home after retting my trip, fuel used, and mpgs again to see any difference with the new muffler. No drone, sounds badass outside, but nothing inside the cab at all. I love it, and after pulling in I went 5.4 miles on 0.3 of gas in stop and go traffic on the way back doing 30-40. Which comes out to be 18 done manually, and the highest Ive seen so far. :thumbsup:

nittos are great tires! great choice man and they look great on the truck!

Thanks Josh.

Don if you like keeping track of your MPGs try out the app "Fuel Friend Lite" I use it and it's great!

It gives you monthly statistics and will also export to a laptop so you can upload the info to your computer :thumbsup:

I'll check that out Jeff, thanks.

i've been tossing around getting a 2" Rough Country levelling kit and putting 275/60-20 Nitto Terra Grapplers on my stock wheels. i have the 5.3L 6spd and 3.08 gears. i'm averaging about 17mpg now, about 80% city driving, with a heavy foot sometimes. i usually get 21 mpg on the highway.

why does yours have the 4 spd? i thought all GMT-900s 2009 and newer had the 6spd?

i've been tossing around getting a 2" Rough Country levelling kit and putting 275/60-20 Nitto Terra Grapplers on my stock wheels. i have the 5.3L 6spd and 3.08 gears. i'm averaging about 17mpg now, about 80% city driving, with a heavy foot sometimes. i usually get 21 mpg on the highway.

why does yours have the 4 spd? i thought all GMT-900s 2009 and newer had the 6spd?

The four speed comes on the 4.8, and the 6 cyl are the only motors to get that trans. I have the LS trim, and which is just a hair over the WT for options. The LS trim if i remember right is only offered with the 4.8, but if i went up one trim level to the LT u can get either one, but most had the 5.3 as the option from what I saw. My truck has 3.42's, and I now get 18 almost 100% city driving using the cruise a lot more in the 30-50 mph range.

Archived