Customer Service 866.965.0400

Leather Conditoner issue

mikeg6045

Question

Got a new car with white stitching around black leather.

Now I know why 98% of all leather conditioners have no coloring in them and are white lotions or sprays.

Adams Leather Conditioner leaves coloring residue on white stitching and makes it the same beige as the coloring in the Leather Conditioner. The only way to remove the product coloring was to clean the stitching which is something you have to be careful doing.

Since realizing this issue, I noticed that in my Audi with red stitching the Leather Conditioner is also darkening the red stitching.

On leather the product works fine without any leftover coloring, but maybe its because the stitching is made of unprotected cloth that the residue is leftover.

I had to order a different Leather conditioner in the meantime that is a white lotion.

Anyone else have this issue ? Why is the leather conditioner beige anyway ? Does this serve any purpose ?

10 answers to this question

Could the leather dye be bleeding onto the stitching?

That actually wouldn't be the first time... volvo has a color combo of a dark leather with white stitching and if anything damp touches the leather it picks up pigment and turns the stitching blueish.

I think it was a certain color combo in the XC90 from a few years ago, but it happened to a few people that I heard about and the color combo has since been discontinued.

We finally figured it out after the customer emailed us to say that he had gotten soaked in the rain wearing khakis as he ran to his volvo. By the time he got home the butt of his pants was a bluish gray color.

sorry for the delay. Its an audi. black leather with white stitching. The stitching will clean off if a cleaner is used and the residue will wipe away.

The leather is NOT bleeding dye as I use white MF towels for the interior. and everything in the interior has been color-fast with no bleeding issues.

Adams leather conditoner is one of the best products I have used for finished leather. I just wish the conditioner was white and would not leave its coloring behind.

For an easy way to see what i'm talking about, try putting the leather conditioner onto your white doublesoft towel border. The border will turn the color of the conditioner. It will clean off if you wash it, but it still turns tan.

Is the conditioner originally white and colored tan for marketing ? Its easy to understand why it would be tan. It helps tell what the product is, and it also has a leather color and scent. Completely understandable, i'm just trying to explain where this is a issue for white stitching.

anyone else have an audi with white stitching on this forum and know what i'm talking about ??

Not to hijack the thread here, but had the same questions about using the LC on yellow stitching. What was used to wipe down the stitching to remove the LC?

I used a PH Nuetral Leather cleaner to clean the stitching. Its a competing product so i prefer not to mention it on the forum. You need to be careful around stitching and use a very mild product (PH7) as it can break down and fray very easily from any potent cleaner. The stitching is the only unprotected part of leather seats and it should be treated with care.

I just stuck a PH strip into my bottle of straight Leather & Interior Cleaner and found it to have a PH of 10, that's really not too Alkaline considering the scale for Alkalinity goes from 7 to 14. Detergent/soap is alkaline and needed to clean. A product with a PH of 7 would be neutral and nothing more than scented water.