Customer Service 866.965.0400

How to wash the microfiber towels?

Mattmac1522

Question

21 answers to this question

Here you go...

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/microfiber-products/14121.htm

The next in my series of FAQ threads, addressing our most common questions and concerns with aspects of detailing.

Microfiber. Its probably one of the most, if not THE most important part of a paint correction and care routine. All the effort spent polishing and cleaning can be undone in an instant if the wrong towels are used.

Being that microfiber plays such a pivotal role in the 'shine enthusiasts' collection it seems only fitting that they should receive the appropriate care and cleaning to insure a long and useful life.

PROPER MICROFIBER CLEANING:

1. Always separate lights and darks as well as heavily soiled towels to avoid cross contamination.
  2. Wash dark towels and heavily soiled towels (like ones used for metal polishing) in a separate load from other towels. Wash microfiber only with other microfiber, do not mix with cotton or other materials.
  3. Pre-treat any stains with Adam's APC.
  4. Machine wash using a warm water setting and extra rinse cycle if the machine is equipped.
  5. Use only a liquid laundry detergent, no granulated, preferably an allergen free detergent that contains no dyes or perfumes.
  6. Machine dry on a low heat setting with no fabric softener.

SOME TIPS FOR MICROFIBER TOWEL & APPLICATOR CARE:

• Pre-Soak: If you know your detail will be a long one, and you'll be going thru a lot of towels, start a pre-soak bucket. Fill a bucket 1/2 - 2/3rds full of water, add approximately 3-4oz of APC and stir. As towels are used up toss them in the bucket to soak. When the detail is done, pull them out, wring out excess water, and proceed with your usual wash routine. The pre-soak will help prevent stubborn stains from setting in and make routine cleaning easier.

• Taking it a Step Further: Put a grit guard in the bottom of your pre-soak bucket. Larger contamination dislodged from the towels in the soaking process will then be kept separate from the towels and making sure they come as clean as possible in the wash.

• Spot Treatments: Sometimes there will be spots that just don't come out in the wash. Fear not! Most times a more concentrated cleaning in that area and another washing will remove them or at least reduce them. Use full strength Adam's APC to spot treat, scrub really well with your fingers or against a grit guard to work the cleaner in deep. Flush with water and wash as usual.

• Storage: Microfiber towels should always be stored in a clean, dust free environment. Avoid storing them where small creepy-crawly critters may find their way into the pile so you don't end up with an unpleasant surprise. Plastic storage totes make excellent storage and organization systems for your towels while ensuring you'll have clean, dust free towels at the ready.

• Air Dry If Possible: Machine drying your towels is fine, but any amount of abuse you can spare them will help prolong their lives. If possible line/air dry your towels, they may feel a tad crispy, but this is remedied simply with a mist of Waterless Wash or Detail Spray before use or even a few second tumble in the dryer.

• Boiling Towels: Over time your towels may accumulate a buildup of waxes, polish residue, polymers, or even fabric softener residue from the dryer. The best way to remedy lack of absorbency or linting from these issues is boiling -

2. Simply bring a large pot of water to boil
    3. Add in 2-3 capfuls of white vinegar.
    4. Add a couple towels at a time and allow them to boil.
    5. Try to avoid allowing the towels to sit against the sides or bottom of the pot for too long.
    6. After a few moments pull each towel out (using tongs to be safe) and flush under cool water.
    7. Wash these towels using your usual routine and they should be as good as new!

Like anything else detailing, taking good care of your tools and accessories means they'll take good care of you. Microfiber being 100% man made means its much more durable than many naturally occurring fibers, so make sure to treat your towels with care and they'll serve you well for a long time!

AWESOME! I think I have 2 towels that have seen so much use they have built up wax residue that washing won't get out.

Its almost a certainty at some point towels will get clogged up with stuff... washing can only remove so much since the fibers hold on so well. A boiling will get them back to 'like new' again. :2thumbs:

Its almost a certainty at some point towels will get clogged up with stuff... washing can only remove so much since the fibers hold on so well. A boiling will get them back to 'like new' again. :2thumbs:

Boiling FTW, i had some stuff that was ground in there from multiple corrections and I boiled them and used vinegar too, good as new :D

Separate lights from darks? Are the only darks the black utility micros? Do the glass/waterless get washed with the white micros?

