Customer Service 866.965.0400

Can I fix my own dents?

Adamized

Question

I'm about to dive into Adams with the ultimate porter cable kit. :glasses:

Currently, in my family's rides my TL is the only one with door dings.

One on the passenger door on the left, then a very small one on the hood line, not even sure if it is a dent, because its hard to see.

My fear is that I will polish it all out and then our PDR guy will come over and just scratch it all up. :banned:

Is it possible to pull these dents by yourself?

Also, I;m removing my front license plate even though its required in MA, is it worth keeping the plate in the glove box if I get pulled over and say it fell off?

23 answers to this question

I'm about to dive into Adams with the ultimate porter cable kit. :glasses:

Currently, in my family's rides my TL is the only one with door dings.

One on the passenger door on the left, then a very small one on the hood line, not even sure if it is a dent, because its hard to see.

My fear is that I will polish it all out and then our PDR guy will come over and just scratch it all up. :banned:

Is it possible to pull these dents by yourself?

Also, I;m removing my front license plate even though its required in MA, is it worth keeping the plate in the glove box if I get pulled over and say it fell off?

I have watched a guy remove a couple of dents that I had in another vehicle. He had some weird looking tools and pushed them from the inside out.

Edited by LFairbanks

About 1 in 100 dents pop out like they pop in. Usually they are perfectly placed big panel dents.

It's harder than it looks and actually takes quite of bit of practice, tools and skill to become good. The PDR guys won't mess up your paint and are relatively cheap. Most will be able to tell you in advance if the dents is workable. If they can get to it then it's fixable most of the time.

If you want to try all those freezing techniques and crap you see on you tube, give it a go!

I have watched a guy remove a couple of dents that I had in another vehicle. He had some wierd looking tools and pushed them from the inside out.

Did he use a crazy mirror to check the reflection? It's quite cool to watch someone good work out dents.

Did he use a crazy mirror to check the reflection? It's quite cool to watch someone good work out dents.

I don't recall. I just remember him having a slew of weird stuff. I had no complaints with his work whatsoever. I notice the most minuscule stuff and I couldn't even see where the dent was originally.

The pdr guy I've watched push them out from the inside, your paint shouldn't be touched by his tools. For instance, your door, he will take off the interior panel and push it out from there. But I've only seen it done by one guy.

I would get the PDR guy to fix the dents, then polish out any scratches.

Agreed, PDR first, then polish. If it's a nice car let the pro do the PDR, if you're okay with practicing and unknown results you can certainly give it a try yourself. A good PDR guy is like like watching an artist. 4" focus pads may also help on the concentrated areas.

Bruce

I have had PDR done twice and neither time resulted in any paint damage. I would not attempt to remove them on my own even though I took auto body repair many ages ago in high school. It's an art form that requires hours of training and practice to perfect.

For your front plate you could always try something like this:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Show-Go-License-Plate-Holder/dp/B001TLLZ4E/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hg_1]Amazon.com: Show N Go License Plate Holder - Fully Powered w/Remote: Automotive[/ame]

Then if you get pulled over, pop it down.

I have had PDR done twice and neither time resulted in any paint damage. I would not attempt to remove them on my own even though I took auto body repair many ages ago in high school. It's an art form that requires hours of training and practice to perfect.

This

let the pdr guy fix them, then you fix anything he did to the paint, i would just ask in advance in a nice way if it will scratch your car in any way? Let him/her know you work hard to keep your paint in tiptop shape.

The usually go from the back and the front, just taping on the front with some specialized hammer. I've had my guy out to my house four times in the last few years (really cool dude) and he has never done anything that's worse than having a dent in my car.

Just pay the few hundred bucks, and if there is any minimal scratches, polish em out real quick. Better than having a dent in your car. I get mine pulled ever time I get a ding (well except the current one in my wife's rear quarter), that's a $1200 job that I inflicted.....soooo, it can wait.

Have any tried using a hair dryer and compressed air in a can (up side down), and have any success on removing dents?

A friend of mine tried it and ruined his paint by creating cracks in the paint. This method does work on some dents but I would not try it on my car due to the fact that you have to heat the panel up to 190-200* F....... If you go too high on the heat, the paint "could" get damaged.

TIP: Call a PDR pro if you value your paint.

A friend of mine tried it and ruined his paint by creating cracks in the paint. This method does work on some dents but I would not try it on my car due to the fact that you have to heat the panel up to 190-200* F....... If you go too high on the heat, the paint "could" get damaged.

TIP: Call a PDR pro if you value your paint.

Thanks! I know now not to try it.

I had a PDR guy pull one out of my truck last week... The truck was a little dirty and the first thing the guy did when he saw the dent was wipe the road grime away from the dent using his hand!!! I yelled once I realized once he was doing, but the damage had already been done. He couldn't figure out what the big deal was...

I almost asked for him to fix it, but decided I'd rather do it myself. Point of the story is, any type of body man, mechanic, or PDR guy can damage your paint, and it's especially noticable if your paint is perfect.

/end rant

I had a PDR guy pull one out of my truck last week... The truck was a little dirty and the first thing the guy did when he saw the dent was wipe the road grime away from the dent using his hand!!! I yelled once I realized once he was doing, but the damage had already been done. He couldn't figure out what the big deal was...

I almost asked for him to fix it, but decided I'd rather do it myself. Point of the story is, any type of body man, mechanic, or PDR guy can damage your paint, and it's especially noticable if your paint is perfect.

/end rant

"If you stay ready, you don't have to get ready." I would make sure it is clean well before some Goober comes along and creates scratches. :D