Customer Service 866.965.0400

Blue Jeans Company HDMI Cables (Made in USA)

MAYBEN

Does anyone have any experience with Blue Jeans Company HDMI Cables?

From what I've seen, their cable stock is made here, then they send it to China to be finished, supposedly ALL cables must be finished in China.

I'm trying to decide whether to spring a little extra for one of their cables versus monoprice or something like it. I need a 25' cable so I want to buy the right one.

Thanks!

WOW... flashback. Hadn't heard anything about them in a long time. No first hand experience, but when I was still in the business they had a pretty crummy reputation among those who knew their stuff.

Don't buy into the monster cable hype and pay a 20% markup for the name.

Just get a quality cable with nicely plated connectors and nicely terminated ends. At a certain point all the cables become the same as they're carrying digital signals. You just want something thats made well so an end doesn't pop off or lose contact pins.

We used to use a company called legacy cables USA that would custom make lines to our exact specs (length, gauge, connectors, amplified, etc) for all our interconnects. Then longer runs were custom made on site. They went under a long long time ago - simply weren't able to stay in business selling custom premium cables that were 5x the cost of the ones coming from China.

two Pros saying no-go.. okie dokie, should I rename the thread Which 25' HDMI in-wall capable to get? lol :jester:

I ordered my mount today, and received the Powerbridge yesterday.. now all I need is some Romex, In-Wall speaker wire, and the HDMI cable..

The TV needs to go on the wall now that we have a sectional..

I've been blowing up Brendon's email with question after question and he's been great!

two Pros saying no-go.. okie dokie, should I rename the thread Which 25' HDMI in-wall capable to get? lol :jester:

I ordered my mount today, and received the Powerbridge yesterday.. now all I need is some Romex, In-Wall speaker wire, and the HDMI cable..

The TV needs to go on the wall now that we have a sectional..

I've been blowing up Brendon's email with question after question and he's been great!

Romex - 14/2 availible at lowes/HD i think they run around $14 for 25ft. I get the 250ft bundles since i go through it pretty quick.

Speaker Wire - Give me how many feet you think you need and ill sell you the good stuff at cost + shipping I am an avid user of ICE Cable Systems. By far some of the best you can buy. American run company and is very involved with the cable suppliers in china. I actually found out the owner was born and raised in the town right next to mine. ICE Cable Systems | Low Voltage Wire & Cable Manufacturer

Dylan, you would appreciate this stuff from back in your days in the AV industry. The jacket is so smooth, doesnt bind and also lays so nice and flat in a rack:banana:

Good call on the power bridge... thats how I ran my setup. Makes it so easy to relocate power and also allows you to run your display on the same power conditioner/protection as the rest of your system. With your 14/2 make sure to get more than you think you need... runs in walls rarely come out in straight lines and theres nothing worse than spending a bunch of time fishing a wire, drilling out fire blocks, etc only to find out you're an inch short.

Better to aim long on the need and just cut to fit with an extra 'service loop' factored in just in case.

That does look like nice stuff Brendon... its amazing how much easier quality cables make when doing this stuff. There was a period of time that the owner insisted we use cheap/bulk RG-6 for making our component interconnects and it just made for nightmarish rack cleanup. The stuff was so rigid my guys would spend another 4+ hours on a job just to wrangle the wire mess.

Did you get my last email?

I just noticed this.. and just read the email, for some reason it was marked as read, yet I didn't open it until now..

so Monoprice is the way to go even for 25' in wall?

or should I go with a different one, like Ice or whatever?

ICE and Key digital make <b>really</b> good HDMI cables. The mono price cables are infinitely better then the free ones you get with the cable boxes but that where it ends. For budget situations monoprice is good especially sense the difference is indiscernible on 52" sets and less anything bigger and you will start to notice fragments in the picture.

Like i told you, i only use monoprice stuff in budgetary commercial installations or extreme residential budget situations.

Ice/key digital 7.5 meter (roughly 25ft) your looking at $98. Dylan is right, there is a cap to quality/picture with HDMI and the monster stuff is complete crap.

