Customer Service 866.965.0400

Detailed: 2009 VW GTI

The Ryan

Back for another write up of a detail I did over the weekend. It's owner loves his car, and the minor clear coat damage over the last 3 years proves it. However it had acquired swirls and a few scratches over the years so it was time to get it back into better than show room new.

I started early saturday morning around 7:30, this is what the car looked like on arrival:

DSC_0281.jpg

DSC_0282.jpg

DSC_0283.jpg

DSC_0285.jpg

DSC_0286.jpg

I started out with the wheels, and Adam's All Pourpose Cleaner via a 36oz bottle and foaming sprayer:

DSC_0278.jpg

I then moved on to the fenders with a well lets just say 'prototype' fender brush:

DSC_0287.jpg

For the record, this brush is great for vehicles with small fenders like this TDI, and my Veloster - it makes getting into tight spaces easier. Back to the detail.. After I got all of the wheels and fenders clean, it was time to work on the wheels themselves. They were foamed down with Adam's Green Wheel Cleaner via a 36oz bottle and foaming spray head, then treated to the Turbo Stick treatment for the barrels of the wheels:

DSC_0288.jpg

Adam's Lug Brush was used to clean the Lugs, then cleaned out to clean up the Grill after a full foam treatment of Adam's Shampoo:

DSC_0289.jpg

Here's a nice shot of why the two bucket method is important during a wash on a particularly dirty car:

DSC_0326.jpg

After washing the car with Adam's Merino Wool Wash Mitt, it was time to clay the car, here's the aftermath of just the hood:

DSC_0290.jpg

After pulling the car into the garage, and drying it via Adam's Great White Drying towels and Detail Spray, it was time to actually see what needed to be done, we'll start with the dry exterior trim, and leftover wax on the rubber stripping:

DSC_0293.jpg

DSC_0294.jpg

DSC_0299.jpg

Then move on to the scratches, marring and swirls found in the clear coat:

DSC_0300.jpg

DSC_0302.jpg

DSC_0304.jpg

DSC_0305.jpg

DSC_0309.jpg

DSC_0311.jpg

The car clearly wasn't hammered but was definitely in need of a two stage polish.. Enter the Flex, Swirl and Haze Remover and Fine Machine Polish and prototype pads:

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

I then taped off the trim with 3M Automotive masking tape to avoid getting polish on it:

DSC_0312.jpg

The clear on this VW was very easy to work with I only had to repeat steps once on the whole car, and it was me trying to work the polish to fast.

After a full two stage polish, I applied a coat of Adam's Brilliant Glaze:

DSC_0314.jpg

DSC_0315.jpg

While the Glaze was curing I decided to hit the honeycomb grill with Adam's In & Out Spray:

DSC_0316.jpg

DSC_0317.jpg

DSC_0318.jpg

I then treated the rest of the exterior plastics to a healthy treatment of Adam's Super VRT:

DSC_0319.jpg

The tires were then treated to a helping of Super VRT, and the wheels were sealed with Adam's new Quick Sealant:

DSC_0320.jpg

After a coat of Adam's Americana, it was finally time to do the Final paint inspection:

DSC_0321.jpg

DSC_0322.jpg

DSC_0323.jpg

DSC_0324.jpg

DSC_0325.jpg

We drove down a couple of blocks while the sun was still out to capture some pics of it in the sun:

DSC_0341.jpg

DSC_0342.jpg

DSC_0334.jpg

DSC_0335.jpg

DSC_0330.jpg

DSC_0328.jpg

DSC_0329.jpg

DSC_0332.jpg

And my favorite shots of the day, in front of a little church here in Lakewood:

DSC_0336.jpg

DSC_0337.jpg

DSC_0338.jpg

DSC_0339.jpg

The car came out great, it was fun to work on and breathe life back into it.. But no Adam's detail is complete without the infamous "Von Kleist" Shot:

DSC_0348.jpg

:pc::banana:

Archived