Customer Service 866.965.0400

PROJECT: Avalanche Resurrection

Team Adam's

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Still can't believe you had the dealership wash your truck even though it was for product testing. But like you said the things you do for us.

Keep it up Dylan.

Takin' one for the team LOL.

I didn't plan on it initially, but when my service guy asked "No wash like usual right?" I thought to myself that it'd be a perfect chance to show what improper washing does.

You always get the guy on one forum or another saying "I let the dealership wash my car all the time and its still perfect" This is just proof positive that a 'dealership service wash' tends to be pretty bad.

UPDATE: only made a little progress over the last few days, santa ana winds have picked up and I don't want to risk any claying with all this dust in the air.

Santa Anas? Oh yeah, pass on touching the finish eeesh.

We are in this weird weather pattern where we have bad weather on weekends - Santa Ana winds with all their dust, or rain, or fog... (or holidays!)

At least it isn't snowing.

I know you've probably been busy, but any update?

We're not too patient around here :D

Too busy... detailed the 3500hd and the E55AMG, then left for Scottsdale. I'll be home for 24 hours on monday before I board a plane for Boulder... home Wednesday night... probably recover the following couple days so hopefully I can log some time this weekend.

Its crazy that despite working for a company that makes the stuff I have zero time to ACTUALLY DETAIL MY OWN RIDES!!

Too busy... detailed the 3500hd and the E55AMG, then left for Scottsdale. I'll be home for 24 hours on monday before I board a plane for Boulder... home Wednesday night... probably recover the following couple days so hopefully I can log some time this weekend.

Its crazy that despite working for a company that makes the stuff I have zero time to ACTUALLY DETAIL MY OWN RIDES!!

If your around Central FLoirda, i have a Tahoe you could help me out with. you could do demos on it. :bow:

• 3 weeks later...

Dylan, I know you haven't gotten around to polishing yet this go-round. For past details, though, I have some questions regarding polishing on a vehicle of this size (large truck/SUV).

Let's say you're going to do some "average" polishing for swirls using the green/orange/white pads. Approximately how many of each color pad would you use to keep them from becoming over-saturated with product?

Also, how many microfiber towels would you use in this process to remove the polish? Same question for wax removal....how many towels do you go through while waxing?

Dylan, I know you haven't gotten around to polishing yet this go-round. For past details, though, I have some questions regarding polishing on a vehicle of this size (large truck/SUV).

Let's say you're going to do some "average" polishing for swirls using the green/orange/white pads. Approximately how many of each color pad would you use to keep them from becoming over-saturated with product?

Also, how many microfiber towels would you use in this process to remove the polish? Same question for wax removal....how many towels do you go through while waxing?

Was just about to make a thread about this :lurk:

Yea... been too busy detailing other peoples cars to do my own unfortunately.

1-2 pads per session (each color) for a larger vehicle. You can technically get away with one set, just have to be very aware of how caked your pads are getting during the process.

As for towels... as many as it takes... usually I go thru about 4 singles and a couple doubles in any one detail. If one picks up some gunk or gets streaky I grab another one.

• 2 weeks later...

DAY 3 // PART 1:

So this project had been somewhat on the backburner due to weather and other commitments. Today started with a mini-customer emergency... at an event hosted by another company his car was used as a demo and they made a mess of it. After I fixed up his hood for him I figured since I had the stuff out already there was no time like today to start on the panel by panel correction of the truck.

Gave it a quick wash and stripped my first panel with IPA for inspection:

87c9e5f0.jpg

7b3c37ff.jpg

Started with the basics... FMP + White Pad on the Flex 3401:

aee6bf21.jpg

Removed Residue with a Double Soft:

5334c397.jpg

BAM!

64508b91.jpg

So happy when paint comes out with just a 1 step. There are a few deeper swirls that I'm going to spot address with SHR, but it looks like the bulk of the correction will be just FMP on the Flex.

f21c1c31.jpg

7a021a91.jpg

"von kleisting" in the glow of the reflected halogen light... back to work. More updates soon:

60e2d9be.jpg

Archived