Compared to the stuff you can get as an installer or compared to the stuff we can get as a consumer?

to all, I was telling Nick that with HDMI it either works or it doesnt. There is no in between or forgiveness with the miserable technology. Blue jean stuff would constantly fall apart at the connector and 1/2 the time fail to pass a picture. They have very poor quality control standards on top of that it took them FOREVER to get the approval to slap the HDMI logo on their crap. For a while they were selling "ilegal" hdmi cables. I thought that the lawsuit brought them to their knees. Thats why i was shocked when i saw Nick mention it, i assumed they went out long ago.

to all, I was telling Nick that with HDMI it either works or it doesnt. There is no in between or forgiveness with the miserable technology. Blue jean stuff would constantly fall apart at the connector and 1/2 the time fail to pass a picture. They have very poor quality control standards on top of that it took them FOREVER to get the approval to slap the HDMI logo on their crap. For a while they were selling "ilegal" hdmi cables. I thought that the lawsuit brought them to their knees. Thats why i was shocked when i saw Nick mention it, i assumed they went out long ago.

Thanks for the info Brendon. I have subscribed to this thread so I can find it in the future.

I have lots of Blue Jeans stuff - HDMI, Component video, and Coaxial Digital & Optical Digital audio cables. I have never had a problem with any of them, but don't have any equipment to check signals and only have short runs.

When I upgrade my TV, I will upgrade the cables too!

ICE and Key digital make <b>really</b> good HDMI cables. The mono price cables are infinitely better then the free ones you get with the cable boxes but that where it ends. For budget situations monoprice is good especially sense the difference is indiscernible on 52" sets and less anything bigger and you will start to notice fragments in the picture.

Like i told you, i only use monoprice stuff in budgetary commercial installations or extreme residential budget situations.

Ice/key digital 7.5 meter (roughly 25ft) your looking at $98. Dylan is right, there is a cap to quality/picture with HDMI and the monster stuff is complete crap.

I have a 55" LED tv.. so I would notice fragments with the monoprice, right? Ice/Key Digital are the same company?

Romex - 14/2 availible at lowes/HD i think they run around $14 for 25ft.

Assuming your tying into a 15 amp circuit (not a 20 amp) and the load on that branch circuit isn't going to exceed 1440 watts, or 12 amps.

Just trying to clarify. I have seen some really scary electrical in my time.

Assuming your tying into a 15 amp circuit (not a 20 amp) and the load on that branch circuit isn't going to exceed 1440 watts, or 12 amps.

Just trying to clarify. I have seen some really scary electrical in my time.

Nick, he has a point, albet its a 15a line but best to make sure. find the breaker for that circuit and make sure its a 15a. if its 20a run 12/2. The power bridges i use are rated for 20amp lines, i think most are so you should be fine.

Youve seen some? I run across some Hack S*** from trunkslamers and even some "licensed electricians" Here is one I ran across recently. This was a takeover job after the trunkslamers hacked together the system to make it bearly functional. After cleaning up the ratsnest of wires to get to the TV I run across this little gem.

Its a "homemade" power bridge. They used an extension cord, 16ga. stranded wire and took a coax pass through and used the hole for the wire then "locked" the wire in with a box lock, I guess they tried :lolsmack: at that point it would have probably been safer and not as many strikes against code to just run the TV power cable through the wall :loser:

DSC02929.jpg

DSC02928.jpg

DSC02931.jpg

It's not A/V related, but I ran into this in a hotel room I had once in Virginia Beach.

P7260026.jpg

That's the way I found it when I walked into the room. It seems like they replaced the unit and instead of splicing it together properly, or better yet terminating it in a junction box, they just threw it together like this. I know enough not to touch it, but I can only imagine if a family had a little kid staying in that room crawling around on the floor. :help:

Onboard ships I've seen all kinds of wiring nightmares where all I can do is ask what the person who wired it was thinking.

It's not A/V related, but I ran into this in a hotel room I had once in Virginia Beach.

P7260026.jpg

That's the way I found it when I walked into the room. It seems like they replaced the unit and instead of splicing it together properly, or better yet terminating it in a junction box, they just threw it together like this. I know enough not to touch it, but I can only imagine if a family had a little kid staying in that room crawling around on the floor. :help:

Onboard ships I've seen all kinds of wiring nightmares where all I can do is ask what the person who wired it was thinking.

Which Hotel in VA Beach? Im very familiar with it. When i did subcontracting work viking yacht's the wiring was the WORSE i have ever seen. 20a lines with 14 ga wire. Splices that would make an inspector roll over in his grave. For people spending millions of dollars on these Yacht's its stupid how shoddy the wiring is.

