Customer Service 866.965.0400

Porter Cable or Competition's Machine?

icon

Question

found this deal on the web:

EDITED: Hyperlink to a competitor product is forbidden.

I know the differences in specs so I'm just wondering if you could share your your experiences with each machine.

I also wanted to stick with Adam's products so I'm curious if I need the Adam's pads to use the Adam's polishes. If so, would the Adam's pads attach to the Griot's machine?

I also have zero experience in polishing but from what I've heard both machine's are beginner friendly.

Thanks for the tips guys!

14 answers to this question

I haven't use the other machine either, but as Anthony pointed out, lots of here have and will be better able to lend support in your efforts to use the Porter Cable. And don't forget that Adam's stands behind the products they sell with their 110% guarantee!

:banana:

I am not familiar with their machine. I don't know how well our juice will work on their pads either. Our stuff was designed to work on the pads we sell. Also, our pads I believe aren't quite 6", nor would our backing plate attach to their machine...at least to my knowledge.

I have used both machines and both have their ups and downs. Personally I just feel more comfortable with the PC, i started with it and have my most wheel time with it. I think you should go with the PC as almost everyone here who get a machine goes with the PC first, there is a copious amount of info about PC polishing here and very machine specific info. When starting off its great to have exact comparisons as you can easily narrow down your problems with technique and such if you are comparing on the same machine as others.

I'm personally at a loss to explain the recent popularity of that polisher... its produced by a company thats approached us many times to produce a 'private label tool' in any color with any casing we want. Of course they're in China.

The same tool is sold at various price points by at least 4 companies that I know of... the EXACT same tool, just with different housing colors and minor tweaks to the outward appearance. My personal favorite was a guy selling them at my local car swap meet... the tool was green plastic, came in a hemp carrying bag, and was the 'eco-polisher' or something to that effect.

Spec wise its essentially identical, min & max speeds, amps, etc. to the PC7424xp... the only thing people will point to as being better is that it doesn't 'bog down' under pressure. I guess that can be considered a 'plus' but if you think about how to properly use a polisher, requiring more pressure to slow the pad seems like a negative in my eyes. It would require MORE effort to do the same work.

Admittedly the D-ring handle is nice, but aside from that I'm not sure I'd say theres much benefit one over the other.

Long story short, theres nothing 'wrong' with the tool you're asking about... I just don't know if theres anything that REALLY makes it better than the PC.

Just to follow up on what Dylan just wrote, I have to say I love my PC. It's truly a solid, well-made machine. In all my life I've never regretted paying more to buy a top-quality tool, and more often than not I've been disappointed when I buy a cheaper tool.

I'm personally at a loss to explain the recent popularity of that polisher... its produced by a company thats approached us many times to produce a 'private label tool' in any color with any casing we want. Of course they're in China.

The same tool is sold at various price points by at least 4 companies that I know of... the EXACT same tool, just with different housing colors and minor tweaks to the outward appearance. My personal favorite was a guy selling them at my local car swap meet... the tool was green plastic, came in a hemp carrying bag, and was the 'eco-polisher' or something to that effect.

Spec wise its essentially identical, min & max speeds, amps, etc. to the PC7424xp... the only thing people will point to as being better is that it doesn't 'bog down' under pressure. I guess that can be considered a 'plus' but if you think about how to properly use a polisher, requiring more pressure to slow the pad seems like a negative in my eyes. It would require MORE effort to do the same work.

Admittedly the D-ring handle is nice, but aside from that I'm not sure I'd say theres much benefit one over the other.

Long story short, theres nothing 'wrong' with the tool you're asking about... I just don't know if theres anything that REALLY makes it better than the PC.

I almost went looking for looking for your old post that said the same thing. My boss thanks you for posting this! :D

Griots have lifetime warranty...that's good to know that PC also has lifetime warranty with Adams. I thought it only had a 3 year limited warranty from PC.

And from what I have heard you need the lifetime warranty. I have a friend that has one and it died after 3 uses. He did get it replaced under warranty, but was without the tool for several weeks. He primarily uses the PC now.

Archived