Customer Service 866.965.0400

Recommendation for Netflix Customers

mikegeaney

I have been a member of Netflix for several years now. It's one of those services, kind of like Adam's products, that has far exceeded my expectations. Recently I got an email from them discussing new BluRay DVD players that could also stream content from the "watch instantly" queue right to the DVD player. I have been on the fence about BluRay but now that the format wars have been settled, and with this added functionality, I decided it was time to dive in.

I ordered an LG-BD300 from Amazon which is another of my favorite joints. Got the machine today and a 50 foot ethernet cable, hooked the machine up to my TV, ran the cable to my FIOS router, activated the device via Netflix website and was streaming a movie from my on demand queue, in HD, in less than 15 minutes.

Just thought that I would share for any of you that are into Netflix/movies/home theater. I figure in another few years Netflix will begin offering streaming only subscriptions. The content available is not their entire library, but it seems to be increasing every day. This device is amazing. The streaming is mint, the upconversion of standard DVD's is great, and the BluRay video and audio are spectacular.

Interlaced or Progressive, it has to do with the way the lines on the screen refresh. Progressive appears much smoother to the eye. Standard TV is 480I, DVD is 480P then you get into HD with 720P, 1080I and now there is 1080P (think Blue-Ray)

Interlaced or Progressive, it has to do with the way the lines on the screen refresh. Progressive appears much smoother to the eye. Standard TV is 480I, DVD is 480P then you get into HD with 720P, 1080I and now there is 1080P (think Blue-Ray)

True.

interlaced, in "simple" terms is every other line (1.3.5.7etc) 30 times a second, and then the even lines 30 times a sec, switching between the two (even, odd, even, odd...etc). Progressive, by contrast is the whole screen 60 times a second. Progressive looks more like film than TV.

The new TV's are even better at 120HZ (120 times a sec) and look almost "fluid" by comparison.

I can't verify 1080p stream as my TV only does 720p/1080i. According to Netflix you can stream in "HD" so long as you have proper bandwidth 5mbps.

What kind of broadband connection do you have?

I have a Netflix account so I'll be checking into this. Thanks.

I have a Fiber Optic connection thru Verizon. I have more than enough bandwidth. Check out this site to figure what you are getting for speeds:

http://www2.verizon.net/micro/speedtest/hsi/

I just tested it on mine and got over 6 mbps. I have read that Netflix won't stream HD to you unless your connection speed is at least 3 mbps.

I have a Fiber Optic connection thru Verizon. I have more than enough bandwidth. Check out this site to figure what you are getting for speeds:

http://www2.verizon.net/micro/speedtest/hsi/

I just tested it on mine and got over 6 mbps. I have read that Netflix won't stream HD to you unless your connection speed is at least 3 mbps.

1.895 mbps...I'm not anywhere close so I guess I'm SOL. :(

I love learning about things like this, and thanks for posting Mike! We don't have cable, and are always waiting for a Netfilx delivery. Wonder how to find out what our speed is with Quest?

Duh, just realized it didn't matter which company the service is with. I'm SLOOOOOOOOW:

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td colspan="3" style="padding: 20px 0pt 3px 10px; color: rgb(204, 0, 0); font-weight: bold; font-size: large;">Download speed test comparison </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-top: 1px dashed rgb(204, 204, 204); border-bottom: 1px dashed rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 1px 0pt; padding: 1px 0pt;" width="150"> Connection Type

</td> <td style="border-top: 1px dashed rgb(204, 204, 204); border-bottom: 1px dashed rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 1px 0pt; padding: 1px 0pt;" width="350"> Connection Speed

</td> <td style="border-top: 1px dashed rgb(204, 204, 204); border-bottom: 1px dashed rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 1px 0pt; padding: 1px 0pt;">

</td> </tr></tbody></table> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td style="padding: 3px 0pt 1px 10px;" width="150">Up to 1 Mbps </td> <td> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td width="1"> greyPipeCap.gif

</td> <td style="background-image: url(http://www2.verizon.net/micro/speedtest/hsi/images/bkggreyPipe.gif'>http://www2.verizon.net/micro/speedtest/hsi/images/bkggreyPipe.gif'>http://www2.verizon.net/micro/speedtest/hsi/images/bkggreyPipe.gif'>http://www2.verizon.net/micro/speedtest/hsi/images/bkggreyPipe.gif);" width="32" height="13">

</td> <td width="1"> greyPipeCap.gif

</td> </tr></tbody></table> </td> <td style="padding: 0pt 0pt 0pt 10px; color: rgb(170, 170, 170);"> 1 Mbps </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr></tbody></table><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td style="padding: 3px 0pt 1px 10px;" width="150">Your Speed Result

</td> <td> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td width="1"> greenPipeCap.gif

</td> <td style="background-image: url(http://www2.verizon.net/micro/speedtest/hsi/images/bkggreenPipe.gif);" width="40" height="13">

</td> <td width="1"> greenPipeCap.gif

</td> </tr></tbody></table> </td> <td style="padding: 0pt 0pt 0pt 10px; color: rgb(48, 105, 24); font-weight: bold;"> 1.273 Mbps </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr></tbody></table>

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td style="padding: 3px 0pt 1px 10px;" width="150">Up to 3 Mbps </td> <td> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td width="1"> greyPipeCap.gif

</td> <td style="background-image: url(http://www2.verizon.net/micro/speedtest/hsi/images/bkggreyPipe.gif);" width="96" height="13">