They hire 19 year old kids with zero experience and think its better that way. the problem is there arent codes to enforce on these boats.

The DoubleTree. I wasn't paying for the room, so I didn't care too much. The ships I work on are regulated by the USCG and ABS, but there's so much for them to inspect that most of the time, as long as it works, they won't say anything. Whenever I wire something, it not only has to work, but it has to look neat too. It just take a little extra time to make all the wires organized in the beginning but can save hours in troubleshooting down the road in case a component ever fails.

The HDMI Cable and Speaker Wire came in! According to FedEx, the Mount is at home waiting for me!

Nick, he has a point, albet its a 15a line but best to make sure. find the breaker for that circuit and make sure its a 15a. if its 20a run 12/2. The power bridges i use are rated for 20amp lines, i think most are so you should be fine.

Does this matter since I'm only wiring this from the receptacle behind the tv, then to the inlet near the AVR and using an 'extension' cord to plug it into my surge protector?

926_TSDIYimage.jpg

Hey Nick, believe it or not, I found something VERY similar to this at Lowes. I ran all my wires through the wall and into my basement. I'm not sure what brand the HDMI's are.. I'm sure they're made elsewhere.. Mine were 20 or 25 foot long though. They work great. I just used an HDMI switching receiver so I only had to run one HDMI. I still ran two incase I wanted a blue ray player upstairs. I use Apple TV, so I don't have a BR player. If I did it again, which I will be hopefully soon, I'll just run one HDMI.

Basically what I bought were these. I only bought the one on the right in the picture though. I had an electrician (I know one that works on the side) run power up from an existing outlet to this and it works great.

Amazon.com: Datacomm 50-3323-WH-KIT Flat Panel TV Cable Organizer Kit with Power Solution - White: Electronics

Then do it right and get a whole home surge protector. They mount to your electrical panel.

Chris

The picture I posted is what I bought, and got it for $38.XX from Amazon, I saw the one you posted but the one I bought was on sale, lol

I already have the surge protector, I set up everything previously but now have to mount it onto the wall..

Does this matter since I'm only wiring this from the receptacle behind the tv, then to the inlet near the AVR and using an 'extension' cord to plug it into my surge protector?

926_TSDIYimage.jpg

Yes, it matters. If you go down to your power panel it should say 15, or 20 on the switch. (my apologies if you already knew this). You don't want to run 14 gauge wire if it is on a 20 amp circuit. Use 12 gauge wire. More than likely it is 14 gauge 15 amp. But is best to check. Homeline 15 Amp Single-Pole Circuit Breaker-06270 at The Home Depot

The other thing to consider is do you have a lot of stuff already on this one circuit and how much more are you wanting to add? Remember my post earlier to try and not go over 1440 watts for a 15 amp circuit.

In regards to an extension cord I would try to stay as short as possible on your run. Even if it means going to Home Depot or Lowes and buying wire (not romex) and making your own. They will show you how to do it. Really easy. An extension cord isn't just an extension cord. I would try to stay with like 14/3 cord at the smallest. But that is just me. And don't coil the cords up, nice and neat. Hence my reason for getting only the length necessary. I knew a lady that was a clean freak about everything and did this. It started her house on fire because of the heat generated in the cord being coiled up.

9 ft. Red and Black 14/3 Medium-Duty Indoor/Outdoor 3-Outlet Extension Cord-HD#623-395 at The Home Depot

Don't buy one of these.

6 ft. 16/2 Cube Tap Extension Cord-HD#145-017 at The Home Depot

You can pick up one of these. They are handy to have, not only will it tell you if you have the power off to the plug, it will also tell you if you wired it right. It will also help you figure out what else is on that circuit. Keep in mind that you may have lights, ceiling fans etc on the same circuit.

3-Wire Circuit Analyzer Voltage Tester-HCA300 at The Home Depot

Hope this helps.

Maybe Iam somewhat confused as to what your asking. In the picture that you posted it looks as though there are two options for wiring. Correct me if Iam wrong. If your not doing the in wall installation then don't worry about the romex. Just get a good quality extension cord.

I'm not adding/expanding any power, Im just making it so that I can plug my tv into my surge protector.

I'm not tapping into any of the circuits, I'm just putting an extension cord inside the wall legally.

Archived