Generally I separate all the colors, but have been known to wash the waterless wash towels with the great whites.

I always wash the black towels separate. And I always wash the glass towels separate, usually end up washing the glass towels by hand in the sink. Had too much problem with the glass towels picking up lint (from either the washer or dryer) that would then get deposited on the windshield so I have reverted to usually washing those by hand.

:cheers:

26 minutes ago, camarodude1995 said:

Bringing back a dead thread but I do have a question:

I noticed it says to only use a specific laundry detergent, if we don't own the adams microfiber cleaner what detergent would work well without damaging the towels that I can buy at a local store?

All Free and Clear.

9 hours ago, camarodude1995 said:

I noticed it says to only use a specific laundry detergent, if we don't own the adams microfiber cleaner what detergent would work well without damaging the towels that I can buy at a local store?

8 hours ago, funkymonkey1111 said:

All Free and Clear.

Agreed on All Free & Clear...others like Tide. But really, any dye/perfume-free liquid detergent will work. Never use fabric softener, sheets or liquid. And use the extra rinse function if your washer has it.

When possible, pick up the MRB...worth every penny.

9 hours ago, camarodude1995 said:

9 hours ago, funkymonkey1111 said:

All Free and Clear.

While that laundry detergent may work OK on drying towels, it is not strong enough to completely remove waxes, sealants or some other chemicals from your towels.  Even Detail Spray on the drying towels may not get completely cleaned out of the towels.

While the towels may appear clean after the wash, the chemicals not removed will build up deep in the fibers of the towels, which reduces their performance and will eventually ruin them.

To keep your towels in good shape, and make your investment last as long as possible, use Microfiber Revitalizer & Brightener.

17 minutes ago, TheWolf said:

While that laundry detergent may work OK on drying towels, it is not strong enough to completely remove waxes, sealants or some other chemicals from your towels.  Even Detail Spray on the drying towels may not get completely cleaned out of the towels.

While the towels may appear clean after the wash, the chemicals not removed will build up deep in the fibers of the towels, which reduces their performance and will eventually ruin them.

To keep your towels in good shape, and make your investment last as long as possible, use Microfiber Revitalizer & Brightener.

Dan gives some sound advice here.

Question, Dan...is soaking them/pretreating with APC before using liquid detergent a good practice in the meantime?

Edited by falcaineer

Agreed on the MRB but another trick that I use is the occasional wash with white vinegar. I do this as a second wash, so once through with MRB and hot water then again right away with about a cup of white vinegar (no detergent at all) and warm or cool water. It seems to clean out any residual chemicals and brightens and softens the towels. I don't do it often, maybe once or twice a season. 

I attended a class at Mobile Tech Expo on Friday presented by The Rag Company titled 'Microfiber 101'.  A whole hour on microfiber, and it was very interesting! 

• They do recommend pre-soaking, if you have time, and an APC will work, but as Dan said, MFBR will work fine too.  They also recommended soaking a coating (or H20 G&G) towel ASAP to remove as much residue as possible.  It is up to you if you want to use the coating removal/leveling towel again on paint, or demote it.  
  • They recommended adding a few ounces of distilled white vinegar to the bleach tray, but NOT to the wash.  If added with the soap it will reduce the cleaning level of the soap. 
  • It was also recommended to skip the Hot setting, as MF can melt at 140F, and some hot water heaters may be set to that, or higher.  I use the Hot setting for my white polishing towels without issue, but results may differ. 

And just a few things that 'everybody already knows' about microfiber:

• Never use bleach or fabric softener
  • Never use anything above Low heat on the dryer
  • Never use dryer sheets when drying
  • NEVER wash cotton towels with MF towels

And a tip from the forum, clean the machine (machine setting or Washer cleaning product) before washing your best towels (and my wife makes me clean it afterwards too!)

Edited by mc2hill