</td> </tr></tbody></table> </td> <td style="padding: 0pt 0pt 0pt 10px; color: rgb(170, 170, 170);"> 3 Mbps </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr></tbody></table><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td style="padding: 3px 0pt 1px 10px;" width="150">Up to 5 Mbps </td> <td> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td width="1"> greyPipeCap.gif

</td> <td style="background-image: url(http://www2.verizon.net/micro/speedtest/hsi/images/bkggreyPipe.gif);" width="161" height="13">

</td> </tr></tbody></table> </td> <td style="padding: 0pt 0pt 0pt 10px; color: rgb(170, 170, 170);"> 5 Mbps </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr></tbody></table> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td style="padding: 3px 0pt 1px 10px;" width="150">Up to 7.1 Mbps </td> <td> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td width="1"> greyPipeCap.gif

</td> <td style="background-image: url(http://www2.verizon.net/micro/speedtest/hsi/images/bkggreyPipe.gif);" width="228" height="13">

</td> </tr></tbody></table> </td> <td style="padding: 0pt 0pt 0pt 10px; color: rgb(170, 170, 170);"> 7.1 Mbps </td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

Hey Adam

Are you on a wireless notebook ? Make sure you test on a hardwired PC or MAC. The streaming devices all should be hardwired for optimum speed.

I get anywhere from 1 to 3 Meg up and down on my MAC Book. But on a old hardwired iMAC I get 5 Meg up and 6 Meg down :thumbsup:

Thanks Bill, just checked with our service provider, Quest, and they said we can get up to 1.5 MBPS. "Up to!" My computer is hardwired, unfortunately.

That's a bummer, as we would love to download movies. We don't do cable, dish, or any TV. Love the no TV thing, but waiting for movies can be a drag.

That's life in the mountains I guess!!

I never have had TV. Remember when I was 8, and the other kids went home to watch TV. I always thought, "Wow, those kids must be rich!"

Always had a paper route, detailed bikes, and eventually cars after school. By the time it was bed time, I was bushed, and never made time for TV.

In college, we watched the Trojan games, if we couldn't attend, but that was it.

Now, when I see TV at my sister's house, or at the airport, etc, it bugs me. Especially the news.

In my opinion, the Media should be charged with obstruction of progress, spinning the doomdsday crap they spin!!:mad:

People hearing the world is ending, and we are all going to die financially is not good for our country, or the world for that matter.

Anyone else with me on this??

I never have had TV. Remember when I was 8, and the other kids went home to watch TV. I always thought, "Wow, those kids must be rich!"

Always had a paper route, detailed bikes, and eventually cars after school. By the time it was bed time, I was bushed, and never made time for TV.

In college, we watched the Trojan games, if we couldn't attend, but that was it.

Now, when I see TV at my sister's house, or at the airport, etc, it bugs me. Especially the news.

In my opinion, the Media should be charged with obstruction of progress, spinning the doomdsday crap they spin!!:mad:

People hearing the world is ending, and we are all going to die financially is not good for our country, or the world for that matter.

Anyone else with me on this??

I agree with you Adam. The "sky is falling" mentality is one reason my 401K is now a 101K.

I admire your discipline because I'm a TV junky. I curse it but I still watch it anyway. :lolsmack:

Thanks Bill, just checked with our service provider, Quest, and they said we can get up to 1.5 MBPS. "Up to!" My computer is hardwired, unfortunately.

That's a bummer, as we would love to download movies. We don't do cable, dish, or any TV. Love the no TV thing, but waiting for movies can be a drag.

That's life in the mountains I guess!!

All is not lost. The point of my reply to Bill was the speed that is needed in order to stream in High Definition. You could certainly still stream video from them....just not in high def.

All is not lost. The point of my reply to Bill was the speed that is needed in order to stream in High Definition. You could certainly still stream video from them....just not in high def.

Really Mike?? Good stuff! So, have you ever seen video downloaded in low-res, and is it so annoying to watch, you want to throw popcorn at the screen and go to bed?

If we can get this setup, we'd be styling! Thanks for your help!:thumbsup:

Adam,

I can't really comment on the low resolution. A friend of mine @ work got one of these and loves it:

http://www.roku.com/netflixplayer/index.php?utm_source=NFLX&utm_medium=NRD&utm_campaign=HT

This was the first device that Netflix offered. According to Netflix the quality of the video stream will depend on your internet connection speed. If you get 3mbps you can have DVD quality (aka 480p) if it is below that you will get what is considered to be standard quality (480i) which is what most standard TV signals/non-HD stations transmit in for now anyway.

Not sure if you use a PC or a MAC, but if you are on a PC you can try the video streaming over your computer to see what type of quality you get. If it's acceptable you may want to consider this box. It's $99 which isn't too bad. I hope that helps.

I called my ISP and they have a 12Mbps option for $40 a month. They say it's ideal for video streaming! Cool! No need for DVDs in the mail! :banana:

Damn. 12Mbps will be more than enough. If you are not already a Netflix member check them out. They don't have their entire library available as "watch it now"/streaming but I suspect that will change in the near future. They have increased the % of their library that is available to stream significantly this year.

Well I moved in for this today, got a nice new 52" flat screen and a BluRay player. This is the Sony combo so no streaming from NetFlix but I did sign up and have a few movies on the way :2thumbs:

If you haven't seen a movie in BluRay it really is amazing !!!!