Customer Service 866.965.0400

Metal Polishes on Stainless

egott_91

Question

So my exhaust tips are stainless and I was wondering if I were to use the metal polish on them if it cause them to be shinier, like a chrome or polished look? The tips still look brand new, I was just thinking of the possibility of getting them shinier and was just wondering if the metal polishes would cause this to happen on stainless?

Thanks guys!

7 answers to this question

Depending on the grade of stainless (most likely 304), yes the metal polish will make them look brand new as even 304 will discolor over time. You won't be able to get them to look like chrome or highly polished aluminum, but you will be able to keep them looking top notch with the metal polish.

You might need to up the ante a little on the first go to take it from 'satin' to something resembling gloss. I've never personally tried, but I'd imagine a super fine grit paper would be enough to get it started. Once you get it smoothed out hitting it with our MP1 & MP2 should get the job done.

I'll be interested to see pictures of this transformation so be sure to document it.

You might need to up the ante a little on the first go to take it from 'satin' to something resembling gloss. I've never personally tried, but I'd imagine a super fine grit paper would be enough to get it started. Once you get it smoothed out hitting it with our MP1 & MP2 should get the job done.

I'll be interested to see pictures of this transformation so be sure to document it.

How fine are you thinking? 1500 grit or even finer than that? I might give it a shot on the back of my tips and if I don't like it I won't waste my time doing the entire tip. Looks like I'll need to get some MP 1 and 2 in the spring...

The sand paper will work: if you use 1,500 grit you'll have to follow up with finer and finer paper to remove the marks the 1,500 grit will leave. As with all polishing start with the least aggressive first to see how it performs. 0000 steel wool with WD-40 as a lubricant may be all the more you need.

Check this thread out I did (these were aluminum and a softer material):

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/wheels-trim-undercarriage-engine-bay-detailing/14910.htm

Archived