Customer Service 866.965.0400

Let's talk tuners....

InDepthAutoDetailing

I'm looking at getting one of these for my truck to hopefully add a little extra oomph. There are so many choices. Superchips, Diablosport, Bullydog, I'm sure there are more.

I've talked to Diablosport and Superchips on the phone and my biggest problem is that in order to do update you have to hook it up to a PC. I'm about as anti-PC as it gets. Everything Mac. I could load Windows on my Mac but that just adds to the price. However, Superchips has one model that updates via wifi. I just wasn't really looking to drop $600 on a tuner.

Things I'm looking for in a tuner is of course, more power, the ability to load custom tunes in the event if I ever want to modify the engine internally, the ability to compensate for large tires and lower gears. I'd also like the eyecandy of 0-60 time and 1/8 & 1/4 times. No, I'm not drag racing my truck I just think it would be really cool. :burnout:

Anyway, does anyone have one of these? Was it worth it on a stock motor? Will it really improve your MPGs?

I've also texted with SRTLUVR, he uses Diablosport and has nothing but good things to say about them.

I am not sure on the ram but I have a superchips cortex for the G8. I have only had it for about a month so far but I love it. It made a huge difference. I feel like I am driving a different car. The trans shifts better and I can feel a little more power.

Guest Gone & Forgotten

I put a DirecTv tuner in my Camaro... didn't go any faster, but I can get HBO in there as long as I stay parked in one place.

Diablo sport seems to own the GM market - (the only cars I've searched for) - BAMA has one out too - but I'm unsure if that's the brand or a modified Diablo Sport with their programs on it.

Look for a support system - like BAMA - you can pre-pay for tunes - or if you're lucky and get in on a special - get lifetime tunes for one price - and when you do anything else to your car - add exhaust, change to 93 octane, lose 50 pounds of belly fat (like I need to do) - you can get on the website and alter your settings, they'll make you a custom tune and sent it to you.... you flash your car's chip/ecm and bam..a.

Cruise the DOdge forums - dodgetalk or something - was on it when i had mine and realized 99% of the guys on there were interested in lift kits and mudders - not my cup of tea.

i have a DiabloSport Trinity that i used to use on my Camaro, which i'm now using in my truck. it really does make a difference, IMO! although if your planning on modding the engine internally or adding forced induction, i would recommend EFILive or HPTuners because that is what most professional tuners use. if you do a cam or forced induction you NEED to get it on the dyno to have it tuned.

Do you guys noticing any type of improved fuel economy on your respective vehicles with the tuners? I have been looking into some for my Jeep and wonder if, beyond performance gains, if it helps with fuel econ.

I'm also looking for a tuner for our '11 Jeep GC. Love the HEMI, but apparently a tuner is needed to drop the program that turns off a 4 cyl at highway speeds, which makes it feel like it's permanently shifting gears. (That, and it makes a terrible sound in the 4cyl mode after the exhaust and intake were installed!) Modifying is a sickness....and I love it!:D

I have looked at the Superchips, and Diablo thus far. The kicker for me is to be able to turn it back to stock, so that the warranty is not voided. (Need to keep the tuner in the glove box.) Any permanent program can cause an issue, should there be a warranty repair...

I'm tuned in to this thread, and looking forward to what the other HEMI members have to say!

:burnout:

Can I please chime in and head caution to the wind with tuning a vehicle still under warranty? I know some of the GM techs were able to tell when some of the TBSS were tuned back to stock when brought in for a warranty issue.

I would definitely research to see if the tune is traceable or if it leaves some sort of footprint in the ECM log or somewhere...

I'm also looking for a tuner for our '11 Jeep GC. Love the HEMI, but apparently a tuner is needed to drop the program that turns off a 4 cyl at highway speeds, which makes it feel like it's permanently shifting gears. (That, and it makes a terrible sound in the 4cyl mode after the exhaust and intake were installed!) Modifying is a sickness....and I love it!:D

I have looked at the Superchips, and Diablo thus far. The kicker for me is to be able to turn it back to stock, so that the warranty is not voided. (Need to keep the tuner in the glove box.) Any permanent program can cause an issue, should there be a warranty repair...

I'm tuned in to this thread, and looking forward to what the other HEMI members have to say!

Adam, I just bought a '10 Jeep Grand Cherokee and while I LOVE IT to death, I totally wish I would have gotten the Hemi since the fuel mileage difference is so minimal between the Hemi and the 3.7L V6. Basically what I am saying is I'm jealous, good to hear you're liking the '11.

What kind of performances differences did you notice when you put the intake and exhaust in? I've been toying with both those mods myself.

Adam, That's another option I forgot to mention. The ability to turn off 4cyl mode. Sounds like the truck is missing when it kicks in.

Can I please chime in and head caution to the wind with tuning a vehicle still under warranty? I know some of the GM techs were able to tell when some of the TBSS were tuned back to stock when brought in for a warranty issue.

I would definitely research to see if the tune is traceable or if it leaves some sort of footprint in the ECM log or somewhere...

Mook, I've read somewhere that Diablosport does not leave a footprint. I'll see if I can find it again. My truck, only at 15,800 miles, only has about 3 months left on the factory warranty. The place where I purchased gave me a lifetime powertrain warranty with the condition that all the maintenance is done at the dealer or an authorized shop. This includes everything all the way down to rotating and balancing the tires. Which basically means I could never mod the truck to make it my own. What good is that? I don't want to be tied down that way.

Combo added much to the performance, especially the responsiveness. Intake seemed to improve the performance more than the exhaust, however I did the exhaust first.

The MOPAR guys at the dealership said any failure of the vehicle, under warranty, would have to be proven to have been caused by the chip.

I checked into turning off that 8 to 4cyl deal, and the only way to do it is with a tuner. Basically, Jeep/ Chrysler is getting a benefit by offering vehicles that get good MPG. IMHO, this was a stunt, as the system stinks!!

;)

here is a thread i did when i first installed the DiabloSport in my truck:

Intake, Exhaust, Tune Fuel Economy Results! - GM-Trucks.com

now that i've added the bed cover, and DiabloSport now has an MPG Booster tune for my truck, i'm redoing my experiment looking at differences between my previous tune with and without bed cover, and new MPG Booster tune with bedcover.

Combo added much to the performance, especially the responsiveness. Intake seemed to improve the performance more than the exhaust, however I did the exhaust first.

The MOPAR guys at the dealership said any failure of the vehicle, under warranty, would have to be proven to have been caused by the chip.

I checked into turning off that 8 to 4cyl deal, and the only way to do it is with a tuner. Basically, Jeep/ Chrysler is getting a benefit by offering vehicles that get good MPG. IMHO, this was a stunt, as the system stinks!!

;)

GM does the same thing! but the 4cyl mode never kicks in on the highway in my truck, unless i'm going 60mph

My commute to work is 2 miles, and i sometimes get up to 40mph, so I don't really focus too much on economy. That said, we get about 13-15MPG, since I'm mostly in town.....and rarely on the highway.:thumbsup:

Adam, I found this in the Diablosport Trinity tuner user manual. Thought you might like know.

2.4- Restoring the “Original Backup”

From time to time you may need to bring your vehicle in for service work

or emissions testing. With a performance tune installed on the vehicle,

the dealership’s diagnostic equipment may not connect or read your

PCM. To avoid this it is essential that you restore the “Original Backup”

to the vehicle before you bring it in for service or testing. Keep in mind

that only the “Original Backup” will restore the true factory settings to

your vehicle with no watermarks or footprints left in the PCM. Any tune

labeled “Factory HP Tune” or “Factory Tune” is not the same as your

“Original Backup”‐ it is actually a Diablo Tune File that lets you modify

the vehicle’s stock program without power gains. You may also want to

use your Trinity on another vehicle. The Trinity will not tune another

vehicle until the “Original Backup” has been restored and it is no longer

married/ VIN locked to a vehicle. Let’s review how to restore your

vehicle’s “Original Backup”:

Adam diablosport has a new intune that you should look at. I have a dodge magnum and all the guys from dodge Chrysler say go with diablo! A lot of dealers in my area sell these at dealer as well. So check out their website and you can order through speedlogix.com they are mopar specific so they can guide you in your decision!!!! Good luck!

Got my Diablosport Trinity today. You can't beat FREE next day delivery. I'm currently installing Windows 7 on my Mac Pro. :help:

Hopefully I'll get all the computer stuff figured out today and get it registered while the weather is crappy. Then tomorrow after work I'll be plugging this beast into the truck to see what all the fuss is about.

Stay tuned.

:lurk:

Adam, and anyone else that wants to turn off the 4cyl. mode, If you press the Tow/Haul button it will not allow the Hemi to go to 4cyl mode. Also if you upshift through the gears leaving it in 5th (not drive) will also not allow 4cyl mode as well.

Archived